1/8 vs 1/10, worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nino

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Give me a reason, or several, to spend double the money on a Kraton vs a Granite BLX.

General bashing, jumping in a park. From what I've seen on YT, the new 1/10 line is hella quick and relatively bombproof. The only advantage I see for going with a 1/8 basher is added stability due to size and weight and better handling of rough terrain and less-than-golf-course-grade grass.

Right now I bash an ECX Torment and, while it is fun, being a 2wd open diff HCG small wheel big body thing, it kinda sucks.

Will a Granite 4x4 BLX be that much better or should I save up for a Kraton/Notorious/Outcast?

Thanks for your 2c.

Well you’re looking at 2 different scales. The 1:10 line is definitely better for skate parks due to it being a plastic chassis, but it’s also a lot smaller... here’s my e revo next to my senton 6s...

More suspension travel, etc. the revo is a little bigger than arrma’s 8th scale line, more like the size of the Nero. (Also spoiler is broken off waiting for a new mount)

The senton is gonna be a tad longer than your granite in physical dimensions, but your granite will have slightly wider tires... still nowhere near the size of those 8th scale MT tires. Granite will be tons of fun, that’s for sure.

Edit: hard to see the size difference in the picture, but in person the revo is gigantic compared to the senton. Probably because the senton is on it’s roof (waiting for JB weld to dry). I believe arrma calls the arrma senton 6s an 8th scale... which it’s not... same size as any other 10th scale SCT, just has 8th scale electronics which are obviously way superior. The senton 3s is the same size but is lighter and has lesser electronics. Just like the granite. It’s lighter than say a notorious (which is what I’d compare it to) but has obviously lesser electronics. It’s also got much smaller tires. Both are short wheel base monster trucks meant for big air, but the notorious is just a little bigger in every dimension. The Kraton is a standard wheel base MT which is a different story. Many have trouble keeping the stock electronics cool and have chassis bending issues (unless they don’t bash hard) however on the granite’s side, many people have trouble with the esc going out.

Last edited:
Well, the size will be a pretty obvious difference :)

As I don't have access to a skate park or dirt jumps, I have to run on whatever I can find - construction sites, high grass etc. That's why I'm thinking it may be worth getting a bigger truck. For example, my Torment gets all out of shape when it encounters a molehill. Not fun at all.

Well, the size will be a pretty obvious difference :)

As I don't have access to a skate park or dirt jumps, I have to run on whatever I can find - construction sites, high grass etc. That's why I'm thinking it may be worth getting a bigger truck. For example, my Torment gets all out of shape when it encounters a molehill. Not fun at all.
In that case the plastic chassis won’t give you any real benefit. Their 8th scale line trucks will definitely handle the bumps with ease and look (and feel) a lot better going through the ruts and jumps of a field. Because of this, I say go 8th scale now!! And a Kraton would be it for you, I’d only go notorious if you plan for gigantic air.

As most Arrma stuff is on backorder right now anyway, that'll give me some time to think (and hide some extra cash for the batteries).

I see a Kraton in my future. Judging by some construction site bashing vids it looks much more composed than the Notorious or Outcast, due to the longer WB I guess.

Thanks for the replies!

the 3s stuff has a lot of plastic... 6s lots of aluminum and it is 10x stronger if you like to bash hard and want to learn to jump them... you will spend $200 on replacement parts on a 3s to get it even close to as strong as a 6s truck... then you spend $300 to make the 6s truck pretty much bullet proof... lol

3s trucks are cheaper to run, if that makes a difference to you. Cheaper batteries and cheaper replacement parts.

the 3s stuff has a lot of plastic... 6s lots of aluminum and it is 10x stronger if you like to bash hard and want to learn to jump them... you will spend $200 on replacement parts on a 3s to get it even close to as strong as a 6s truck... then you spend $300 to make the 6s truck pretty much bullet proof... lol
Hot topic right here. Yes, arrma’s aluminum bits and bobs are much better than the 3s line, but their aluminum chassis is definitely not. Moderate bashing is fine but as soon as you do some actual hard bashing, you need a plastic chassis or 7075 aluminum. However, 7075 chassis are now available so it’s no biggie.

