1/8th buggy/truggy/SCT for bashing, what are the best alternatives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
So I have a kraton EXB with 4092 and max6. For brute power, it's great. Also have an MT410. I'm good on monster trucks. For my next RC, I like the idea of adding something different to my collection. I know some of you may swear by the Typhon 6s or talion, but design wise they're not much different than the kraton. I'm looking to try something else, whether that's a better drive, better durability, more features, unique, or overall just a solid choice. Options i'm considering:

Tekno EB48/ET48 2.0
-Seems like a well rounded choice that should be durable for bashing. Will have tekno quality and precision handling (to match my mt410 and SCT410). Can setup with my own electronics and tires.
-One of the most expensive options.

HPI Vorza S Flux Buggy/Truggy
-Durable and classic. I'm a bit of an HPI "golden days" fanboy. Always wanted a Vorza buggy.
-Does it provide anything that other options don't though?

TLR Typhon
-Will drive better than the typhon 6s. Can add my own electronics. Different "variation" on the blx platform.
-Not hugely different design than blx equivalents though. Weaker for bashing than blx version?

Corally Asuga
-Bigger, and basher oriented.
-No personal experience with Corally.

Xray XB8E
-No experience with Xray, but have heard good things off hand.
-Very expensive option.

Team Losi 8ight-E or XTE.
-No experience with TA stuff, so i don't have any bias towards it.
-Seem very race oriented. Durable for bashing?

Hobao 8SC
-Love me a SCT! Would grab the kit to put my own electronics in.
-Would prefer to run on 6s based on the size, but unsure about the durability on 6s.

Hobao Hyper VS2
-Another 1/8 buggy. Would pick the ARR kit.
-I know next to nothing about Hobao.

Redcat Machete
-Okay, so i threw this in here a bit to make you laugh ;) though it is something different. For $550 i could buy the 4s version and a max6, swap in a max6 and then use a spare 4074 motor i have. And then I'd still have a spare 4s system to use towards another truck.

I'm currently leaning towards the Tekno or HPI (and maybe even the Machete, for kicks and giggles). What would you choose and why?

Last edited:
Wow we are on the exact same mindset. I have been looking into the TLR buggies, Xray, and Tekno buggies and thought about making a post just like this. I have a TLR 22t and love it and the quality. I don't race or anything I just want one for the beauty of the build and for the butter smooth driving

I've never had an HPI myself.. curious of the new truggy. It's pricey, but me like.
Asuga seems cool, I just converted a Kraton exb into something similar with Mojo suspension. Pretty sweet I think, fast like a Typhon, but a lil more ground clearance which makes it more versatile I feel.
I'm also eyeing some of the Hobao stuff, they're mainly for 4s but, they have the SC8 which is a more true to form 1/8 SCT. Also they have the caged buggy that looks pretty sweet. Relatively affordable. Parts would have to be ordered online though I think. No big deal for me, I order everything online anyway.
Xray and Tekno are kinda next level as you already know. Great, and pricey. Parts too. Think of a $50 spur gear for the Xray..
I like the Machete, seems like a ripper as long as things don't get too rough.🤷‍♂️
Me? I want a Hobao or HPI next..

Wow we are on the exact same mindset. I have been looking into the TLR buggies, Xray, and Tekno buggies and thought about making a post just like this. I have a TLR 22t and love it and the quality. I don't race or anything I just want one for the beauty of the build and for the butter smooth driving
Would go with the Tekno. Then TLR. Parts train is best for these 2 brands.
Xray is tops also, just not mainstream enough for my taste. It will shine best on a track.
Tekno is a bit heaver, yet more solid if you don't race it and just bash it.
TLR may be more fragile for bashing, moderate or otherwise. A seasoned kit builder and driver can have fun with all 3 choices.
Here in the States, TA and TLR are the Track go to's. Support is the best.
My 2 cents.
Tekno is always trying. And does very well for club level racing.
TLR track sponsored guys get biggest $$$$ and best support from HH. So TLR is dominant on the track. TA comes in second with Track sponsorship. Yet ,TA is still the Top dog IMHO. Been #1 forever. The oldest track kit brand.
:cool:

Last edited:
I suppose from cost, durability and performance perspective, Tekno is hard to beat here in the states. Longevity through parts support seems strong. HPI is hit or miss with parts availability I've heard.
Never really been a fan of Losi, too race oriented for me, plastic parts break too easily, and pricey.
Haven't owned an Associated since the 80's..

