1/8th buggy/truggy/SCT for bashing, what are the best alternatives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KnowAir An ET converted MT410 is an interesting option. I could use the towerhobbies discount and points to knock down the price of the mt410 kit to around $275. Then with some M2C parts from amain (and $15 discount) it would be $410ish total. That's much more enticing that $600 to 700.

In your opinion, would any of the m2c rear ET chassis support kits be worthwhile as well?
Such as
https://www.amainhobbies.com/m2c-tekno-et48.3-truggy-rear-horizontal-brace-m2c6981/p866155
Or
https://www.amainhobbies.com/m2c-te...izontal-chassis-stiffener-kit-m2c6980/p866154

@3x9rtse I did a quick search for your conversion, but didn't see a build thread pop up. Did you make one? If so, link it and I'll take a look!

@dure16 I had a Summit. Loved that truck. If you're into trailing, it's about the best option out there. Even then, i was able to have lots of fun with the truck even stock.
View attachment 299064
The only reason I got rid of it is because we got a dog. Stopped being able to take RCs on a walks and I stopped using it.

Part of me still wonders if i want to buy a buggy. Never had one, and wondering if that might be the "something different" I'm curious about exploring.
Well I'm sure those braces will strengthen the chassis substantially. For jumping beyond what might be found on an rc track I'm guessing it's worth having. Obviously the weight is a penalty, but a bent chassis would ruin the day too..🤷‍♂️
I'm weary of the first kit you linked, sounds like it requires an M2C bulkhead to tower brace to use, second appears to include that piece. Someone with more knowledge of the M2C ecosystem could hopefully tell you. Maybe drop them a line over at M2C and ask what exactly is needed to use these 2 braces?
Not knocking M2C but, seems like they aren't as forthcoming about compatibility as I'd like.. such as, "you need this part to use this part"..🤷‍♂️
But yeah, like I said, it's a "cheaper" way to an ET48.3 vs buying the kit.. don't forget the wing mount if you desire one.. some good info on the subject over at Tekno forums. Search MT410 wing mount. IIRC, there are two different mounts, low and high.. I ended up with the high mount.. after I accidentally bought the 2.0 mount the first time.. Doh!!
My rendition of the rear brace.."rednecker than you!"😂😂
Oh, and that motor fan mount IS patented soo don't even try making your own!!😉😂😂

Attachments

• 16838897436376241491328231382371.jpg
    16838897436376241491328231382371.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 16838897791707203795455605399758.jpg
    16838897791707203795455605399758.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Don't forget Mugen Seiki..!! I've been eyeing up their buggy the MBX-8R ECO 😎
In the UK , I imagine Mugen parts are more easily available?
Excellent choice , the ECO. Heard many good things about it.

In the UK , I imagine Mugen parts are more easily available?
Excellent choice , the ECO. Heard many good things about it.
@SrC
I wouldn't say easily available, but I have found a LHS that stocks them.
To be honest I can't figure out who the UK distributor is 🤣🤣, I know Amain has Mugen if I was to get stuck..

And to make matters worse I just got offered £25 discount on the EB48 2.1 (this weekend only) that would make it around £75 cheaper than the Mugen..!! and the Mugen isn't in stock yet, still...😩😵‍💫🤔 ( I can see me buying them both 🤪🤣🤣)

With Few distributors, usually, Parts can and will go on B/O for long periods. Sometimes waiting months on end with a broken rig on the shelf. Next thing you know winter is here. I get PTSD from this.:LOL: Been there.

@SrC
I wouldn't say easily available, but I have found a LHS that stocks them.
To be honest I can't figure out who the UK distributor is 🤣🤣, I know Amain has Mugen if I was to get stuck..

And to make matters worse I just got offered £25 discount on the EB48 2.1 (this weekend only) that would make it around £75 cheaper than the Mugen..!! and the Mugen isn't in stock yet, still...😩😵‍💫🤔 ( I can see me buying them both 🤪🤣🤣)
Hearing any voices? They're tryin to tell ya something..🤷‍♂️🍻
Tekno is calling.. it's for you!!😉🤣🤣

I would go with the new Mugen MBX8R ECO, where you are.
I watched the whole Build. High end stuff hands down.
Adam Drake eats this stuff for breakfast. Many great tips on the build.
Parts are $$, to run any Mugen. Any RC Made in Japan is $$$. But MS Quality/ precision hands down, is on point.
I wanted one. But passed.

http://www.mugenseiki.com/spec-mbx8r_eco_e.htm

I would go with the new Mugen ECO, where you are.
Parts are $$, to run any Mugen. Any RC Made in Japan is $$$. But MS Quality/ precision hands down, is on point.

