1/10 Carpet/Clay buggy… I need one but which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudUMfan

Go Big, Go Fast. Go Blue!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon TLR
Hey AF. Yes… I know it’s an Arrma forum. But you guys know everything about everything. Since getting my Mini B and immediately upgrading it to 3s brushless, aluminum steering, servo…(before and after pics) this indoor carpet racing is not only super fun? It’s hard as hell!! It’s a mini rocket! I enjoy bashing and still working on my DBXL-E I smashed. But looking for a 1/10 scale buggy. No bandit. I have one.

I want RTR, as I’m a noob. Most serious racers are kits.My choices I’ve seen are
Typhon Mega-immediately needing a new motor/speed controller etc.
TA DB 10 ( like this a lot)
Serpent Spyder SRX
Then a crap ton of no name poop crap
Like the Corally. Didn’t see one.

I have two Typhon’s but wanted to cut my teeth on the Mini and a little larger one for the summer outdoor track season.

As hard as driving a Mini B rocket is? I figured once I got that down? I can handle any other track. For those that haven’t tried it? You can send your rig 100’ and triple back flip it… but you will never make a clean run on a carpet track with a brushed mini. Lol. It’s crazy hard.

Any suggestions on a solid brushless indoor/outdoor buggy or I guess stadium truck.

C4FAD8C9-1030-434B-A1FE-C268F768BE73.jpeg

91A6C377-F41A-4DF3-AD5A-963D9DE8942E.jpeg

C6693470-306E-42B2-A52B-13C242E5D54F.jpeg

1B1A2262-3FBE-4468-B61C-6709F920941F.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on your decided choice to go up a notch in scale racing to 1/10 ! However , this is just my opinion , you say you're a noob and want a RTR , I think you should really consider a kit . Reason is , they are better quality , more parts support , more racers at your track will have them and be able to help with your driving / setup . NTM , if you do like it , it won't be long before you see this comment and want to go to kits anyway .
I run indoor carpet 1/10 2wd SCT ( extremely high grip ) , you want to talk about hard to drive !!! LOL I picked the class that is the hardest to dial in as being heavier / cumbersome / etc , but has been a fun adventure as my crew has gotten our trucks dialed in and fast . It is rewarding when you are running laps right next to or faster than a buggy or stadium truck ! They are like WTF ???? LOL
Don't be scared of kits !! Buggy seems to be the largest class wherever you go , Team Associated B6.3 or I think the 4 is out now , would be a great starting point .

I’m not afraid of a kit. It’s a great way for me to learn how to put a car together and it’s larger than the Mini…which I needed a magnifying glass to work on it! I’m leaning towards both. Buying the DB 10 and getting the Losi race kit.

Any race kit you chose will be a great experience !
I have an SC6.1 and recently built an Xray SCX just cause I wanted a new truck to try and always heard great things about Xray , however the parts are more $$$ and my LHS doesn't have them on the wall like the SC6.1 Associated .
So pick a brand that your LHS has most parts in stock if you break something , namely arms !!! LOL

I’m not afraid of a kit. It’s a great way for me to learn how to put a car together and it’s larger than the Mini…which I needed a magnifying glass to work on it! I’m leaning towards both. Buying the DB 10 and getting the Losi race kit.
When I started racing, I'd look at what everyone else was using, combos with each chassis, cost, set ups ETC.

The best way to know you are on even playing grounds is to buy what some of the fastest guys are using, finding out what set up they run (camber/castor/Toe/Rebound/Ride heights ETC) and when you still can't hang with them in lap times, you'll know it aint your car. ;) Best way to learn is to get out there keep driving. I LOVE racing RC's, no one around me does 1/8 Nitro outdoor anymore :(

I did it one be time? Addicted. My LHS has Losi and Team Associated so I’ll go with one of those. But the LHS track is small and perfect for the Mini. I’ll master that while I build my first car and earn my Build Contributor banner! 😁 I do have an indoor dirt track 30 miles from me. I think I’ll take the 3S Typhon. The TLR would be way to much car for my driving skill. Plus I can totally destroy this. I have an entire kit from Jenny’s to fix it. Lol Talion off limits too.

A5DA0A3A-38B9-4AF4-BA30-5D1E3CE60B57.jpeg

Last edited:
As we speak , I'm loading up the 2 trucks heading to my LHS to just do a Saturday practice / run laps / tune on the trucks with my SCT crew !!! LOL See what getting into RC racing does !!! LOL
Always remember the phrase " slower is faster " !!

As we speak , I'm loading up the 2 trucks heading to my LHS to just do a Saturday practice / run laps / tune on the trucks with my SCT crew !!! LOL See what getting into RC racing does !!! LOL
I wish I had a group of good dudes I could go practice/race with by me. All these jabroni's by me that do indoor are in RC clicks that I just won't be a part of.

I wish I had a group of good dudes I could go practice/race with by me. All these jabroni's by me that do indoor are in RC clicks that I just won't be a part of.
My crew that I go with , about 5-6 of us , all great guys , sometimes we have more fun going to run laps than racing .

I need to find a bigger track and making friends isn’t my problem! Lol. The reason I upgraded my car immediately was because I WAS being blown away by brushless dynamite motors. I went Spektrum. The guy that had it said all the same. His wife had a brushless stadium mini truck that ripped too. Linked it to my 3S Typhon radio and ready to buy a couple of 3S batteries. Now… how do I change them? Adapter? Spectrum Dual smart charger.

I need to find a bigger track and making friends isn’t my problem! Lol. The reason I upgraded my car immediately was because I WAS being blown away by brushless dynamite motors. I went Spektrum. The guy that had it said all the same. His wife had a brushless stadium mini truck that ripped too. Linked it to my 3S Typhon radio and ready to buy a couple of 3S batteries. Now… how do I change them? Adapter? Spectrum Dual smart charger.
Just have to solder on new connectors. (y)

I agree with other responses to get a real racing 1/10 scale, don’t think Typhon will fit the bill… it’s too big for indoors, and probably not competitive at all outdoors I would imagine. A great car, don’t get me wrong, but not going to fit your racing slot well.

I was in the same boat, and I rebuilt an old Losi, 22–4 totally agree how hard it is compared to bashing!

If you are a noob to wrenching, I would suggest finding one that has mechanical differentials instead of the ball diffs. I don’t know if what everything has these days, but I know ball differentials are a pain in the butt kind of if you’re just learning to wrench.

Agreed that the Typhon is not the car.

Typhon is 1/8 scale.

If you want a 1/10 carpet buggy kit, here's my opinion on the top choices:

The TLR buggy is old, don't get that. The Kyosho is way old, don't get that.

If you must get an RTR, definitely get the RB10, not the DB10. The Associated rear motor race buggy. Swap out the servo and radio and it'll be pretty decent.

And yes, mini-buggy on carpet is extremely hard, if you can do that you'll find 1/10 a piece of cake.

For now I did buy a RB 10. I have the funds and I’ll save for the kit. I haven’t found a larger track with league racing or a good group to run with. I will try a few.

D687B5C3-7BD4-4270-A32F-13FA6142D5D3.jpeg

Edit: So what if I do want to upgrade to a roller? Motor/ESC combo suggestions are welcome, and I love the SAVOX. Just waiting to see how I like it and the speed. My brushes mini is crazy fast. Thank you @razorrc for the reminder.

Last edited:
Not sure why you got an RTR if the first thing you want to do is take out all of the electronics and get rid of them, but OK.

Not sure why you got an RTR if the first thing you want to do is take out all of the electronics and get rid of them, but OK.
I meant to say for the future kit. I wasn’t clear and I re read it again and I’m like 🤦🏻‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back