1/7 Proline Toyo Proxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dan B. !!!
I stand corrected!
I just got off the phone with Toyo Tires Co. I am completely wrong.:rolleyes: I hate giving misiniformation.
They are IN Fact Asymetrical. And they actually do work well despite them being Asymetrical and the tread would look incorrect. But is Correct.
There is NO Right and Left tire at all. Just one model tire and part number.

And For RC use the same applies. That is why PL only gives the same identical tires as pairs.
Sorry for the mix up. I should have known better as my close friend has a Hellcat with these tires. :rolleyes:
The sidewalls are marked Inner and Outer for wheel mounting purposes. And not Directional.
Toyo on the phone told me that my question is asked so much.

This peaked my interest even more to try a set of these PL Proxes. I thank you.:cool:

https://www.toyotires.com/media/g4scjtej/tsd-12-023_rr_dot_mounting_orientation_recommendation.pdf

Last edited:
@Dan B. !!!
I stand corrected!
I just got off the phone with Toyo Tires Co. I am completely wrong.:rolleyes: I hate giving misiniformation.
They are IN Fact Asymetrical. And they actually do work well despite them being Asymetrical and the tread would look incorrect. But is Correct. There is NO Right and Left tire at all.

And For RC use the same applies. That is why PL only gives the same identical tires as pairs.
Sorry for the mix up. I should have known better as my close friend has a Hellcat with these tires. :rolleyes:
The sidewalls are marked Inner and Outer for wheel mounting purposes. And not Directional.
Toyo on the phone told me that my question is asked so much.

This peaked my interest even more to try a set of these PL Proxes. I thank you.:cool:
You sir are amazing. I can’t believe you called Toyo, lol! But what are you going to do when you mount them and see that they’re going backwards on one side of the car? 😂. My OCD would require treatment at that point!

I said the same to myself. But Toyo assured me they hook up well as they are designed.. A very popular DOT Track tire. Been around since 2012. And still in the top best tires as Streetable Track tires go.

I said the same to myself. But Toyo assured me they hook up well as they are designed.. A very popular DOT Track tire. Been around since 2012. And still in the top best tires as Streetable Track tires go.
Yes, I never ran them. I know a lot of guys that used them for track days and club races. I ran Hoosier R3SO3‘s which were technically a DOT legal race tire but they were just slicks with 2 grooves in them near the inside. And god help you if you got caught out in the rain on the way home!
Maybe I’ll try those Proxes!

A great option for track tires
I almost ordered some to try with speedrunning but they’re rated for 100mph only, unfortunately.

View attachment 199735
They have the exact same disclaimer on their Avenger series so this is just their generic disclaimer. FWIW, GRPs are only rated for 62 or 63mph and people regularly run them at 120-130mph. I'm not saying that these will do the same but it would appear that tire manufacturers are prone to giving conservative speed estimates; presumably to avoid liability in accident/damage cases as they're surely well aware how fast people are driving their RC cars these days.

Last edited:
I just bought a set of the PL Toyo Proxy’s for my Infraction w Castle MMX8S & Castle 1717-1650. I have been running Sweep RC foams on it on concrete and they have zero durability when not driving perfectly straight on a smooth surface. You can get awesome grip and speed out of the sweep RC foams but the rims are so fragile they might as well be made out of glass because I have broken too many of them to keep forking out $42 for 2 and get 1-3 packs out of them. So, I’m hoping to get more life out of these and a little more grip than the hoons. The hoons are great for burnouts and smoke clouds but on 8S they are easily destroyed. With stock speed pinion and spur gear it hits 93-95 mph which is plenty fast for bashing. How is everyone else’s experience with these tires.

I just bought a set of the PL Toyo Proxy’s for my Infraction w Castle MMX8S & Castle 1717-1650. I have been running Sweep RC foams on it on concrete and they have zero durability when not driving perfectly straight on a smooth surface. You can get awesome grip and speed out of the sweep RC foams but the rims are so fragile they might as well be made out of glass because I have broken too many of them to keep forking out $42 for 2 and get 1-3 packs out of them. So, I’m hoping to get more life out of these and a little more grip than the hoons. The hoons are great for burnouts and smoke clouds but on 8S they are easily destroyed. With stock speed pinion and spur gear it hits 93-95 mph which is plenty fast for bashing. How is everyone else’s experience with these tires.
Weird enough, I didn't like them that much on my felony and prefer the hoons. It was harder for me to drift and slide around with the increased grip. I had them sitting in the tire bin until recently.

