Typhon 1/8 TLR Tuned TYPHON 6S 4WD BLX Buggy RTR, Red/Blue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidmarx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm a newbie at 68-years young. Just retired and ordered a Typhon and just realized it doesn't have AVC. I know there a lot who dismiss AVC but thinking I may want to put it in anyway. Want to also update my transmitter to the Spektrum DX5C. So here's my questions...
1. Which of these Spektrum receivers would work best?...
a. SPMSR6100AT - https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...c-telemetry-surface-receiver/SPMSR6100AT.html
b. SPMSR6200A - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/sr6200a-dsmr-6-channel-avc-surface-receiver/SPMSR6200A.html
c. SPMSR6110AT - https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...c-telemetry-surface-receiver/SPMSR6110AT.html
I'm leaning towards option (a) first and then option (b). I have option (B) in a Vendetta. Option (a) has a shorter antenna and not sure if that matters? Does anyone out there know if they would all work and if they all fit the Typhon? Any ideas for the best match for this particular Typhon?
They all seem pretty similar with some small differences in size and features as far as this newbie can figure but know there are many out there who know better than I.

Thank you

Last edited:
OK, I'm a newbie at 68-years young. Just retired and ordered a Typhon and just realized it doesn't have AVC. I know there a lot who dismiss AVC but thinking I may want to put it in anyway. Want to also update my transmitter to the Spektrum DX5C. So here's my questions...
1. Which of these Spektrum receivers would work best?...
a. SPMSR6100AT - https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...c-telemetry-surface-receiver/SPMSR6100AT.html
b. SPMSR6200A - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/sr6200a-dsmr-6-channel-avc-surface-receiver/SPMSR6200A.html
c. SPMSR6110AT - https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...c-telemetry-surface-receiver/SPMSR6110AT.html
I'm leaning towards option (a) first and then option (b). I have option (B) in a Vendetta. Option (a) has a shorter antenna and not sure if that matters? Does anyone out there know if they would all work and if they all fit the Typhon? Any ideas for the best match for this particular Typhon?
They all seem pretty similar with some small differences in size and features as far as this newbie can figure but know there are many out there who know better than I.

Thank you
Hello and welcome. Lucky guy.... 25yrs on my job almost there in about another 10. You are amongst more seasoned people on the forum, including me.... Glad to know we seasoned guys still play with expensive toys!! All my kids are grown and OUT THE HOUSE...well, the 25yr daughter shows up a few times, LOL.

I have AVC in all my RCs, and you will find many do not like it here, but a few love it....personally, I love the experience with it. I use a DX5C as well. I actually have all those receivers in my RC's. Infraction 6100, Big Rock 6110, Kraton EXB 6100, Mad Van V2 6100, Blitzer Beetle 6200, etc., etc. but a total of nine with AVC.

I cannot tell the difference between any of them. When it comes to the DX5C you have 3 AVC settings, so the juice/magic really comes into play on how you set the AVC: Steering Gain, Throttle, and Priority.

Those 3 will take you time to determine your sweet spot for AVC and your style of bash. I keep a log of my settings and tweak them as I go, but I have found a middle ground I do like for AVC settings to start at.

I could be wrong on this, but I "thought" I read the 6110 was a bit better for bashers, or was Horizon's idea with it. Again, I have the 6100, and 6200 in bashers, as well as 6110, and I see no difference.

My Typhon TLR has a 6110 only because I had no 6100 on hand until I found more recently to stock up on. So it would have been a 6100.

The range is not an issue with any. Hell, my eyes are not what they used to be, so I could not see it that far away anyway...even with my speed Infraction truck I've never run out of range with the 6100, and I can get it down the road a ways.

Welcome...hope that helped and was not more confusing. (y)

Welcome - as with parcou, I don't think there is much difference between the receivers.

As far as antenna wire length, longer is better with the way some Arrma receiver boxes route the antenna wire. With the lengths we're talking, insertion loss differences between the wire lengths is negligible. FWIW, the active portion is the stripped end at the end of the coax.

If you haven't already, take a look at Jenny's which is a kit breaker and you can get better prices on Spektrum AVC receivers: https://jennysrc.com/products/losi-...receiver-los03027?_pos=1&_sid=f294ea93c&_ss=r

Hello and welcome. Lucky guy.... 25yrs on my job almost there in about another 10. You are amongst more seasoned people on the forum, including me.... Glad to know we seasoned guys still play with expensive toys!! All my kids are grown and OUT THE HOUSE...well, the 25yr daughter shows up a few times, LOL.

