Outcast 1/5 or 1/8 scale cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamG

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
As the title suggests, I just want to get a feel for peoples opinions about whether they prefer 1/5 or 1/8 scale cars.

not so long ago I did a thread about whether i should buy the outcast 1/5 exb. Most people said go for it.

but my Kraton 1/8 exb is so much fun I’m thinking of buying the RTR 1/8 Outcast exb instead.

kinda think my sweet spot is 1/8 but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I just want to get a feel for peoples opinions about whether they prefer 1/5 or 1/8 scale cars.

not so long ago I did a thread about whether orto buy the outcast 1/5 exb. Most people said go for it.

but my Kraton 1/8 exb is so much fun I’m thinking of buying the RTR 1/8 Outcast exb instead.

kinda think my sweet spot is 1/8 but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions
I would go with the out cast exb, I love my notorious it is very fun and more durable than a 1/5th scale truck.

Depends on terrain. If extremely rough and rocky the big Bois are king. But if terrain is suitable which sounds like it is, get the 1/8 as it will share majority of parts, cheaper to maintain, and be more explosive in acceleration and rotate in the air like nothing.

1/5 scale gas..

IMG_1038.JPG

I used to think the 6s outcast was the best but now I'm not sure if my 8s is slightly better. The 6s has no fear but the 8s makes you hold your breath because you just don't know how it's going to end if it land's badly. The 6s is more durable imo but the 8s is a better thrill

I'd say it really depends on your bashing style. I send my rigs to the moon and hard so in my case I don't think 1/5 would hold up like my 1/8 and 1/10 rigs do. But if your more casual and not huge sends a 1/5 could be a good choice. Also as others said it's a lot cheaper to fix the smaller rigs, parts interchangeability and typically more durable than the big 25+lb beasts.

1/8 is just right for me and like everyone else is saying cheaper to fix

It all depends on where you can bash. Some here have only a small back yard. 1/10 or smaller makes sense. Some have hundreds of acres of open land. 1/5 might make more sense. Nothing is absolute.

Thanks for opinions so far. My workstations, lipo batteries, tools, etc are all setup to work with 1/8 scale.

that’s the thing putting me off buying 1/5. It’s not just finding the space to store it, but then I’ve gotta buy new batteries, etc this is on top of the higher servicing costs. Hobby is expensive enough. Might stick to 1/8

1/8 is just right for me and like everyone else is saying cheaper to fix
I’m not sure this is true.
I’ve owned a Baja flux 8s and that thing was nearly indestructible, so it needed less fixes.
Also my X-Maxx is cheaper to fix than my Kraton 6s (parts are cheaper).
Initial investment though is a different story…
I do like both scales. 1/8 6s is a perfect combination and more nimble and agile than 1/5 scale.
But 1/5 scale plows through terrain unlike any other.

Last edited:
I'd probably get the 1/5th Outcast if you already have a 1/8th Kraton. I love my K6S, but I've always felt like the Outcast and Noto would be too close to the K6S to warrant buying a whole new car unless I had the money to burn. You can always get the parts to convert the K6S to an Outcast (I think it's just SWB chassis, braces, dog bones) for pretty cheap from JRC and try the 1/8th Outcast for a bit to determine if it's worth a new car.

The 1/5th is just a whole new game and the size if just amazingly fun to me.

don't get the 1/5 exb’s. As you will loose interest in your 1/8 scales. I was one of those guys and my buddy. Who said we will never own a 1/5 trucks. Its was not about the cost, but durability. 3 months into the hobby I end up getting the 1/5 Kraton exb also got the Outcast a month later. Now my 6s kraton and notorious is getting neglected. Also spend more money on the 6S than my 8S trucks with all the m2c upgrades. Yes you need some room to run the 1/5.

I guess I'm failing to see your point. It's like reverse psychology to go 1/5th? And really don't need m2c anything if going exb for 6s. All I got really is rpm wing mount and rear skid plate. V5/exbs are pretty solid for non YouTubers who send it moderately. Plus if you fall outside of that window of moderate sending the 1/5 will need m2c this and that as well, not just 1/8.

Since Outcast is a stunt truck, I perfer the 1/8 scale. 1/5 scale is big for me to do backflips. IMO. Get 1/8 and then move up

Back