1/5th scale EXB 12s Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 12s mgm esc and motor. There is ztw but they catch fire often on 12s. 12s is going to be overkill. 10s is more usable power. Every video I have seen on 12s they can't even keep it in a straight line or even keep tires on it.

i just want to be able to use my 6s batteries i have a kraton 6s right now and several 6s FPV Drones so just want to stick with 6s

Your batteries honestly wouldn't have enough c rating to push that hard. You would have to get different batteries in that spectrum. Unless you have some great batteries as it is right now. And you really want to keep batteries as a matching pair. So say you get 2 6s batteries to use for 12s... only ever use them as 12s not 6s alone. Isn't healthy in the long run for the battery.

If those are the beast/xclass packs with the AS150 connectors then you're pretty much good to go! If you have XT60s on them you definitely want to look into changing them over to XT90, IC5, QS8 or AS150 connectors before running them in 12s.
On the ESC, I agree with @Lovestricken, skip the ZTW and invest in a MTM if you're dead set on 12s.
On the other hand, you could just run a Max5/XLX2 on 6s... less power and speed but if you put in one pack at a time it will also weight less!
Unless you put a throttle limit on the 12s setup you'll just have way more power than you can reasonably use and end up putting a ton of wear on the drivetrain, which cost you in replaced gears/diffs/cvds.

The be blunt there is not a good 12s ESC for RC cars right now other than MGM, which you wont find any advice/support on this forum for due to its price tag around $900
For that price of the ESC alone you could get a nice XLX2 setup with motor and batteries to run 8s....

There is no reason you could not make the truck do everything you want on 6s with an XLX2 if you really want to stick with 6s packs. It would be just a matter of matching the motor KV to what you want to do. I would assume something like 1650kv would work well for that. A big 1/5 scale TP Power 5870 motor would be one possible option.

As an illustration of lower voltage being ok. There are guys doing 120 to 132mph with the Limitless on 4 cell. Plenty of speed and power available from 6s if you set it up correctly....

Last edited:
If those are the beast/xclass packs with the AS150 connectors then you're pretty much good to go! If you have XT60s on them you definitely want to look into changing them over to XT90, IC5, QS8 or AS150 connectors before running them in 12s.
On the ESC, I agree with @Lovestricken, skip the ZTW and invest in a MTM if you're dead set on 12s.
On the other hand, you could just run a Max5/XLX2 on 6s... less power and speed but if you put in one pack at a time it will also weight less!
Unless you put a throttle limit on the 12s setup you'll just have way more power than you can reasonably use and end up putting a ton of wear on the drivetrain, which cost you in replaced gears/diffs/cvds.
yea i already have xt90s on them setup for my kraton 6s and 7in drone , i bought a flier 400a 4-16s esc and went with a casstle 800kv 2028 sensored motor and savox sw0241mg for the servo. it just doesn't make sense to me to have the same power setup as my kraton 6s if im going bigger we need MORE POWER BABY! lol just makes it easy for me that everything i have takes 6s batteries

Last edited:
yea i already have xt90s on them setup for my kraton 6s and 7in drone , i bought a flier 400a 4-16s esc and went with a casstle 800kv 2028 sensored motor and savox sw0241mg for the servo i just doesn't make sense to me to have the same power setup as my kraton 6s if im going bigger we need MORE POWER BABY! lol just makes it easy for me that everything i have takes 6s batteries
I kinda feel ya on that. I am running a monster system on my kraton 6s.. hobbywing 5687 and a castle 2028 on my k8 exb. Same power rating just a longer can... but the castle does handle 10s which is probably the sweet spot for the k8.
I have that monster spectrum servo in my k8

yea i already have xt90s on them setup for my kraton 6s and 7in drone , i bought a flier 400a 4-16s esc and went with a casstle 800kv 2028 sensored motor and savox sw0241mg for the servo. it just doesn't make sense to me to have the same power setup as my kraton 6s if im going bigger we need MORE POWER BABY! lol just makes it easy for me that everything i have takes 6s batteries
I understand where you are going with it and if you plan to keep running xt90s then high voltage low amps is the way to go.

The 6s system I am thinking of would be high amperage and would melt those connectors. Probably would go through battery packs pretty fast also...

Kraton 6s 120a * 22v = 2640 watts
XLX2 powered 6s system 400a * 22v = 8,800 watts
Monster 12s system 200a * 50v = 10,000 watts

Oh wow... those Flier ESCs look sketchy AF! Here's hoping they work better than they look! :ROFLMAO:

Oh wow... those Flier ESCs look sketchy AF! Here's hoping they work better than they look! :ROFLMAO:
Based on what I have seen they handle low KV motors ok and some general use. (not good for speed runs)
Any high amperage heavy loads and they tend to go up in flames quickly. Their reputation isn't very good for car use....

For 12s mgm esc and motor. There is ztw but they catch fire often on 12s. 12s is going to be overkill. 10s is more usable power. Every video I have seen on 12s they can't even keep it in a straight line or even keep tires on it.

Didn't you pick up the Hobbystar?

I don't know what the rest of the posters are talking about. Do you even own? My 12s runs perfect..

No I wouldn't ever own a hobbystar. Yes I have the exb version the day it released. I have the castle 2028.
Like i stated in my comment. From videos I have seen. On 12s tires rip apart. Granted that's on the standard copperheads and not the big blocks. Plus it just wants to pull the front end. I didn't say it wasn't doable or suggested. Just that 10s would be a much more usable power range. I seen them on 16s ... being they already have drive axle issues breaking. Imo 10s would be better suited for the avg person looking to have more kick. People like you are the rare that want to time travel lol. Glad it works good for you. As far as the ztw. Lots of them go poof on YouTube in many different vehicles.

Well that's weird... Isn't that your thread?

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/ztw-pro-300-review.36044/#post-492648

Anywho..Not talking about you but I love when people comment on imaginary, invisible rigs they don't own.

🤪

20210415_192727.jpg

20210415_192657.jpg

Last edited:
Yup my post👍
Wasn't giving a review. Was asking for reviews but you already knew that.
Btw here is the imaginary unicorn I don't own😂
Not sure what I did to anger you so greatly but sorry you are having such a hard time getting myself out of your head.

View attachment 140001

View attachment 140002

That wasn't directed at you. See... Anywho..Not talking about you but I love when people comment on imaginary, invisible rigs they don't own.

BTW.. You did say "SOLD" in your thread so I thought you bought one..

Just tossing out an idea, couldn’t you run an XLX2/2028-1100kv setup and run parallel 6S packs?

Just tossing out an idea, couldn’t you run an XLX2/2028-1100kv setup and run parallel 6S packs?

You would double your run time and weight in batteries but it would still only have 6s power. 1100kv on 6s = about the same RPM as 800kv on 8s for gearing purposes BUT the power difference or lack of wouldn't even see 70% of its total RPM due to drag. It would work but it would be a slow truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back