I have AVC in all my RCs, and you will find many do not like it here, but a few love it....personally, I love the experience with it. I use a DX5C as well. I actually have all those receivers in my RC's. Infraction 6100, Big Rock 6110, Kraton EXB 6100, Mad Van V2 6100, Blitzer Beetle 6200, etc., etc. but a total of nine with AVC.

I cannot tell the difference between any of them. When it comes to the DX5C you have 3 AVC settings, so the juice/magic really comes into play on how you set the AVC: Steering Gain, Throttle, and Priority.

Those 3 will take you time to determine your sweet spot for AVC and your style of bash. I keep a log of my settings and tweak them as I go, but I have found a middle ground I do like for AVC settings to start at.

I could be wrong on this, but I "thought" I read the 6110 was a bit better for bashers, or was Horizon's idea with it. Again, I have the 6100, and 6200 in bashers, as well as 6110, and I see no difference.

My Typhon TLR has a 6110 only because I had no 6100 on hand until I found more recently to stock up on. So it would have been a 6100.

The range is not an issue with any. Hell, my eyes are not what they used to be, so I could not see it that far away anyway...even with my speed Infraction truck I've never run out of range with the 6100, and I can get it down the road a ways.

Welcome...hope that helped and was not more confusing. (y)
Well Parcou, you had me laughing on not seeing as good as we once did. I have had more conversations on that in the last week than you can imagine. I notice it more with the planes than the cars but I do notice it in them also. Wish I had gotten my Vendetta in the fluorescent green rather then the dark blue now. LOL
Good info you gave on the settings for avc and finding the sweet spot. Also on not having a problem on range with any of them. Definitely appreciate that!
Glad your happy with the DX5C. Reading some reviews had me wondering. Looking forward to playing with it.
You have a nice collection of vehicles and yes I'm jealous. 😆 Was like a list from Jay Lenos garage! Have 2 so far but already looking for a true truck style next.
From what I understand the (T) stands for telemetry on the SPMSR6100AT. Missing something on that. I thought all 3 had telemetry. What telemetry is it that the others don't have? I know I'm not understanding something there.
Thanks again my friend.

Welcome - as with parcou, I don't think there is much difference between the receivers.

As far as antenna wire length, longer is better with the way some Arrma receiver boxes route the antenna wire. With the lengths we're talking, insertion loss differences between the wire lengths is negligible. FWIW, the active portion is the stripped end at the end of the coax.

If you haven't already, take a look at Jenny's which is a kit breaker and you can get better prices on Spektrum AVC receivers: https://jennysrc.com/products/losi-...receiver-los03027?_pos=1&_sid=f294ea93c&_ss=r

Thanks for the info Engineer. I'll have to see how the antenna wire is routed when the Typhon arrives.
As for the link - never seen them before and will check into them more over the weekend.

Wondering what you meant by "kit breaker"? Hadn't heard that expression before. It showed - LOSI TENACITY PRO - RADIO SET DX3 TRANSMITTER SPEKTRUM SR6200A RECEIVER LOS03027. I take it you get the DX3, which I got with my Vendetta, and also get the SR6200A receiver? The way it was written on the website was giving me a mental block on what they meant. Sometimes I over think things! 🤔

Thanks again my friend for your help and input. It's much appreciated.

Kit breakers are companies who buy new, complete RC cars with the sole intention of parting them out. JennysRC is the most prominent option in the U.S. - they have good inventory and incredible customer service.

Breakers are great for the industry. Consumers get access to individual parts for lower than manufacturer price. And the kit breaker profits because the sum of individual parts sells for more than the price of a complete car.

Just beware that warranty is lost when buying from a kit breaker.

^^^^
Couldn’t have said it any better. Jenny’s RC is well regarded (search through this forum for people’s experiences).

But yes, you get the radio and the receiver for that price. I believe you get an SLT3 with the Typhon. The DX3 is a bit nicer RTR radio plus it has controls for AVC gain that the SLT3 does not.

Well Parcou, you had me laughing on not seeing as good as we once did. I have had more conversations on that in the last week than you can imagine. I notice it more with the planes than the cars but I do notice it in them also. Wish I had gotten my Vendetta in the fluorescent green rather then the dark blue now. LOL
Good info you gave on the settings for avc and finding the sweet spot. Also on not having a problem on range with any of them. Definitely appreciate that!
Glad your happy with the DX5C. Reading some reviews had me wondering. Looking forward to playing with it.
You have a nice collection of vehicles and yes I'm jealous. 😆 Was like a list from Jay Lenos garage! Have 2 so far but already looking for a true truck style next.
From what I understand the (T) stands for telemetry on the SPMSR6100AT. Missing something on that. I thought all 3 had telemetry. What telemetry is it that the others don't have? I know I'm not understanding something there.
Thanks again my friend.
Thank you!

