Kraton 1100kv or 800kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodaggy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
I decided on the mmx8s esc, now trying to figure out which motor, 1100lv hobbywing or 800kv castle.

I like the fact the 1100kv doesn't have to use a stupid large pinion like the 800kv. And am pretty happy with the kraton speed stock with a 23 or so tooth pinion.

Also don't like how large the 800kv motors are.

Any negatives with sticking with the 1100kv hobbywing motor?

If you go the 800kv route and don’t want to use a huge pinion buy two 35t spool gears for the limitless and put one on the spur shaft and the other on the motor for one to one setup. It’s the way to go. Use lots of loctite on the set screws on the spur. You definitely feel the weight of the motor. It’s over a half pound heavier than a 5687...
Leopard motors give you more choice for kv on the big cans for another option.

If you go the 800kv route and don’t want to use a huge pinion buy two 35t spool gears for the limitless and put one on the spur shaft and the other on the motor for one to one setup. It’s the way to go. Use lots of loctite on the set screws on the spur. You definitely feel the weight of the motor. It’s over a half pound heavier than a 5687...
That's excellent information, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I have that system and was thinking of going with the 39p 39s I am currently 42p 47 spur how is that system running for you? What's the speed and power like in grass and bashing and also Road? thanks

I have that system and was thinking of going with the 39p 39s I am currently 42p 47 spur how is that system running for you? What's the speed and power like in grass and bashing and also Road? thanks
I haven't put a gps on it yet but it sure seems fast. The 35t spur is held in place with two set screws and they are not staying tight. I haven't sheared any off yet but have been tighten them each time I bring it back to the garage. The other issue I have is my 35t pinion is not strong enough. It is one of the cheap ones I bought from eBay. They work great with the broad stock spur but the narrow spool gear is going to strip it out. I have another spool gear coming to replace it so both gears will be the same thickness and hardness. The drive line components have all been holding up well. The only thing I'm cooking is my batteries. I need to get some that are up to the task. The HRB's were fine for my other setups but this one makes them dangerously hot to the point where you cant hold on to them for more than a couple seconds. On grass and dirt the electrics run really nice. Motor around 150-160 (have the original k8s fan rigged up) and esc around the same. I need to run a few more packs thru it for durability, see what the speed is, check temps some more and get the other spool gear in there before I call it a success but so far so good...

Is there enough adjustment for a 26t pinion and a 29t spur?

I don't think so. I made my own slide though for the bigger motors. I had to just go with one bolt o top and, might go in another mm or so. You could check with m2c or PPS and see how far their slides go down. It also would be getting close to the plastic transmission housing. heres mine with two 35t.
20200731_170357.jpg

I don't think so. I made my own slide though for the bigger motors. I had to just go with one bolt o top and, might go in another mm or so. You could check with m2c or PPS and see how far their slides go down. It also would be getting close to the plastic transmission housing. heres mine with two 35t.
20200731_170357.jpg
This is as close as my old mount gets with the hobbywing 1100kv motor. I doubt the 2028 is any smaller lol

Attachments

• 20200804_204514.jpg
    20200804_204514.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 105
If I ever buy another motor it would be one of the leopard 56 or 58mm cans. They come in a wide variety of lengths and kv. Then I could just use the stock spur, and a sensible sized pinion, I bet the MMX8s will run either of them.

If I ever buy another motor it would be one of the leopard 56 or 58mm cans. They come in a wide variety of lengths and kv. Then I could just use the stock spur, and a sensible sized pinion, I bet the MMX8s will run either of them.
So I put the 1100kv on with my mmx8s and started at 29t pinion. Ran a little warm for me so I dropped down to a 26. Lots better.

So long story short I am now putting that 1100kv in my xmaxx with another mmx8s esc and I am putting the castle sensored 800kv in my kraton. I have a 35t pinion, two 39t limitless spurs and the stock 47t spur. Thinking about going 1.1 on spur/pinion cause I also bought the castle blower. But can use any combo such as 35/47, 39/47 , 35,39, or 39/39. Hopefully I can find a ratio out of those that work so I don't have to but more damn gears lol.

So I put the 1100kv on with my mmx8s and started at 29t pinion. Ran a little warm for me so I dropped down to a 26. Lots better.

So long story short I am now putting that 1100kv in my xmaxx with another mmx8s esc and I am putting the castle sensored 800kv in my kraton. I have a 35t pinion, two 39t limitless spurs and the stock 47t spur. Thinking about going 1.1 on spur/pinion cause I also bought the castle blower. But can use any combo such as 35/47, 39/47 , 35,39, or 39/39. Hopefully I can find a ratio out of those that work so I don't have to but more damn gears lol.
I was thinking of trying the 39 / 39 myself when you do it let me know how it turns out thanks

On 800kv and 8S I think you will need to overdrive it to maintain stock speeds.

800kv with 1:1 and a mmx8s is a really nice setup. My only complaint s the extra weight of the motor compromises the handling a little and it will make cheap batteries so hot you can’t touch them. I’m still looking for ones that are good but not so freaking heavy...none yet.

On 800kv and 8S I think you will need to overdrive it to maintain stock speeds.
I'll find out but the stock pinion was 17t and putting on
800kv with 1:1 and a mmx8s is a really nice setup. My only complaint s the extra weight of the motor compromises the handling a little and it will make cheap batteries so hot you can’t touch them. I’m still looking for ones that are good but not so freaking heavy...none yet.
Your temps pretty good on 1.1 gearing? I bought a castle blower to put on it just in case.

Also I run smc 7200 lipo in my kraton. With my mmx8s and 1100kv hobbywing motor on 29t pinion the batteries hit 125°f. Though I beleive according to the castle link telemetry I was pulling almost 330 amps on that run with a 2.09 max voltage sag. Hoping they hold up to the 2028 motor.

With a 26t pinion the batteries only hit 110°f.

Temps are good. I have the stock 50mm fan mounted on my own mount for the motor. My motor is a rocket 56112 780kv so it is similar in size to the 2028 but not sensored. I really starting to like this (mmx8s) esc. For the size of a max6 you can run motors for a max5. Only trouble I had was the fan kept getting stuck on the guard and finally stopped. Sometime I’d like to get the 2028 but I found this rocket motor brand new but open box for 60$ on eBay.

Kind of wonder what hw will come out with next for bashers. Anyone with a little extra money will buy the mmx8s over the max6 or 5. Their axe system for crawlers got mixed reviews but for me I don’t think I will ever have a different combo in any crawler. It’s an amazing setup. Hopefully they will come out with an equally amazing hardcore bashers combo.
Your temps pretty good on 1.1 gearing?

How do you fit 42t×47 ??I want to run 40t×47 but don't fit on my Arma 56 mount

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back