Hot topic right here. Yes, arrma’s aluminum bits and bobs are much better than the 3s line, but their aluminum chassis is definitely not. Moderate bashing is fine but as soon as you do some actual hard bashing, you need a plastic chassis or 7075 aluminum. However, 7075 chassis are now available so it’s no biggie.

i def need a thicker chassis like the m2c stuff but for now, i just bend them back into place... lol

If you run in a lot of grass and very uneven terrain, ground clearance is key.

I have a blast with my stampede, but it doesn't get around as easily as my revo, savage, outcast when running in park grass. It does fine when it's been mowed, but it runs exceptionally hot when it's tall.

So, if you have questionable terrain to run in, going bigger makes it easier to run anywhere.

If you have a skate park and want to have something lighter/cheaper, then 1/10th is the way to go.

I have 2 1/10 (granite sized'ish), stampede 4x4 and brushless converted eJato. The revo is considered 1/10th scale, but they are not much difference in size to my savages or outcast. I just consider my stampede/ejato as my "small" trucks and the 2 nitro revo's, nitro savage X, savage flux hp, brushless revo and outcast my "big" trucks. I always take at least one small and one big when I go bashing. I do a lot of skate park running and when people start showing up, I'll go run at the park. If it's not freshly mowed, I usually spend most of my time with the big truck.

I run all of them at the skate park.

i def need a thicker chassis like the m2c stuff but for now, i just bend them back into place... lol
Lmao that’s how I am with my senton, but I’ve only bent this chassis a single time. SWB helps a lot.
If you run in a lot of grass and very uneven terrain, ground clearance is key.

I have a blast with my stampede, but it doesn't get around as easily as my revo, savage, outcast when running in park grass. It does fine when it's been mowed, but it runs exceptionally hot when it's tall.

So, if you have questionable terrain to run in, going bigger makes it easier to run anywhere.

If you have a skate park and want to have something lighter/cheaper, then 1/10th is the way to go.

I have 2 1/10 (granite sized'ish), stampede 4x4 and brushless converted eJato. The revo is considered 1/10th scale, but they are not much difference in size to my savages or outcast. I just consider my stampede/ejato as my "small" trucks and the 2 nitro revo's, nitro savage X, savage flux hp, brushless revo and outcast my "big" trucks. I always take at least one small and one big when I go bashing. I do a lot of skate park running and when people start showing up, I'll go run at the park. If it's not freshly mowed, I usually spend most of my time with the big truck.

I run all of them at the skate park.
+1. The short revo’s are more like an outcast though.. the long revo’s are like a kraton and the 2.0 is like a nero. Now that I mentioned that I’d like to see how much bigger the e revo 2.0 is compared to the start of the platform, revo .15.

Lmao that’s how I am with my senton, but I’ve only bent this chassis a single time. SWB helps a lot.

+1. The short revo’s are more like an outcast though.. the long revo’s are like a kraton and the 2.0 is like a nero. Now that I mentioned that I’d like to see how much bigger the e revo 2.0 is compared to the start of the platform, revo .15.
I think the ERBEv2 could be concidered 1/8th scale with the diffs/axles/trans.

The others are all 1/10th scale and use the same stuff for the most part. The v1 brushless has a bit different diff in it. The 3.3 chassis is just longer, with a somewhat larger engine that still fits in a small block space.

I kind of miss my 2.5 sized chassis... if I didn't have MIP center cvd's on my 21TM revo, I'd drop it back down to a 2.5 chassis just to enjoy the twitchiness of it with that engine in there.

I think the ERBEv2 could be concidered 1/8th scale with the diffs/axles/trans.

The others are all 1/10th scale and use the same stuff for the most part. The v1 brushless has a bit different diff in it. The 3.3 chassis is just longer, with a somewhat larger engine that still fits in a small block space.

I kind of miss my 2.5 sized chassis... if I didn't have MIP center cvd's on my 21TM revo, I'd drop it back down to a 2.5 chassis just to enjoy the twitchiness of it with that engine in there.
Were your plastic center driveshafts really that bad? The ones I have on my 2.0 are original and plastic as well, and don’t have much wear at all, and I enjoy them because they take a bit of shock out of the drivetrain.