EDITED OP: added Hobao 8SC and Hyper VS2, forgot about those! The 8SC is awesome, and I think i'd be considering it more if Hobao weren't still such an unknown to me.

I like the idea of owning a truck that not many people have. Which is reason I bought (and love) the Kaiju, why I speed run an HPI bullet (with some decent results for a Bullet), and why I like SCTs like my SCT410.3. Like i'm finding the "gems" that not everyone knows about. I've got a good assortment of trucks to run, so I'm not afraid to have a truck down for a while when i'm waiting on parts.

My bashing style is currently BMX style jumps. Some mix of field bashing (lower cut grass). I think i'm just looking for something different overall, so I am willing to shake up my driving style to try something new. I think i'd tailor the bashing style for which one I pick. If it's durable, i'd be doing big jumps. Or i can keep it a "field track" basher. Or just a flat ground ripper. Or open field. Lots of thoughts, and part of the problem is I don't know what I want!

I'll probably stick to fewer jumps on this one (since that's what I have the kraton and MT410 for) and focus on field ripping and "impromptu" tracks.

Edit: What I like in RC is driving around right at the step before losing control of the car. Being in total control is fun and everything, but there's so much more satisfaction when you're driving at the edge of the RC's grip and the rear steps out. Or when you're mashing the throttle and the back gets squirrely and you have to fight to correct it. Or when you're jumping and landing your backflips or front flips just in time to be on all 4's. Idk, stuff like that gets me all jazzed about RCs. Makes me think that something super race oriented like a Xray, Mugen, TLR/TA aren't the right choices for me, maybe?

Last edited:
I suppose the Tekno ET48 may not seem much different than say a Talion to the naked eye, but as soon as you pick it up, you know there's a significant difference! A featherweight by comparison. They're almost, if not AS fast on 4s as the Talion on 6s. The weight savings is prevalent in most every scenario too. Less battery draw (longer runtime), less impact on landings, tire wear, ect.. not trying to sell anything by any means😉😂
Also, you could just buy an ET48.3 chassis, rear driveshaft and brace for say $150.. turn an MT410 into an ET48 in an hour or so..🤷‍♂️😁

Last edited:
Or.. some food for thought..
How bout an MT410 kit, M2C ET48.3 chassis, rear brace AND Tekno ET48 rear driveshaft for $479!? Dude!!!

Screenshot_20230511-163940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230511-163948_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm with you man - I have all the basics covered so now I'm mostly interested in unique RCs. A few off the top of my head:

Axial SCX6
Axial Ryft
FG (or other brand) 1/5 on-road
HPI Baja
Losi DBXLE
Losi Lasernut
Losi Super Baja Rey
Losi Super Rock Rey
Losi Tenacity DB Pro
Traxxas Summit
Traxxas X-Maxx

All that said, I'd probably get a race-brand 1/8 buggy based on your situation. The brand probably doesn't matter much for general ripping around.

@KnowAir An ET converted MT410 is an interesting option. I could use the towerhobbies discount and points to knock down the price of the mt410 kit to around $275. Then with some M2C parts from amain (and $15 discount) it would be $410ish total. That's much more enticing that $600 to 700.

In your opinion, would any of the m2c rear ET chassis support kits be worthwhile as well?
Such as
https://www.amainhobbies.com/m2c-tekno-et48.3-truggy-rear-horizontal-brace-m2c6981/p866155
Or
https://www.amainhobbies.com/m2c-te...izontal-chassis-stiffener-kit-m2c6980/p866154

@3x9rtse I did a quick search for your conversion, but didn't see a build thread pop up. Did you make one? If so, link it and I'll take a look!

@dure16 I had a Summit. Loved that truck. If you're into trailing, it's about the best option out there. Even then, i was able to have lots of fun with the truck even stock.
Screenshot_20230511_191430.jpg

The only reason I got rid of it is because we got a dog. Stopped being able to take RCs on a walks and I stopped using it.

Part of me still wonders if i want to buy a buggy. Never had one, and wondering if that might be the "something different" I'm curious about exploring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back