Outcast 1/1 runs over 1/8...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cccprobot

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all, been lurking for awhile and, unfortunately, have something relevant\interesting to post. A couple months or so ago I managed to snag and orange 2018 Outcast after reading a thread here where somebody recommended their LHS as a source. The thread was a few weeks old but it was still in stock so I jumped on it. I put the newer T-Bone front on, Voltage servo mount and dual YR fans\heatsink. Been bashing and learning to land jumps and flips and all the fun stuff.

Fast forward to last weekend when my 7 year old and I headed to a retention pond with a killer berm to jump. We'd been there before and brought the Outcast and a Redcat Shredder V2. After batteries went low and we had our fill, we headed back. I carried the dead Shredder and let the boy drive the Outcast as he's done before. We were on a sidewalk along a busy 45mph road when he stopped. I watched as the Outcast started reversing.....he was panicking and clearly not in control at this point. It picked up speed and veered off the curb just in time for an F150 to hit it with its rear passenger tire. Bear in mind, this is my first breakage of anything on this truck lol!

Anyway, when the dust settled and we made sure we had everything, I started the process of seeing how bad it was and if I could actually fix it.

• Body, not that bad actually. Couple punctures and a crease across the windshield. Also one totalled body clip
  • Shocks, three shock eyelets ripped through. However looks like no damage to any other part of the shocks, including the shafts.
  • Upper left arm, stripped out the ball.
  • Front shock tower is very very bent
  • And then the one I didn't notice till I started tearing it down: The chassis is twisted at the rear diff case mounting position.
Here's the pics:

9n9pa801htjg8t3vkf6gprdyugw5zbgx.jpg

ovcbuj6fesr2yifczg7lygu82uf368jk.jpg

dctd8kuuvqq26b3tejgkpknvljvir37m.jpg

ookfr0sfckzrmfdbcqcc72zp985btq3v.jpg

I gotta say, I'm stupefied at how tough this thing is considering what happened. The biggest issue here is the chassis. I've managed to untwist is to a point where it looks ok....but I'm not sure I want to re-assemble and trust it at this point. There seem to be a few on Ebay, but not in stock anywhere else. Do I trust Ebay?
I have a pile of the other parts arriving this week and I'm anxious to see this beast re-born sooner than later.
Thanks for all the great threads that have helped me a lot as I've gotten me and my boys into the hobby. We're loving it.

Dang @cccprobot I was expecting to see a much more mangled RC after seeing the title of a 1:1 car running it over.

As for trusting eBay, I don't have any issues with eBay. Then again I don't buy from new accounts or accounts with bad reviews. Regarding parts availability you'll be happy to know that looks like it should be changing almost any day now according to an email one of our members here received and shared with us: PARTS ARE COMING...PARTS ARE COMING!

Hey all, been lurking for awhile and, unfortunately, have something relevant\interesting to post. A couple months or so ago I managed to snag and orange 2018 Outcast after reading a thread here where somebody recommended their LHS as a source. The thread was a few weeks old but it was still in stock so I jumped on it. I put the newer T-Bone front on, Voltage servo mount and dual YR fans\heatsink. Been bashing and learning to land jumps and flips and all the fun stuff.

Fast forward to last weekend when my 7 year old and I headed to a retention pond with a killer berm to jump. We'd been there before and brought the Outcast and a Redcat Shredder V2. After batteries went low and we had our fill, we headed back. I carried the dead Shredder and let the boy drive the Outcast as he's done before. We were on a sidewalk along a busy 45mph road when he stopped. I watched as the Outcast started reversing.....he was panicking and clearly not in control at this point. It picked up speed and veered off the curb just in time for an F150 to hit it with its rear passenger tire. Bear in mind, this is my first breakage of anything on this truck lol!

Anyway, when the dust settled and we made sure we had everything, I started the process of seeing how bad it was and if I could actually fix it.

• Body, not that bad actually. Couple punctures and a crease across the windshield. Also one totalled body clip
  • Shocks, three shock eyelets ripped through. However looks like no damage to any other part of the shocks, including the shafts.
  • Upper left arm, stripped out the ball.
  • Front shock tower is very very bent
  • And then the one I didn't notice till I started tearing it down: The chassis is twisted at the rear diff case mounting position.
Here's the pics:

9n9pa801htjg8t3vkf6gprdyugw5zbgx.jpg

ovcbuj6fesr2yifczg7lygu82uf368jk.jpg

dctd8kuuvqq26b3tejgkpknvljvir37m.jpg

ookfr0sfckzrmfdbcqcc72zp985btq3v.jpg

I gotta say, I'm stupefied at how tough this thing is considering what happened. The biggest issue here is the chassis. I've managed to untwist is to a point where it looks ok....but I'm not sure I want to re-assemble and trust it at this point. There seem to be a few on Ebay, but not in stock anywhere else. Do I trust Ebay?
I have a pile of the other parts arriving this week and I'm anxious to see this beast re-born sooner than later.
Thanks for all the great threads that have helped me a lot as I've gotten me and my boys into the hobby. We're loving it.