I have an ECX torment two-wheel drive, a granite 4X4, and a kraton. The torment basically never gets run anymore.

Between the granite and the kraton, there is a huge difference in running experience. The granite is smaller, and more nimble, and is a lot of fun and smaller places. Front yards, small skateparks, smaller kids parks, the granite is a lot of fun oh, more fun than the kraton.

But, the kraton has so much power. Even on 4S it outperforms my granite- on 3s. The downside to all that power, is you need a little more space to run the truck, to really let it stretch its legs and do its thing.

If the budget is a concern, stick with the granite for now. For the kraton, the truck is more expensive yes, but then you need bigger batteries, and a much stronger charger. Plus parts are just more expensive. It all adds up to be a more expensive truck to run.

If you start with the granite first, and think you might want the 6s model later, be sure to buy a strong charger. Something with 200 or 300 watts per Channel or more. This way when you step up to 6s lipos later, you won't need to upgrade your charger.

Were your plastic center driveshafts really that bad? The ones I have on my 2.0 are original and plastic as well, and don’t have much wear at all, and I enjoy them because they take a bit of shock out of the drivetrain.
No, I got the revo used. It came with MIP's for the center. For my other 2 revos, they all use plastic sliders for all axles. My brushless revo though tends to rip through the wheel sliders pretty quick. Seems I have to replace all 4 at least once a year as the yokes stretch out. Was going to try the summit ones, but for what they are, they are pricey and I think you have to buy a specific side as one side is shorter to accommodate the locking summit diffs. Which means you can't get them that cheap off ebay and you have to pay retail.

No, I got the revo used. It came with MIP's for the center. For my other 2 revos, they all use plastic sliders for all axles. My brushless revo though tends to rip through the wheel sliders pretty quick. Seems I have to replace all 4 at least once a year as the yokes stretch out. Was going to try the summit ones, but for what they are, they are pricey and I think you have to buy a specific side as one side is shorter to accommodate the locking summit diffs. Which means you can't get them that cheap off ebay and you have to pay retail.
Oh no the wheel driveshafts are steel on the new e revo... that’s a given. I was referring to the center ones lol.

You can go crazy trying to figure out which one is the way to go. Buy the Granite and put some upgrades on it like shocks or tires and the weak front end part then u will be right up there $ wise with the Kraton and Notorious.

Buy the Kraton and u will put upgrades on that too. So no matter which one u get you're going to spend more than list.

I'm buying the Kraton for sure. Also the Granite blx for $300 over the $500 outcast/notorious. Don't need another 6s truck. Granite 3s is fast enough and tough enough. Yeah its plastic chassis but tough.

Rich D and others beat the crap out of it just like the 6s trucks. For what I'm going to be doing with it, its all I need.

There is no better 3s MT out there for what u get for $300.
If u think the durability is not there then get the 6s. Many bashers use plastic chassis in skate parks for their ability not to bend such like the erevo.

The Kraton is so fantastic that I have to have one, nothing flies like Kraton IMO. The Granite will be my everyday basher. Flips, jumps, all around the house. For how tuff this truck is and its price point its a no brainer for me. My ,02 worth.

You can go crazy trying to figure out which one is the way to go. Buy the Granite and put some upgrades on it like shocks or tires and the weak front end part then u will be right up there $ wise with the Kraton and Notorious.

Buy the Kraton and u will put upgrades on that too. So no matter which one u get you're going to spend more than list.

I'm buying the Kraton for sure. Also the Granite blx for $300 over the $500 outcast/notorious. Don't need another 6s truck. Granite 3s is fast enough and tough enough. Yeah its plastic chassis but tough.

Rich D and others beat the crap out of it just like the 6s trucks. For what I'm going to be doing with it, its all I need.

There is no better 3s MT out there for what u get for $300.
If u think the durability is not there then get the 6s. Many bashers use plastic chassis in skate parks for their ability not to bend such like the erevo.

The Kraton is so fantastic that I have to have one, nothing flies like Kraton IMO. The Granite will be my everyday basher. Flips, jumps, all around the house. For how tuff this truck is and its price point its a no brainer for me. My ,02 worth.
+1 on absolutely everything he said. You can’t beat a granite, especially judging its price!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back