$10 off coupon Ovonics at Ampow plus recommended 4500mah pack for Typhon 6s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
Ampow has sales every week and I have found the Ovonics 6s packs to be a good value product.
If you own any Ovonics and want to get a $10 off coupon, write up a review and they'll send you the coupon.

https://www.ampow.com/reviews-and-ratings.html

These are the packs I really like and they fit all my Arrma 6s battery trays. Free shipping over fifty bucks.
https://www.ampow.com/ovonic-50c-5200mah-6s1p-xt90-lipo-battery.html

They also have a 4500mah pack that I'd buy as well at 2 for $100 shipped.
They'd probably fit Typhon tray even better but you'll have to change out the connectors.
https://www.ampow.com/ovonic-50c-4500mah-6s1p-deans-2pcs-lipo-battery.html#product_tabs_fits_models

Love my ovanics
That's only half others in safe
Finally got decal came with 6 s today

Attachments

• IMG_2922.JPG
    IMG_2922.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 33
I've found a sale on two 2s 6200mAh on amazon about a month ago, one of the two actually went bad on me. I worry so much about Lipo Battery fires that I'm super cautious with them. run the packs threw a few times over the weekend, put it in storage throughout the week. Went to charge one, one day and the charger wouldn't even see the battery. Tried reaching out to them about a replacement but they wanted all these pictures, information on use, and for the price I paid I wasn't going to put that much effort into getting a 2s battery replaced. So, I don't have the greatest feeling about their batteries, could be I was unlucky and got that bad one in the batch. Doesn't mean I won't try them again either, just haven't seen any good deals recently on 3s or higher batteries through them.

Do you guys have a preference over the C Rating per battery?

I'm not an electrical engineer but I buy50c. There is all kinds of opinions on batt discharge ratings. I just buy um n run um till they die. Between that time I get my opinion

I've found a sale on two 2s 6200mAh on amazon about a month ago, one of the two actually went bad on me. I worry so much about Lipo Battery fires that I'm super cautious with them. run the packs threw a few times over the weekend, put it in storage throughout the week. Went to charge one, one day and the charger wouldn't even see the battery. Tried reaching out to them about a replacement but they wanted all these pictures, information on use, and for the price I paid I wasn't going to put that much effort into getting a 2s battery replaced. So, I don't have the greatest feeling about their batteries, could be I was unlucky and got that bad one in the batch. Doesn't mean I won't try them again either, just haven't seen any good deals recently on 3s or higher batteries through them.

Do you guys have a preference over the C Rating per battery?
At least 50c for me. I have some SMC packs with very high C rating but not sure I really notice.

I had picked up some PowerHobby batteries recently, stating they are 75c continuous and 150c peak. I definitely notice a difference in the rig running them. Though batteries I have say 25c through 50c really feel the same, even on a full burst from a stop. Just being curious and trying to learn anything new about it.

I had picked up some PowerHobby batteries recently, stating they are 75c continuous and 150c peak. I definitely notice a difference in the rig running them. Though batteries I have say 25c through 50c really feel the same, even on a full burst from a stop. Just being curious and trying to learn anything new about it.

Just some reading.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1009300-warning-lipo-c-discharge-ratings-invalid.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2974947-Don-t-Get-Fooled-By-Fake-C-Ratings-Scam-Alert

http://www.thercnetwork.com/rc-cars/lipo-battery-c-ratings/

I've come from quadcopters and it's so much easier to see fake c-rating in the air / vertical punch performance. What matters is if for instance I always buy at least 50c, I don't think I can get fooled to unusable. These ovonics aren't necessarily bottom budget and so far for me they do what I need em to do. I don't see any sag even through most of the pack. I am using the 6s 5200 though.

I've come from quadcopters and it's so much easier to see fake c-rating in the air / vertical punch performance. What matters is if for instance I always buy at least 50c, I don't think I can get fooled to unusable. These ovonics aren't necessarily bottom budget and so far for me they do what I need em to do. I don't see any sag even through most of the pack. I am using the 6s 5200 though.
The short take away from this is if a company offers 4 different batteries with 4 different c rates the battery with the highest C rate is likely to be their best performing battery. A 50c lipo from company A will never be the same as a 50c lipo from company B.

Last edited:
The short take away from this is if a company offers 4 different batteries with 4 different c rates the battery with the highest C rate is likely to be their best performing battery. A 50c lipo from company A will never be the same a 50c lipo from company B.

Right. C-rating has no industry standard and may not maintain standard even within the same producer. In my opinion it's only a gauge to measure enough to not choose lower than the vehicle specs require. This is why I go 50c at least for buffer room because I cannot trust the lipo manufacturer enough to believe that their 30c will even work with my vehicles.