My Outcast does the same thing when I stop. It will twitch in reverse and then take off backwards until I hit the throttle in forward. Even after burning out the stock ESC and putting a max 6 in it, still does it.

A lot of my RC's do this, with several different makes of radios and ESC's. I read somewhere this is a sign the neutral deadband is too small. But not all ESC's have neutral deadband adjustment... :(

Thanks for the replies guys. FOrgot to mention, this was also the first run after I had installed the YR dual fans. I spliced the fans together and plugged them into an empty spot in the receiver. I never had any throttle issues before.....but on this run, reverse was actually totally gone....until obviously it wasn't! Had brakes, just no reverse. *shrug*

Dang @cccprobot I was expecting to see a much more mangled RC after seeing the title of a 1:1 car running it over.

As for trusting eBay, I don't have any issues with eBay. Then again I don't buy from new accounts or accounts with bad reviews. Regarding parts availability you'll be happy to know that looks like it should be changing almost any day now according to an email one of our members here received and shared with us: PARTS ARE COMING...PARTS ARE COMING!

Yeah, I really was astounded by the somewhat limited damage. I mean, you can see the tire marks on the body and I know he was doing at least 35. I thought he was going to stop and yell at us but he just kept truckin'.

I read that thread as well so we'll keep an eye out. I'll take a chance on this Ebay chassis at $29 in the meantime.

Thanks for the replies guys. FOrgot to mention, this was also the first run after I had installed the YR dual fans. I spliced the fans together and plugged them into an empty spot in the receiver. I never had any throttle issues before.....but on this run, reverse was actually totally gone....until obviously it wasn't! Had brakes, just no reverse. *shrug*

I also have YR dual fans and bought a Y connector and plugged it in to my reciever. With my Outcast, I have to kind of gently put it in to reverse to activate it I guess, but then I can just punch it in reverse and it has normal power. When I bring it to a stop and just quickly hit reverse, nothing hapeens. I can just keep hitting it in reverse and it will just sit there till I ease it in. It's weird. Haha reverse has always been funny on mine.

It's my understanding that reverse is delayed to prevent going forward to reverse while rolling and damaging ESC/motor/drivetrain.

It's my understanding that reverse is delayed to prevent going forward to reverse while rolling and damaging ESC/motor/drivetrain.
That makes sense, but that's not what was happening on that day. I had no reverse at all....just brakes. And then, the truck seemingly decided to reverse on its own after 30 minutes of no reversing. The only thing that changed between it working correctly and not, was me plugging in the dual fans into the receiver.

Yeah, That was more a response to Paultro84's last post. It's possible those fans plugged into the receiver are creating a harmonics issue on that circuit that is interfearing with the signal causing weird stuff to happen. I know the servo is powered there but it is a different motor and is an intermittent load.

Yeah, That was more a response to Paultro84's last post. It's possible those fans plugged into the receiver are creating a harmonics issue on that circuit that is interfearing with the signal causing weird stuff to happen. I know the servo is powered there but it is a different motor and is an intermittent load.

Excellent observation, thanks man. I'm going to do testing as I rebuild with the power source for those fans. I know others have spliced it in elsewhere. I should be able to test with the motor\esc\servo\receiver unbolted from the chassis.

On another note, Has it ever been really wet ? They claim these things are "waterproof" but I beg to differ with that. I accidentally swamped one (BLX 185) for about ten seconds. Dried it out and all seemed well UNTIL- it became Bi Polar. Randomly lost steering (hit fence) throttle (stopped moving on street, nearly had your durability test incident). Then, Turned transmitter on, turned ESC on. Thing went Postal, flipped over, off bench, ran over me, across garage into wall and flipped on it's lid WOT. All in the second and a half it took to turn the transmitter off (which thankfully shut it down). No telling what evil deed it would have done next. ESC is now forever preserved in the local landfill.

Nope, not wet at all. At most, I drove it through a foot-wide inch of water once. That would make more sense because, yeah, moisture seems to wreak all kinds of havoc on electronics long after it's "dry"

Surprised the body is in such good shape, I know it's a tough body but I expected it to be crushed like a bug

Progress: slowly being reborn. @Voltage Hobbies front mount in red cause red is cool. Still waiting on a set of RPM arms and the little nylon spacer that goes between the pivot ball and the upper arm. I was able to straighten the chassis out fairly well with a vice and a three pound sledge and patience.

87bcp0m1e1ba2oswhs0hxsv3hcw72v85.jpg

And here's my solution for keeping track of the million screws from the chassis. Kid's crayon and a sheet of printer paper:D:

t6icaug39f2xiccnbrys2ngujas6veyb.jpg

Updates: It lives again! I ended up snagging an unused chassis off Ebay and rebuilt completely on that. I think the original would have worked after I straightened it as much as I could, but I just feel better about a new one.

RPM fronts installed and shocks repaired

kt9dv7djtuscmaxxm70lzorer2arybee.jpg

First runs after rebuild on 4th of July:

hzd2klcq4307lxdf8t1hrtxn3cytjq7k.jpg

Chillin with a TRMT10E

sclk9jciiy5gr1am4sqx1dm549ri4tau.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back