The guys did a lot of good explaining...great group here!

Jenny's is great. Like the link Engineer shared, I bought many radios just for the receiver 6110, 6100, etc. I do nothing with the radio...box the radio or give it away. Cheap way to get a new receiver vs. paying full price. Some users here sell some receivers in the Classified, where I get many as well.

All three receivers using the DX5C will all read telemetry. I have not experienced one reading anything different from another. The pit or downside to getting the most out of telemetry is using ALL Spketurm stuff: ESC, receiver, and batteries. So I do not get ALL telemetry, only sum because I do not use all Spektrum stuff. I am only after the AVC and 3-AVC settings with the DX5C.

Example:
Infraction v1 - Firma 160A ESC, 6100AT. I get all readings for telem. If I would use the DX3 radio, I would get battery level warnings if I am using Spektrum batteries. Non-Spekturm batteries the DX3 radio shows no battery warnings. DX3 radio does not all manual changes to the 3-AVC controls. AVC throttle gain is set at 50%

Kraton 6S EXB - HobbyWing Max6 ESC, 6100AT. No telem readings since it is not a Firm ESC. Outside of easier controls on a display setting that is all I am getting with the DX5C and AVC control for all settings.

I am good with that. Temp would be nice to see. Like the Infraction example above, you can only get ESC temp, no ESC temp reading for the Kraton. There is no Spektrum telem option I am aware of to get motor temps at all.

Last edited:
Kit breakers are companies who buy new, complete RC cars with the sole intention of parting them out. JennysRC is the most prominent option in the U.S. - they have good inventory and incredible customer service.

Breakers are great for the industry. Consumers get access to individual parts for lower than manufacturer price. And the kit breaker profits because the sum of individual parts sells for more than the price of a complete car.

Just beware that warranty is lost when buying from a kit breaker.
Dure16 nice job explaining Kit Breakers to me. I can see where what they are doing is very beneficial and will give them some business. Always nice learning something new and saving some money in the process.

Thank you my friend.
^^^^
Couldn’t have said it any better. Jenny’s RC is well regarded (search through this forum for people’s experiences).

But yes, you get the radio and the receiver for that price. I believe you get an SLT3 with the Typhon. The DX3 is a bit nicer RTR radio plus it has controls for AVC gain that the SLT3 does not.
Engineer, Jenny's sounds like a great option. Already looked at their website and did see an option that will work and allow me to save some money. Really looking forward to getting the Typhon tomorrow.

Thanks again my friend.
Thank you!

The guys did a lot of good explaining...great group here!

Jenny's is great. Like the link Engineer shared, I bought many radios just for the receiver 6110, 6100, etc. I do nothing with the radio...box the radio or give it away. Cheap way to get a new receiver vs. paying full price. Some users here sell some receivers in the Classified, where I get many as well.

All three receivers using the DX5C will all read telemetry. I have not experienced one reading anything different from another. The pit or downside to getting the most out of telemetry is using ALL Spketurm stuff: ESC, receiver, and batteries. So I do not get ALL telemetry, only sum because I do not use all Spektrum stuff. I am only after the AVC and 3-AVC settings with the DX5C.

Example:
Infraction v1 - Firma 160A ESC, 6100AT. I get all readings for telem. If I would use the DX3 radio, I would get battery level warnings if I am using Spektrum batteries. Non-Spekturm batteries the DX3 radio shows no battery warnings. DX3 radio does not all manual changes to the 3-AVC controls. AVC throttle gain is set at 50%

Kraton 6S EXB - HobbyWing Max6 ESC, 6100AT. No telem readings since it is not a Firm ESC. Outside of easier controls on a display setting that is all I am getting with the DX5C and AVC control for all settings.

I am good with that. Temp would be nice to see. Like the Infraction example above, you can only get ESC temp, no ESC temp reading for the Kraton. There is no Spektrum telem option I am aware of to get motor temps at all.
Parcou, couldn't agree more - everyone has given really good advice and I have learned a lot. I've been looking at other brands for batteries and parts and know what you mean on needing ever thing from Spektrum. I'm interested in getting other brands and will eventually. Thought to get started I would stick with Spektrum but looking forward to getting some other brand batteries to save money. Those g1 & g2 batteries are expensive.

Great examples you gave ofnyour vehicles and how you built them. Once the Typhon arrives I will check it out and determine which route to go. With every ones help at least I have the information needed to make a purchasing decision.

Thank you my friend.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back