I just built a stretched typhon with felony diffs so after trying the hoons on it I decided to try the toyo. I actually like them A LOT on my typhon with a felony. The rear spun around a bit too easily with the hoons but with the toyo on the typhon it feels perfect to me. I took it to the parking lot a few nights ago and I actually fell in love with the rig and the tires lol.

crazy how on one rig something can suck but you try it on something else and it's like the best thing ever.

After the first run in my Infraction on 8S castle MMX8S & castle 1717-1650 and I really liked them. Once I warmed them up they were really nice and sticky - good for high speed runs to 100 mph for sure - ran them 95 mph tonight and they were stable and got nice and sticky. On 8S it is hard to drift w the Hoons because it tends to tear the tires if they hook and overpower the Hoons grip too easily - don’t have very good traction at all
The Proxy’s in comparison had mor traction - just enough to make Them hook and then drift. I was impressed w them overall because they had much more traction than the hoons, held a line better under throttle & wore much less after running them hard on concrete in 85 degrees & humid @ 12:45 am.
I also intend on trying them on 6S and see how they do on 6S.

I think they are definitely longer lasting than hoons. No comparison imo, the only con they have compared to hoons is they don't allow you to drift as easily as they have much more grip. If you don't care about that then they are awesome tires.

I would think if the demand is not there, then an upgrade company wont do that size wheel. Many RC Fel guys just go the Infraction Diff route.
PowerHobby was smart in keeping the rollout the same (100mm) but keeping the tire wider. What Arrma should have done in the first place.
PL is owned by HH now, so I am sure this is what made them make the Proxes as upgrades.
If I had to make a guestimate, the Felony sells less than the Infr and Lim??:unsure: IDK for sure.
I think they are definitely longer lasting than hoons. No comparison imo, the only con they have compared to hoons is they don't allow you to drift as easily as they have much more grip. If you don't care about that then they are awesome tires.
More grip is what you want. For speed running.
For drifting and hooning around, don't expect ANY longevity no matter the tire. Just buy whatever is cheap. You will be replacing them so often anyway.

I ran them now through 2 packs of hard runs on 8S. We run our cars on a concrete stretch next to my house that is a little over an 1/8 mile she does contain a feW rough patches that tends to destroy tires quickly on 8S. It is mostly speed runs flat out flying 0-95 mph. I did put the truck against the curb to warm them up and did a couple donuts to get them sticky. I think the grip is much much better than the hoons and they also seem more durable. I had no issues w them after running them 0-95 mph repeatedly until I finally hit something in the road and tore the tread left rear one. But I still feel that they are pretty awesome tires. The grip is excellent and I fell much more in control. Also when compared to foam tires (Sweep RC in particular) they are much more durable and almost as sticky when they are warmed up. They definitely made me feel like I had a lot more control of the car and it was much less likely to spin out at any speed. I attached the picture of the torn one below. I think it is worth noting on 8S I have previously torn brand new hoons with one rip of the throttle at a dead stop so the fact that I tore one of these shouldn’t be very alarming.
I think this one tore when I hit the curb but I didn’t notice it right away until I brought it inside.
454ECFB4-CEFF-40C3-A131-9178CB40D6DF.jpeg

I actually just got my first Hunny Bun with these tires the other day. 113 mph with my stretched typhon + felony diffs on 8s. Really like these tires on this rig. I wish they would go on sale like hoons, I'd buy a ton of them.

Screenshot_20220813-212532_GNSS PA.jpg

So apparently they discontinued these tires and are coming out with a new version with the only difference being a new rim and no longer using the hoon rims.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...2.9-belted-mtd-17mm-spectre-2/PRO1020011.html
That's cool. The Hoons rim is a bit tired at this point.

