1/6 scale diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I'm rebuilding my Super Rock Rey and I figured I'd post some pics of the differentials for comparison purposes. This is the rear diff. It's worth noting that the 1/10 scale Rock Rey has a locked rear diff (no internal gears). The Super Rock Rey is open. I'm not sure what the stock fluid is because the manual doesn't tell you. It was pretty thick, around 500k would be my guess. I'm refilling with 1 mil. I am using a f/r diff from a Kraton for comparison.

20190913_113144.jpg
20190913_113414.jpg
20190913_113506.jpg
20190913_113600.jpg
20190913_113725.jpg
20190913_113801.jpg
20190913_113919.jpg

Neat! What's the plate behind the larger sun gears? Just a "shim" or is it concaved to provide mesh tension for the sun/spider gears?

I was surprised at the size of the ones on the 2.0 revo as well. The 20M diff "fluid" in the center is ridiculous. More like putty that you have to mash into the gears with your fingers. If I have them out again, I'll take some side by side photo's compared to the 1/8th and my nitro revo diffs.

Neat! What's the plate behind the larger sun gears? Just a "shim" or is it concaved to provide mesh tension for the sun/spider gears?

I was surprised at the size of the ones on the 2.0 revo as well. The 20M diff "fluid" in the center is ridiculous. More like putty that you have to mash into the gears with your fingers. If I have them out again, I'll take some side by side photo's compared to the 1/8th and my nitro revo diffs.
They are some sort of shim. Here is the diagram.

20190913_132833.jpg

@bicketybam Are you on your original diff? I’ve been eyeing the SBR but was seeing a lot about the rear diff shredding teeth and kinda was off put on such an expensive truck.

@bicketybam Are you on your original diff? I’ve been eyeing the SBR but was seeing a lot about the rear diff shredding teeth and kinda was off put on such an expensive truck.
Stock diffs. I honestly can't see these breaking, especially after what I've already put them through. Do you know if the SBR and the SRR use the same rear diff?

Stock diffs. I honestly can't see these breaking, especially after what I've already put them through. Do you know if the SBR and the SRR use the same rear diff?
Tbh I just assumed they did but I haven’t looked into deeply yet. Waiting until Christmas is over (3 kids are expensive lol) until I start to seriously look into my next purchase. I know there’s a few videos on it. I’ll look into it though and share what I find.
I was mistaken, it’s actually the center diff that has some issues. Been problems with the teeth literally shredding off one of the gears in both the sbr and srr. Something to do with the metal quality or lack off. Not sure if there’s a better replacement yet. Some videos on YouTube about it.

Last edited:
Tbh I just assumed they did but I haven’t looked into deeply yet. Waiting until Christmas is over (3 kids are expensive lol) until I start to seriously look into my next purchase. I know there’s a few videos on it. I’ll look into it though and share what I find.
I was mistaken, it’s actually the center diff that has some issues. Been problems with the teeth literally shredding off one of the gears in both the sbr and srr. Something to do with the metal quality or lack off. Not sure if there’s a better replacement yet. Some videos on YouTube about it.
If these teeth are shredding, then there must be something majorly wrong ?

20190913_181152.jpg

If these teeth are shredding, then there must be something majorly wrong ?

View attachment 48264
granted who knows what wasn’t recorded but if that was his maiden or second run and nothing else happens he either got a seriously Faulty part or there is an actual issue with the metals used For the gears

granted who knows what wasn’t recorded but if that was his maiden or second run and nothing else happens he either got a seriously Faulty part or there is an actual issue with the metals used For the gears
Gotta be a lemon. Every mfg has one now and then.

This honestly doesn't surprise me that they are that much bigger than the Arrma 1/8th diffs. The Arrma 1/8 diffs are tiny even compared to other 1/8 diffs. Other 1/8 diffs have bigger everything in general.

So which is it?
I broke both the original 8s diff gear as well as the upgraded spiral gears and never did serious bashing. (even tried some aftermarket ones that claimed to be better metal)
The hit of 8s power seemed to be too much for it.

I did hit 74mph, which was impressive for that hefty brick!

-Liberty

The E Revo 2.0 diffs are good!

And that’s based on most think it’s a 1/8 and in all honesty it is but Traxxas class it as a 1/10.

1/10 Revo 2.0 on left 1/8 Typhon on right!
DE27FC84-A0CA-4476-93CA-CBE5B411B078.jpeg
3BB38E91-015F-4740-96F3-FD4CED40C321.jpeg
108B2340-D979-4A42-8305-F329BAF2F506.jpeg

^ the Revo is sitting on an inverted diff cup it’s doesn’t hold double the volume.

Last edited:
Typhon is 3 1/2lbs lighter and 120$ cheaper than the erevo...

Wasn’t a price comparison more a laugh at how Traxxas class it as a 1/10.

OP was comparing it to a SRR and as far as I’m aware wasn’t one Vs the other more a comparison and as for the SRR here in the U.K is a $472 premium over the Typhon

Not getting into a Traxxas Vs Arrma debate I have both and ignoring Traxxas business practices which I don’t agree with the Revo is a great RC IMO and even for the price point does have a few positives over the Typhon.
But in all honestly I do prefer my Typhon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back