Typhon 1/8 On Road GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to do a 4th coat because the translucent was cheaper and I bought two cans so fuckk it.
20211217_203232.jpg

I dunno why this feels like the make or break mission on this project . This body is prolly gonna get mangled but I want it to look dope. So many other important missions: sway bar, centre post blah blah.

Mad problems! Did backflips multiple times. Got up to full throttle a few times smoothing it in but goosing it while going made the back end drop and the body catch mad air and blow us over.

Stiffened the rear shocks even more and need to find a solution for filling in between the chassis and the body big time.

So much lift and downforce in the rear and so much turbulent air underneath makes this thing a hang glider.

Keeping the rear up is a must but I need to fill in under the body.

We have lexan (polycarbonate) face shields at work for cutting and grinding. They're 3mm thick and roughly 250x500mm. Gonna appropriate a few and cut a real floor. Those mud guards ain't cutting it. I want like zero gap between chassis and body ideally but at a minimum it has to be better than this.

I want to do foam but gonna try this first.

20211104_140449.jpg

See? The face shield part even comes with that blue protective film. That poop is bulletproof and flexible. Perfect. Cut to fit, drill some holes and screw that poop to the chassis? Perfect.
Here's the problem.

Big aerodynamic problems Closing in under the body is critical.

Stiffening the rear shocks to keep the nose down is key but damn.

Gotta get some major ground effects going
Closing in under the body is critical.

Mad problems! Did backflips multiple times. Got up to full throttle a few times smoothing it in but goosing it while going made the back end drop and the body catch mad air and blow us over.

Stiffened the rear shocks even more and need to find a solution for filling in between the chassis and the body big time.

So much lift and downforce in the rear and so much turbulent air underneath makes this thing a hang glider.

Keeping the rear up is a must but I need to fill in under the body.

We have lexan (polycarbonate) face shields at work for cutting and grinding. They're 3mm thick and roughly 250x500mm. Gonna appropriate a few and cut a real floor. Those mud guards ain't cutting it. I want like zero gap between chassis and body ideally but at a minimum it has to be better than this.

I want to do foam but gonna try this first.

View attachment 187564

See? The face shield part even comes with that blue protective film. That poop is bulletproof and flexible. Perfect. Cut to fit, drill some holes and screw that poop to the chassis? Perfect.
Here's the problem.

Big aerodynamic problems Closing in under the body is critical.

Closing in under the body is critical.

Something additional that may help with the parachuting, cut some vents in the rear of the body to let air pass through it rather than just all gathering under it. Arrma did it on the 6s Senton bodies since SC trucks parachute so badly and it really helps.

20211220_155855.jpg

You need to cut your rear wing down. That thing is huge. You can also remove your rear shocks in favor of tie rods, or lock out your rear shocks.

You need to cut your rear wing down. That thing is huge. You can also remove your rear shocks in favor of tie rods, or lock out your rear shocks.
Damm though. That huge rear wing makes it look cartoonish. I love it. I might get there but I'll see what getting rid of the huge gaps between the body and the chassis does first.

I may just do all these things though in the end.

20211221_193243.jpg

So this is what I am working on now. Waiting to fit the body on to trim the outside edge and then I'll trace it to make the other side. Going super tight to the arms and wheels then I will glue some foam where it meets the body.

Looking good. With all of that foam and body overhanging in the front, I'm thinking it would benefit hugely from a splitter.

Looking good. With all of that foam and body overhanging in the front, I'm thinking it would benefit hugely from a splitter.
Okay. Explain splitter. Like there is a hole directing air downwards in the front of the car? I have more of this poly and wanted to make a wedge to fill in the front that actually went under the front end and stuck out.
Resized_20211221_212435.jpg

That's what I was talking about...that's called a splitter. It "splits" the air and creates a good amount of downforce at the nose of the car.

👍👍👍 awesome! I hope it doesn't just turn the car into a kazoo. Gonna have to run it and see what happens 🤣 then go from there.

Last edited:
16403627967047673483706425523543.jpg

Bought the hardware for a centre chassis brace.

The bar is for an outcast and it is a bit too short but the set screws are long enough that if I leave them slack 12-15mm on either end at most I will get the length I need.

Still can't find the sway bars them selves. Have all the mounting hardware for those but I will have to wait I guess.

Went ripping in -12°c, -20 wind chill. Just on 3S but my GRP didn't like the cold so much. Power slides, drifting and donuts ripped chunks out of my rear tires. Dumped it into a few snowbanks which was preferable to curbing it so that was fun. Body held up and everything didn't break the floor like last time. I built an awesome vendetta I think. It just isn't an infraction or limitless really.

Went to 10k oil in the rear shocks and it seems to help. Gonna have to try it in warmer weather with 4S or 6S to know if that will help stop rear end squat u der throttle and blow overs at ludicrous speed.

20220128_174646.jpg

I don't want zero suspension in the rear. I considered putting links in but I want to do more than run in a straight line on a perfect road.
Also I installed some titanium washers on the lower front bumper. I was disappointed we didn't get any sparks but we were taking it pretty easy considering the weather.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back