1/8 race truggy minimum motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I picked up a used 1/8 truggy for cheap. I have a spare surpass motor (3670, 2850kv) and am wondering if that’s enough motor for it.

General bashing, no racing. Pretty casual. I’ll run on 4S.

Should I give it a shot or is that motor a waste of time?

The main issue I see is the KV on that motor is really high...

The old HobbyKing Sabertooth came with a 1800kv 3674 motor, and that truck moved pretty good on 4s.

4068 would be minimal. I have run my talion briefly on a 2650kv surpass hobby motor for a few packs buts I knew it wasn't going to be permanent as it got warm fairly quick. It had no shortage of power though
My V1 Kraton and Talion came with a 4068 motor - the Original BLX180 red can motor. BUT it was 2050kv. The big issue with the OP's motor is the KV, not the can size. As you said, the KV will cook the motor.

Agreed with the above.
You can find some low cost 4274 motors on eBay. The Arrma BLX2050 kv motor is usually under 60.00
Something like this? Looks like a hobbywing 4274 knockoff.

Would that thing outshine the stock 4074 6S motor for $44 at Jenny’s?

Given that you want to run on 4s higher KV will be helpful.
Is there actually a difference in operating size between 4074 and 4274 motors?

It seems like all the 4274 motors have outer fins - are they just 4074 motors otherwise?

Is there actually a difference in operating size between 4074 and 4274 motors?

It seems like all the 4274 motors have outer fins - are they just 4074 motors otherwise?
You got it.... just 2mm added for cooling fins

The one you linked has 4mm plugs while the one linked by OP has 6.5mm plugs
Oh good catch I didn't even notice that. I'd still buy the cheaper one I have a drawer full of 6.5mm plugs.
He never said what esc he was using either so depending on what esc he uses the 4mm plugs might work out better for him.

Truggies seem happier with 40-42 sized motors (4274) around 2000-2200 kV.
+1
Given that you want to run on 4s higher KV will be helpful.
+1
at 4s with proper gearing a 2200kv.(y) But even a 1950 can do the trick. If on the track, depending how large the track is, 2200kv can even be a bear.
Fan(s) are always a given. Truggies are heavy, the higher the KV, the less torque with a 4274 can motor.
Track Truggies are usually between 1900 and 2200 kv. Depending on the Track in question. Traction type and if it has long sweepers and straights etc.
Long legs (2200kv) on smallish tracks can be a bear, with more technical confined driving, you are better suited with 1900kv. How I see it.
Ultimately it is the gearing that determines best.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back