Typhon “lil Reds” 3s to 4s Build...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... So tell me why I'm trying to figure the purpose of a motor that size with my set up would that motor run on 3-/4s and if so speed or brute

Ok... So tell me why I'm trying to figure the purpose of a motor that size with my set up would that motor run on 3-/4s and if so speed or brute
Use punctuation. I have to read it like 5 times to get what your saying. 🤷‍♂️ I get it if your on a phone, but it still makes it harder for the rest of us.
The motor would run on 3s and 4s. It wouldn't get very warm on 3s, and it would get warm-hot on 4s. You could probably get away with using a 3200kv motor for 4s, but it wouldn't last as long. The speed-brute depends a lot on your gearing too. It will be plenty power imho though.

Ok.lol..so try it the 6th time.. . I don't know anything about motors..so that being said and with my current 150 amp esc..and me only wanting to run 3s & 4s more street and no hard bashing just back yard chase the dog stuff and wanting better performance than stock why would the 4400kv not accomplish that..
Use punctuation. I have to read it like 5 times to get what your saying. 🤷‍♂️ I get it if your on a phone, but it still makes it harder for the rest of us.
The motor would run on 3s and 4s. It wouldn't get very warm on 3s, and it would get warm-hot on 4s. You could probably get away with using a 3200kv motor for 4s, but it wouldn't last as long. The speed-brute depends a lot on your gearing too. It will be plenty power imho though.
Ok so would the 540xl better suited for the task or simply go back stock just run the 150amp esc and do 4s whenever?

Ok.lol..so try it the 6th time.. . I don't know anything about motors..so that being said and with my current 150 amp esc..and me only wanting to run 3s & 4s more street and no hard bashing just back yard chase the dog stuff and wanting better performance than stock why would the 4400kv not accomplish that..
Sorry if I made it sound like it wouldn't work. It would, it's just the motor would get hotter than if you had a lower kv motor. If you hadn't already bought a motor, i'd go a little lower. Like a 3200kv motor. If you already bought it, it should work. If your running 4s, full throttle the whole time, the motor will most likely get too hot.. Maybe just watch the motor temp, and if you think its getting too hot, get a heatsink and/or fan for it. If you can't touch the motor for more than 10-30seconds, it's too hot. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe these will help you understand the kv thing. I still don't understand it completely.

https://www.minipro.com/blogs/articles/motor-turns-kv-rating#:~:text=Kv describes the RPM (revolutions,physical attribute of a motor.

https://www.rotordronepro.com/understanding-kv-ratings/#outer-popup

Last edited:
Sorry if I made it sound like it wouldn't. It would, it's just the motor would get hotter than if you had a lower kv motor. If you hadn't already bought a motor, i'd go a little lower. Like a 3200kv motor. If you already bought it, it should work. If your running 4s, full throttle the whole time, the motor will most likely get too hot.. Maybe just watch the motor temp, and if you think its getting too hot, get a heatsink and/or fan for it. If you can't touch the motor for more than 10-30seconds, it's too
So would that make the 2400kv to small or large to fit my purpose as compared with the 3200 kv that I had running on 20t? that's what I'm not quite understanding

So would that make the 2400kv to small or large to fit my purpose as compared with the 3200 kv that I had running on 20t? that's what I'm not quite understanding
The 2400kv will fit physically, it is what's in the 4s outcast and 4s kraton.

From what I understand, the 2400kv won't have as much power as the 3200kv motor. But, the 2400kv motor won't get as hot as the 3200kv motor because the RPM is lower in the 2400kv motor. So you have to find a kv that is in the middle, or the highest you can go without over heating. So the 4400kv (or whatever you have) should work, but it will get hotter than normal, depending on your gearing. It has more revolutions per volt than the 3200kv motor.

Or if you have a lower kv motor, you could use a bigger pinion or smaller spur gear to get more speed out of your car. Larger tires will make the car go faster and smaller tires will make it go slower. The bigger pinion is the easiest, but the highest you can go is 26T on the stock motor mount.

The 2400kv will fit physically, it is what's in the 4s outcast and 4s kraton.

From what I understand, the 2400kv won't have as much power as the 3200kv motor. But, the 2400kv motor won't get as hot as the 3200kv motor because the RPM is lower in the 2400kv motor. So you have to find a kv that is in the middle, or the highest you can go without over heating. So the 4400kv (or whatever you have) should work, but it will get hotter than normal, depending on your gearing. It has more revolutions per volt than the 3200kv motor.