General consensus is that the Power Hobby packs are dependable across the board. I think RC Dude 81 uses PH and I have some 3s that I got as a bonus when they sent me the wrong color body shell on my Noto. I like em just fine but have abused them and they've begun to puff. I'll need to wrap em before I charge again.
I would certainly buy Power Hobby but at their cost would rather SMC for the same investment. I've had a little trouble with SMC balance leads trying to come apart but user fault. Also, SMC c-rating I trust across their line and they offer some that are very high 90c+. I can't tell the difference as much though with surface vehicles.

Last edited:
I don't think they've sent a decal to me yet ? I also like the batteries a lot and will buy more.
The 2 3s 5200 batteries I ordered last night just got delivered. These were the stickers that came with them, 2 stickers from each battery. ?‍♂️
Right. C-rating has no industry standard and may not maintain standard even within the same producer. In my opinion it's only a gauge to measure enough to not choose lower than the vehicle specs require. This is why I go 50c at least for buffer room because I cannot trust the lipo manufacturer enough to believe that their 30c will even work with my vehicles.

General consensus is that the Power Hobby packs are dependable across the board. I think RC Dude 81 uses PH and I have some 3s that I got as a bonus when they sent me the wrong color body shell on my Noto. I like em just fine but have abused them and they've begun to puff. I'll need to wrap em before I charge again.
I would certainly buy Power Hobby but at their cost would rather SMC for the same investment. I've had a little trouble with SMC balance leads trying to come apart but user fault. Also, SMC c-rating I trust across their line and they offer some that are very high 90c+. I can't tell the difference as much though with surface vehicles.
So far out of all my 3s batteries, I feel those PowerHobby batteries (75c) perform the best. I haven't tried the Ovonics yet, out of Awanfi 3s 60c and Goldcat 3s 50c. They really seem to perform in that order to me as well even if we all didn't know the C Rating. Could be in my head though, haha

Attachments

• 15713587715182163549850924718006.jpg
    15713587715182163549850924718006.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Just ran my ovonic air 5200 50c 6s packs for the first time. I'm a fan.
Not sure if all the improvements I felt were from the actual pack quality or from changing from a series setup to single lead setup but it felt good.

I just tested 5200mah 50c Ovonics vs SMC 4500mah 90c.
On the Talion with LP Minokawas (because they're new and fun) and there is no question that the SMC packs are superior. I never really paid much attention before and while this wasn't a scientific test by any means, punch was huge with SMC and wheelies were abundant. It was so fast and fun.
I will be picking up some more of these high C-Rating SMC packs.

Here's how SMC rates their batteries.

Power Factor Rating
As many know the C rate of Lipo packs are not very reliable and pretty much made up as a way to sell packs. You can read about this in the article I did on RC Truck Stop by clicking the following link RC Truck Stop Article
In an attempt to let our customers know the difference between our packs we created a True Spec Amp rating which uses the internal resistance of the cells and the mAh to give the amps the cells can safely handle. In theory the higher the amps the stronger the pack will be. There is one small issue with this as it takes into account the mAh of the cells. We decided to use a different method to show the packs rating which is more accurate as we use the voltage under load to determine the cells rating. We call this Power Factor and we get this number by loading up a fully charged pack at 100 amps and taking the voltage of the pack at 5 seconds. This is similar to the amps rates you can see under acceleration in a normal 1/10th size vehicle. We take the voltage of the pack and divide it by the number of cells and this gives us the voltage per cell. A 2S pack that is at 7.84 voltage at 5 seconds under 100 amp discharge would have a 392 rating which 3.92V per cell. If we offer this model as 3S, 4S and 6S you can multiply the 392 by number of cells. A 6S pack would 2352 or 23.52V. The reason why we picked 100 amps instead of a lower amp rate or higher amp rate is we feel the higher the amp rate the more difference you can see in the cells voltage drop under load. We decided on 100 amps as this would cover the range of packs we offer from big to small as lower mAh smaller pack will have more voltage drop under load.

An example of how this rating gives more accurate results then the True Spec Amp rating we have the Amp rating on our 80175-2S2P Extreme Graphene and our 52162-2S2P Extreme Graphene packs. The 8000 has a rating of 175 amps and the 5200 is rated at 162 amps. Under our Power Factor test the 8000 has a rating of 396 and the 5200 is rated at 397. This means the 5200 will have a bit more punch power under heavy acceleration. The difference is not much so if your type of racing uses a good amount of mAh then the 8000 could be better as it will hold voltage longer under load due to the higher mAh. The weight of the pack also needs to be considered as if a pack has the same Power Factor rating as another pack but is lower in weight then it will be faster as the vehicle will have less weight to move.

I just tested 5200mah 50c Ovonics vs SMC 4500mah 90c.
On the Talion with LP Minokawas (because they're new and fun) and there is no question that the SMC packs are superior. I never really paid much attention before and while this wasn't a scientific test by any means, punch was huge with SMC and wheelies were abundant. It was so fast and fun.
I will be picking up some more of these high C-Rating SMC packs.
This I don't doubt 50c vs 90c and a large price difference. But the ovonics for the price are really good. Better than any other options at the same price range that I've tried so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back