I'd really like to see the market develop in the direction of 1/10 scale where you can purchase rims and tires separately. I wouldn't be averse to a wider selection of rims, the variety available to 1/10 scale cars boggles the mind. I mean...why the #@%! do I have to purchase both every time? For the most part, the rims are still fine and perfectly useable/serviceable when the tires are through. I'd love it if they would give me the option of just purchasing tires to re-skin them. Traxxas does this for the XO and sells the tires separately (the price is totally retarded and unacceptable but that's a different story). I, for one, would welcome GRP or PMT selling replacement skins for $10-12/pair. I'd rather do the work than pay the money.

Am I the only one or is there a clientele for the product?

That's cool. The Hoons rim is a bit tired at this point.

I'd really like to see the market develop in the direction of 1/10 scale where you can purchase rims and tires separately. I wouldn't be averse to a wider selection of rims, the variety available to 1/10 scale cars boggles the mind. I mean...why the #@%! do I have to purchase both every time? For the most part, the rims are still fine and perfectly useable/serviceable when the tires are through. I'd love it if they would give me the option of just purchasing tires to re-skin them. Traxxas does this for the XO and sells the tires separately (the price is totally retarded and unacceptable but that's a different story). I, for one, would welcome GRP or PMT selling replacement skins for $10-12/pair. I'd rather do the work than pay the money.

Am I the only one or is there a clientele for the product?
I’d probably just continue to buy premounts and additionally glue the beads when I get them. And yeah, it’s weird that the market hasn’t caught up with 100mm yet. You can get anything whatsoever in 1/10 Touring, from uber accurate BBS’s and Fuchs to steelies with baby moons. And any skin and foam combos you can dream of.
Those new Toyo ProLines look awesome, but the price is outrageous for a limited speed tire. Why hasn’t tire tech caught up yet either? There must be the ability to engineer a very low profile solid rubber tire to replace foams.

I’d probably just continue to buy premounts and additionally glue the beads when I get them. And yeah, it’s weird that the market hasn’t caught up with 100mm yet. You can get anything whatsoever in 1/10 Touring, from uber accurate BBS’s and Fuchs to steelies with baby moons. And any skin and foam combos you can dream of.
Those new Toyo ProLines look awesome, but the price is outrageous for a limited speed tire. Why hasn’t tire tech caught up yet either? There must be the ability to engineer a very low profile solid rubber tire to replace foams.
Yeah, the price of ProLine is totally offputting. I have two sets of ProLine Avengers that I don't use that I need to post on Ebay classifieds. The 106mm is a bit large and they're useless for speed running.

As for tire tech...if you think about it, it wasn't until relatively recently that tire integrity became a bottleneck as it pertains to speed. I'm 100% certain that there are people working on better speed running tires as we speak. When it comes to tire material, I think foam has a distinct advantage because of its weight and the resulting pull that centrifugal force is exerting on it at those speeds. Perhaps there's a happy medium to be reached somewhere by increasing the amount of rubber that's incorporated into the foam by x amount that will result in improved grip and structural stability without upping the weight too much. But my knowledge on the manufacture of foam rubber and what options and possibilities exist to improve what we have is about nil. But, if I had to guess, we'll start to see new developments in that area in the next 6-12 months.

Proline loves their soft useless rubber who does no good for bashing. Their solution, belted tires that are also not good for bashing. Heavier and lack of ballooning makes the car react very poorly in the air. Their last goodfor bashing was the old badlands 3.8 tire who were backflip lps with a bit more offset. They ballooned just enough. They could handle 6s. I remember rich duperbash when i used to watch him he ran those on his typhons and also on his 4s trucks

Proline loves their soft useless rubber who does no good for bashing. Their solution, belted tires that are also not good for bashing. Heavier and lack of ballooning makes the car react very poorly in the air. Their last goodfor bashing was the old badlands 3.8 tire who were backflip lps with a bit more offset. They ballooned just enough. They could handle 6s. I remember rich duperbash when i used to watch him he ran those on his typhons and also on his 4s trucks
I love my proline mashers, mx43, and trenchers for my big rigs. Pretty much the only brand I will buy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back