Outcast 1 Million wt Diff Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RxMonkey

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I thought I’d share my thoughts on diff oil weights in the outcast.

STOCK:
Stock oils allow way too much ballooning of front tires. I cooked my diff and the support blocks for the cross pins actually melted into the diff cup a little. Needless to say way way too hot. The front and rear diff oils were very nice handling wise especially for drifting. On pavement or loose dirt the truck would slide predictably.

300K:
Next I tried 60k front 300k center 30k rear. Helped a lot with the ballooning. Less overheating the center diff. Helped with overall overheating of the motor/esc a ton too. Biggest change in handling is it tends to spin out quite easily. Drifts before were steady. They became difficult. Just as you start to slide it spins out. Less center diff action means wheelies come much easier.

1 MILLION:
*Dr Evil*
I just got this installed recently and it made a world of difference. I still have 60k front 30k rear. There is virtually no power unloaded to the front wheels. Wheelies are super easy and you can float the front end. I haven’t tried much drifting. My guess is it’ll still spin out same. The biggest change is that finally the power gets to the ground. The ballooning is tamed incredibly well. I’m pleased with the overall change it made and highly recommend 1M weight fluid to outcast folks.

Good to know. I just put a center diff via the super 5SC transmission in my savage flux. I tried 500k in it and it was a bit thin yet. I ended up with 75% 500k and 25% 1M from associated.

I think the tires you run plays a part in it too and definitely terrain. My buddy with his talion seemed to unload the diff more when running lighter tires. He's running proline trencher 3.8's on it now with 500k in the center and it seems a lot more planted than it was before with badlands. We run in grass and at skate parks. If you ran in dirt/sand a lot, you would probably want to stick with the lighter setting.

Good to know. I just put a center diff via the super 5SC transmission in my savage flux. I tried 500k in it and it was a bit thin yet. I ended up with 75% 500k and 25% 1M from associated.

I think the tires you run plays a part in it too and definitely terrain. My buddy with his talion seemed to unload the diff more when running lighter tires. He's running proline trencher 3.8's on it now with 500k in the center and it seems a lot more planted than it was before with badlands. We run in grass and at skate parks. If you ran in dirt/sand a lot, you would probably want to stick with the lighter setting.

Good point. This was mainly on backflips. I have the smaller badlands and the big trenchers. I haven’t run them much yet though. I run on a little of every terrain. I haven’t tried it out on loose dirt so I’ll have to see if it handles badly there. I’m doing my senton this evening. Was thinking to go 1M but maybe I’ll got 500k instead. It has very tiny and light tires. But it balloons like no other. Tires look like theyre 10” big

1 million weight, dang that's some thick stuff.

Thanks for sharing your findings!
Had to squeeze the bottle, then smear some off into the diff cup with a screwdriver. I did the same with 500k, let it settle a few hours, dropped in the spider gears, let it settle a few hours, then guestemated a blob of 1M to fill it up to just over the x-pins and let it sit a few hours, put the top sun gear in, which caused the oil to shift and appear overfull, but let it sit overnight and it settled flush with the top of the cup.

That was after finding out naptha breaks down silicone diff oil, which made getting the 200k/500k stuff out, waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. I forgot, I had mixed 75% 500k/25% 200k before as my first draft. Ran it for a weekend, then ordered the 1M to try to end up with 600-700k'ish oil since associated doesn't have anything between 500k and 1M.

I thought I’d share my thoughts on diff oil weights in the outcast.

STOCK:
Stock oils allow way too much ballooning of front tires. I cooked my diff and the support blocks for the cross pins actually melted into the diff cup a little. Needless to say way way too hot. The front and rear diff oils were very nice handling wise especially for drifting. On pavement or loose dirt the truck would slide predictably.

300K:
Next I tried 60k front 300k center 30k rear. Helped a lot with the ballooning. Less overheating the center diff. Helped with overall overheating of the motor/esc a ton too. Biggest change in handling is it tends to spin out quite easily. Drifts before were steady. They became difficult. Just as you start to slide it spins out. Less center diff action means wheelies come much easier.

1 MILLION:
*Dr Evil*
I just got this installed recently and it made a world of difference. I still have 60k front 30k rear. There is virtually no power unloaded to the front wheels. Wheelies are super easy and you can float the front end. I haven’t tried much drifting. My guess is it’ll still spin out same. The biggest change is that finally the power gets to the ground. The ballooning is tamed incredibly well. I’m pleased with the overall change it made and highly recommend 1M weight fluid to outcast folks.
Can't wait to get the 1M in the Talion center diff!!!

Had to squeeze the bottle, then smear some off into the diff cup with a screwdriver. I did the same with 500k, let it settle a few hours, dropped in the spider gears, let it settle a few hours, then guestemated a blob of 1M to fill it up to just over the x-pins and let it sit a few hours, put the top sun gear in, which caused the oil to shift and appear overfull, but let it sit overnight and it settled flush with the top of the cup.

That was after finding out naptha breaks down silicone diff oil, which made getting the 200k/500k stuff out, waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. I forgot, I had mixed 75% 500k/25% 200k before as my first draft. Ran it for a weekend, then ordered the 1M to try to end up with 600-700k'ish oil since associated doesn't have anything between 500k and 1M.

I just scooped it out with a small straight screwdriver. Put some in the bottom of the cup. then put the spiders/pins on top of it and squished it down. It pushed up to about the top of the pins. I felt like it was roughly full but not too full. I just did my senton as well. That thing m u r d e r s the front tires. They don't even have a chance they balloon like mad even on 1M oil. It wheelies and runs like a champ though. Loving that weight in the senton too. Time will tell if it's terrible in loose dirt though.

Can't wait to get the 1M in the Talion center diff!!!

It's ready and waiting. ;)

I've gotten into the habit of turning all my diff oil bottles upside down as soon a start disassembly on the diffs, especially 200k and above. That way all I have to do is flip the top open and squeeze.

I just scooped it out with a small straight screwdriver. Put some in the bottom of the cup. then put the spiders/pins on top of it and squished it down. It pushed up to about the top of the pins.

I had time to wait, or I would have done something similar. I was installing it during the week to run it 3 days later, so I had 3 nights to let it sit if I had to before I'd want to run it.

Hey a little off topic but I was wondering if 10000 CST weight = in k weight?? My outcast center diff shows 10000 CST stock but im not sure in what k weight is that..sorry so random just thought you could help,thanks bro im new here just trying to get some answers,I was thinking of going with 50k 100k 30k front to back with associate oil..any suggestions

K = add "000"
1k (1000cst)
10k (10,000cst)
100k (100,000cst)

Yup, I put 1m in my center diff a couple months back. I do a lot of trail running through the woods and it provides way better 4x4 action. Meaning if one wheel comes off the ground the other 3 wheels still dig.

K = add "000"
1k (1000cst)
10k (10,000cst)
100k (100,000cst)
Yeah, oddly enough, diff oils seem to be mostly listed as cst whereas shock oils have "weights" and some also list cst, like associated oils. Their shock oil bottles are labeled with both, but diff oils only show cst.

I think I'm running 100/500/100 in my outcast. All associated. I also have 30-40% of my shock oil removed (1000cst) and replaced with 2000cst associated diff oil.

The diff case has a hole w a nut, open it up and let it air out a bit once the oil has settled. I usually open it when closing it and let any overfill come out as not to strain the diff gears.

Although the wheels stay to the ground pulling, thats th front and rear diff thats heavy, the center diff is to keep traction equal so it does not unload to the front wheels.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back