Or if you have a lower kv motor, you could put a bigger pinion or smaller spur gear to get more speed out of it. The bigger pinion is the easiest, but the highest you can go is 26T on the stock motor mount.
And the lower kv one is the 540xl 2400 I have correct.. because thats where i loose my poop but I think i get it.. if lower means 2400kv as compared to 4400 kv..then it should be if im correct 2400kv gear up pinion 4400 kv gear down pinion ?

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Wow thank you now I get it..so let me ask this does a simple larger esc(150amp) swap in effect push a stock motor(3200kv) better than stock esc(100amp) and if so would the 150amp esc do better with the 2400kv with gearing or the 3200kv hope this makes sense.

Wow thank you now I get it..so let me ask this does a simple larger esc(150amp) swap in effect push a stock motor(3200kv) better than stock esc(100amp) and if so would the 150amp esc do better with the 2400kv with gearing or the 3200kv hope this makes sense.
I don't think the gearing would affect it, but I would just go with the bigger esc to make sure. I think it goes like this: 100 amp:3s, 120 amp:4s 150 amp:6s. Don't run 4s on 100amp though.

Volts x kv= rpm
Most motors crap out around 50k. So, 3s being 11.1v times 4400= 48840. It'll likely get real hot, maybe even fry. I'd still try it on 3s. You'll prolly get some cogging at low end, but high end will scream. Might be worth trying a few different pinions

I don't think the gearing would affect it, but I would just go with the bigger esc to make sure. I think it goes like this: 100 amp:3s, 120 amp:4s 150 amp:6s. Don't run 4s on 100amp though.
Ok..so my esc should be fully capable to run 6s I only need 3s /4s ..therefore I just need a motor that can handle the load of 3s/4s ..then from there's gearing and a few other factors come into play depending on purpose
..if I understand. So therefore certain motors can handle the load(voltage) which is better in a sense to have a starting point ...yes?

are you speedrunning or parking lot bashing??3670-2850kv or 4068-2650kv would be good.ive tried many different motor esc combos...the Quikrun 150a is the best esc under 100$ in my opinion. Can't kill-um.they can run on 5s also..Mines been in mojave,notorious,senton6 and big rock.under water,in lots of crashs..

20200818_202937.jpg

Thank you for the response my questions are
1: 3670kv -2850kv is better for speed and the latter4068-2650kv is better for bashing ..(torque) or are you saying there's a difference in 3s/4s capabilities ..all I'm trying to achieve is better(Faster) than stock 3s..and I figured 4s upgrade would be the sure fire way to get to that .

Thank you for the response my questions are
1: 3670kv -2850kv is better for speed and the latter4068-2650kv is better for bashing ..(torque) or are you saying there's a difference in 3s/4s capabilities ..all I'm trying to achieve is better(Faster) than stock 3s..and I figured 4s upgrade would be the sure fire way to get to that .
4068-2650kv is perfect for 4s.
I run 78mph an kept going airborne on 6s with blx185-4068-2650kv.heres with 21t on 4s with 107 hoons.expect 10mph less.heres what I run in mine..

Screenshot_20201108-151515_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20200920_100936.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-221901.jpg

40 mm motor will have more torque an run cooler..could run 4068 on 3s an match 3200kv motor speed with taller gearing(23-25).4068 is rated for 16.8volts.(almost 5s)ive run them on 6s alot,only burned 1 up.
Heres my big rock on 6s with blx185 system. 4068-2650kv would be 10-20mph faster.

Last edited:
  1. First thing I did was lose that lousy factory controller went with the dumborc 6channel with gyro..boy talk about difference in night and day
  2. RPM Front and Rear Arms
  3. ProTek RC Servo
  4. HD 57T slipper /20t pinion
  5. Replaced all bearings
  6. upgraded the shocks
  7. proline wheels and a set of outcast Hoons since they look so much nicer than factory.
  8. Quicrun 08 WP8BL150 esc
  9. Motor undecided..headache 🤕

View attachment 143858Update:

1. First thing I did was lose that lousy factory controller went with the dumborc 6channel with gyro..boy talk about difference in night and day
  3. ProTek RC Servo
  5. Replaced all bearings
  6. upgraded the shocks
  7. proline wheels and a set of outcast Hoons since they look so much nicer than factory.

View attachment 143858

3. ProTek RC Servo
  5. Replaced all bearings
  6. upgraded the shocks

View attachment 143858
Update
10.Went with 2400kv..currently running 20t..perhaps go up a few teeth once I try 4s haven't tried 4s yet still looking into 4s Batteries cost
11.T-Bone Bumpers Front & Rear installed..
12: Hot Racing Bell Crank arrived today so it will be installed today..
13.??????

Stuffed1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back