1/8th ZD RACING shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2022

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I got some new ZD Racing shocks rom AliExpress after reading positive reviews on them for the price but received them and already I have issues..

I opened one to make sure they had oil in them before trying to mount them and the bladder wasn't even mounted properly it just pinged out.

Tried to refit it but the thing is all swollen up.

Then I got a waft of the shock oil that was in them and it smelled like mineral based oil as it had a wd40 type of smell to it which is most likely why the rubber bladder had swollen up..

Open the other 3 and they are the same...

has anyone else had this issue?

Does anyone have a part number for the bladder or know another that fits?

Apart from that the shocks look nice

Hi all, I got some new ZD Racing shocks rom AliExpress after reading positive reviews on them for the price but received them and already I have issues..

I opened one to make sure they had oil in them before trying to mount them and the bladder wasn't even mounted properly it just pinged out.

Tried to refit it but the thing is all swollen up.

Then I got a waft of the shock oil that was in them and it smelled like mineral based oil as it had a wd40 type of smell to it which is most likely why the rubber bladder had swollen up..

Open the other 3 and they are the same...

has anyone else had this issue?

Does anyone have a part number for the bladder or know another that fits?

Apart from that the shocks look nice

Pics of the shock and the bladder would help. What size are they? I know you said they are 1/8TH scale, but, the diameter of the shock body itself will make a big difference. ZD Racing makes shocks in several different diameters. I have some 16MM, some 21MM, and some 25MM ones.

What ones.. pics.. dang that sucks I was eyeballing some ZD's!!😡

Which ones of the ZD racing shocks?

Pics of the shock and the bladder would help. What size are they? I know you said they are 1/8TH scale, but, the diameter of the shock body itself will make a big difference. ZD Racing makes shocks in several different diameters. I have some 16MM, some 21MM, and some 25MM ones.

Will get some pics up, the description says max diameter 25mm (measured from the spring adjuster collar) or shock body diameter is I think 21mm

Screenshot_20220911-010515_AliExpress.jpg

Pics as you can see the bladder is very swollen looking..

View attachment 242845

View attachment 242847

View attachment 242848
ZD Racing, Absima, and FTX are all rebrands of each other. Unfortunately, its really hard sometimes getting manuals, and even individual parts from ZD Racing and Absima, but, you may have some luck with the FTX DR8, since you can get manuals and part numbers easier from FTX. Look for the shock part number for the DR8, then see if you can find the specs for it. An easier way to do it though would be to get a dial caliper (they are cheap from Harbor Freight), and measure the inside diameter of the shock body, and then see if you can find something from another brand, like Arrma, Losi, Traxxas, or Team Associated. A possible way to do it, if you have a hobby shop close to you, is go see what they might have in the way of possible solutions. When you measure it, stay on the inside of the shock body, and not on the outside. The pic i added might explain it better. Just stay inside the black lines i added.

images.jpg

Another possible solution, although, it takes a bit more work, is look up IMEX RC, and see what 1/8TH scale stuff they have. IMEX (also called IMX), uses a lot of ZD Racing and FTX parts, but, the only way to get manuals from them is to do a request through their site, and wait a few days, and it might get emailed to you, if its available.

Thanks so it's not just me thinking they are too big to somehow refit lol? The seller said that's how they come from the factory and they are not needed to be opened trying to get out of a refund I think...

I will look for some of them bladders.

Yea I have a set of caliper gauges for measuring but can't find them lol.. measuring with a metal ruler says I need about 20mm diameter bladders

Thanks

Don’t know why anyone messes with overseas shipping and sellers for things they can get on amazon. The few dollars more is worth the ease of return/refund for defective Chinese parts. The only problem I’ve had with the zd shocks is weak unsupported pistons, but that’s easily fixed with a washer. There’s multiple sellers, but here’s one link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tbest-Shock-...897052&sprefix=Zd+racing+,aps,138&sr=8-8&th=1

