1/8 Buggy Spektrum Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartacus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Getting back into 8th scale after many years. I have always run CC Mamba's in my buggies for the simplicity of it. I like to casually race and I may go more hardcore into it in the future. However, I really like the spektrum smart g2 stuff. Does anyone know if they make a Sensored Motor/ESC for an 8th scale buggy? I've only ever seen them have sensored stuff for crawlers, which I understand why, however, there are a lot of benefits to sensored with racing buggies on a track specifically. I know people hate on Spektrum for some reason, but I actually like their stuff a lot even after using many other brands. Just don't buy their cheap stuff.

Sure - their XERun XR8 series is their top of the line stuff for 1/8 scale: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/xerun-xr8-esc

The new MAX8 G2 from their EZRun series is also sensored now:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/ezrun-max8-g2-series
Spektrum owns hobbywing? Not being sarcastic, I'm just a bit confused.
Edit: sorry for some reason I saw HobbyWing - but you might as well go straight to HobbyWing since they are the OEM for Spektrum…

Sure - their XERun XR8 series is their top of the line stuff for 1/8 scale: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/xerun-xr8-esc

The new MAX8 G2 from their EZRun series is also sensored now:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/ezrun-max8-g2-series
Thanks for the edit. I understand now. So they make the parts for Spektrum basically. I just liked the idea of being able to see all the data from the run on my transmitter. I guess Hobbywing can do that now with bluetooth though? I just saw that on their website. I like the idea of spektrum's smart batteries though and their connector is top notch for amp throughput. The IC5 ones.

This is a bit off topic but, I've always used Spektrum for my Transmitters; do you recommend any other high-end ones, or is the DSMR the best way to go for ease of use?

Last edited:
Hobbywing XR8 or Tekin RX8 for racing.

Spektrum smart batteries probably wouldn’t be competitive.

I believe Sanwa and Futaba still dominate the transmitter market for racing.

Thanks for the edit. I understand now. So they make the parts for Spektrum basically. I just liked the idea of being able to see all the data from the run on my transmitter. I guess Hobbywing can do that now with bluetooth though? I just saw that on their website. I like the idea of spektrum's smart batteries though and their connector is top notch for amp throughput. The IC5 ones.

This is a bit off topic but, I've always used Spektrum for my Transmitters; do you recommend any other high-end ones, or is the DSMR the best way to go for ease of use?

Just my opinion and experience, but while telemetry seems nice, I have rarely used it when it's available. Just don't have the time to look at things while I'm driving (but maybe I'm just old and can't multitask :p) plus sending and receiving telemetry takes time/bandwidth and I'd rather have that devoted to RC functional control - as an aside, if you select a 5.5ms frame rate on Spektrum electronics you won't get telemetry.

The HobbyWing stuff comes without connectors (or some come with XT90) so most of the time you are putting your own battery connectors on and feel free to go with IC5 or EC5.

I use DX5Pro transmitters or Futaba transmitters. Most of my bashing is with Spektrum stuff and I have no complaints. Works well enough for the range I run in. Others may have differing opinions based on their running circumstances but for me, Spektrum works well enough. I get cheap SR315 receivers from Jenny's or they come with the Arrma 6s line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back