My first race truggy was because of Drake. That was when he had a Losi ride 13 or so years ago.

MUGEN FTW!

Yeah a Losi, his first Big Title win, in his 20's was with the XXX-T. Full Graphite Edition.
Got me one.:p
He is world renowned for his Nitro Engine Expertise. He still races at big Nitro events, his favorite., but getting old. Racers peak in their 20's and 30's.
He races electric because its a sponsor requirement. He excels with Nitro. He feels setting up the weight and alignment should be identical or close as possible racing both Electric and Nitro. Easier to stay competitive running both platforms.
He does Pit/Track fueling for his Wife, who also drives Nitro 1/8 Buggy very well and competes regularly. Sounds like a family thing traveling and all.

Last edited:
I would go with the new Mugen MBX8R ECO, where you are.

I watched that video twice before.. 🤣🤣🤣😎👍🏼

Anyone have thoughts on the Kyosho MP9e? Or another from Kyosho? I don't know their stuff, same as TA or Mugen, but it pops up from time to time when searching for 1/8 buggies.
Screenshot_20230512_150032.jpg

I've got the nitro version of nearly everything you listed here (MP9, 8ight, Vorza, Hyper VS2) and had the EB48 2.0. See my answer above. Or watch the videos... :)

You beat me to the punch. I saw your MP9 video.(y)(y)

I would personally go for the tlr, It can do ANYTHING. And the typhon is a really wide platform with loads of upgardes and hop ups.
So I have a kraton EXB with 4092 and max6. For brute power, it's great. Also have an MT410. I'm good on monster trucks. For my next RC, I like the idea of adding something different to my collection. I know some of you may swear by the Typhon 6s or talion, but design wise they're not much different than the kraton. I'm looking to try something else, whether that's a better drive, better durability, more features, unique, or overall just a solid choice. Options i'm considering:

Tekno EB48/ET48 2.0
-Seems like a well rounded choice that should be durable for bashing. Will have tekno quality and precision handling (to match my mt410 and SCT410). Can setup with my own electronics and tires.
-One of the most expensive options.

HPI Vorza S Flux Buggy/Truggy
-Durable and classic. I'm a bit of an HPI "golden days" fanboy. Always wanted a Vorza buggy.
-Does it provide anything that other options don't though?

TLR Typhon
-Will drive better than the typhon 6s. Can add my own electronics. Different "variation" on the blx platform.
-Not hugely different design than blx equivalents though. Weaker for bashing than blx version?

Corally Asuga
-Bigger, and basher oriented.
-No personal experience with Corally.

Xray XB8E
-No experience with Xray, but have heard good things off hand.
-Very expensive option.

Team Losi 8ight-E or XTE.
-No experience with TA stuff, so i don't have any bias towards it.
-Seem very race oriented. Durable for bashing?

Hobao 8SC
-Love me a SCT! Would grab the kit to put my own electronics in.
-Would prefer to run on 6s based on the size, but unsure about the durability on 6s.

Hobao Hyper VS2
-Another 1/8 buggy. Would pick the ARR kit.
-I know next to nothing about Hobao.

Redcat Machete
-Okay, so i threw this in here a bit to make you laugh ;) though it is something different. For $550 i could buy the 4s version and a max6, swap in a max6 and then use a spare 4074 motor i have. And then I'd still have a spare 4s system to use towards another truck.

I'm currently leaning towards the Tekno or HPI (and maybe even the Machete, for kicks and giggles). What would you choose and why?

I love my mp9, but its nitro. A lot of compatible parts between the mp9 and mp10 from what I've been told.
7075 chassis is a must jumping 1/8 buggies in my opinion, the 6061 ones just taco with big air, ask me how I know..
Thing to remember about race kits are that they tend to design some flex into the chassis for easier/better driving and so if running the stock plastic braces on the infernos it seems to cause bending. I'd look into aluminum chassis braces if you wound up with one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back