Don’t know why anyone messes with overseas shipping and sellers for things they can get on amazon. The few dollars more is worth the ease of return/refund for defective Chinese parts. The only problem I’ve had with the zd shocks is weak unsupported pistons, but that’s easily fixed with a washer. There’s multiple sellers, but here’s one link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tbest-Shock-Damper-Pressure-Adjustable/dp/B07YZK6QJ3/ref=sr_1_8?crid=12GH8WVGW4NU4&keywords=zd+racing+shocks&qid=1662897052&sprefix=Zd+racing+,aps,138&sr=8-8&th=1

Yea but I'm in the UK, over here were looking at £45 - £50 a set, these were only £18.50 or some thing like that shipped in the flash sale and they arrived in 8 days just a shame it seems they have been filled with a mineral based oil like what the 1/5th petrol Bajas use and its fudged the bladder...

Yea but I'm in the UK, over here were looking at £45 - £50 a set, these were only £18.50 or some thing like that shipped in the flash sale and they arrived in 8 days just a shame it seems they have been filled with a mineral based oil like what the 1/5th petrol Bajas use and its fudged the bladder...
Ya it definitely makes more sense for you there, I wasn’t trying to be crass apologies if it came across that way. There’s a lot of people here that order from bangood, Ali, ect that have had good success and sometimes it’s not just a few dollars. I remember the flysky radios were like half price from bangood over amazon. In any case I’d think a standard 1/8 bladder would fit right in. This is a zd bladder and 20mm looks right as posted above.

E0FD5956-5B46-4251-BAFF-8F6AE74D9E98.jpeg

Pics as you can see the bladder is very swollen looking..

View attachment 242845

View attachment 242847

View attachment 242848

I'm guessing that their factory or warehouse got flooded a few months back and they must have gotten some crossed 'contaminated' oils.. and their quality control person decided "what the hell they all look like the same oil.. fill her up."
Ooops..
Guess this is the end result. A bunch of swoll bladders.

Wonder how many like these went down the assembly line?

I just checked mine after reading this post.
Everything seems fine (25mm). The thin oil inside isn’t leaking👍.
View attachment 243140
When you are checking for bladder size, you don't check the adjuster size. You either check the outside of the cap, or the bladder itself. If you take the spring off and check the shock body itself, its more than likely 21MM, so a 20MM bladder would be the right size for it.

I just checked mine after reading this post.
Everything seems fine (25mm). The thin oil inside isn’t leaking👍.
View attachment 243140

Have you opened and checked them inside as the bladders weren't fitted in properly to mine :-(

i had the same problem. I ended up getting a refund from the Amzon seller and threw in an o-ring from the hardware store and eliinated the bladder (I think it was a 3/4 OD x 5/8 ID). I enventually broke a piston so I am looking for a replacement.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/is-there-a-trick-for-reinstalling-shock-bladder.53854/

Wow that is exactly the same issue as mine!!!

Did they work better without the bladder?

Ya it definitely makes more sense for you there, I wasn’t trying to be crass apologies if it came across that way. There’s a lot of people here that order from bangood, Ali, ect that have had good success and sometimes it’s not just a few dollars. I remember the flysky radios were like half price from bangood over amazon. In any case I’d think a standard 1/8 bladder would fit right in. This is a zd bladder and 20mm looks right as posted above.

View attachment 243123

That Bladder looks perfectly sized... mine is around 26mm

I'm guessing that their factory or warehouse got flooded a few months back and they must have gotten some crossed 'contaminated' oils.. and their quality control person decided "what the hell they all look like the same oil.. fill her up."
Ooops..
Guess this is the end result. A bunch of swoll bladders.

Wonder how many like these went down the assembly line?

Well decided to get some from amazon just to see and again huge bladders.... at least they are easy to return to :)

Well decided to get some from amazon just to see and again huge bladders.... at least they are easy to return to :)

Hope these fit.
Good luck 👍

Another thing

2 shocks came with small hole pistons and 2 large holed. All are the same length.

Am I right in thinking large holed would be best for bashing on bumpy surfaces?

Also what weight oil would you go? 50w?? For a 1/8 4s Truggy :)

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back