1250 kv motor on 6s questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Discussed here once before without definitive answer. Can you run a 4092 1250kv motor w/ a 160A or larger esc on 6s? Will it be too underpowered in a Kraton or Notorious? If it can run, what pinion might be ideal for a basher? Will there be issues with cogging? Top speed is not the goal here, just a good handling basher/jumper/trickster. Esc contenders would be HW Max 6, Castle MM2 or similar. 8s is out of the question.
Reason behind this question is that I received the wrong motor. Was supposed to be 1650kv which was my ideal choice for said application. Ok team, let's here what direction you plan to head me in.
20201224_071040.jpg

It will be fine. Just have to gear for the kv. I run 1100kv on 6s better then the 4985 1650kv by far
Thanks for the quick reply. The 1650 was supposed to be a 4092 as well. I have a 1730kv on an esc similar to the Max 6 in my Kraton now and was hoping to have something similar with the 1650. On gearing, I have 50t and 46t spurs available. Using one of these as the baseline, what would be an optimal pinion size? I know I could just start flipping in and trying different combos, but I'm trying to get some knowledge from those who have already had experience, such as yourself.

I own a 1250kv Spektrum and a 1650KV Castle 1717. I've run both on 6s and on 8s. I have never run a 4092 rocket 1250, but it is longer than the Spektrum and Castle motors. Typically larger diameter / longer motors have more torque. In my experience a 1250kv motor is going to be very anemic on 6s. I ran them with identical gear ratios on 6s and 8s and the 1250kv was seriously lacking in punch / acceleration (not top speed--the car in question is kneecapped at roughly 80mph). If I were you and speed is not the ultimate goal, I would return the motor you didn't order, and get a 1650kv (regardless of manufacturer) As far as ESCs are concerned, you'll get nothing but Castle recommendations from me, particularly the MMX8S. I know you say you don't want to run 8s, and that is fine but eons down the road you may change your mind and if you run the MMX8S you'll already have the ability to do it! I know you mentioned rocket motors, but i'm thinking kv vs kv not manufacturer vs manufacturer. I'm pretty sure that 4092 is stout enough to run a big big big pinion and if it isn't bogged down, and can spin it, i'm sure you'll be happy. You may find that to spin that big big big pinion that you have to buy another motor mount to accommodate the range of gearing you may want.

I am currently using 30 tooth pinion on 52 Spur Gear with 1100 KV which is equivalent to just under 70 miles an hour on the gearing calculator so 28 to 29 should be perfect if you like a little extra wheel speed

I own a 1250kv Spektrum and a 1650KV Castle 1717. I've run both on 6s and on 8s. I have never run a 4092 rocket 1250, but it is longer than the Spektrum and Castle motors. Typically larger diameter / longer motors have more torque. In my experience a 1250kv motor is going to be very anemic on 6s. I ran them with identical gear ratios on 6s and 8s and the 1250kv was seriously lacking in punch / acceleration (not top speed--the car in question is kneecapped at roughly 80mph). If I were you and speed is not the ultimate goal, I would return the motor you didn't order, and get a 1650kv (regardless of manufacturer) As far as ESCs are concerned, you'll get nothing but Castle recommendations from me, particularly the MMX8S. I know you say you don't want to run 8s, and that is fine but eons down the road you may change your mind and if you run the MMX8S you'll already have the ability to do it! I know you mentioned rocket motors, but i'm thinking kv vs kv not manufacturer vs manufacturer. I'm pretty sure that 4092 is stout enough to run a big big big pinion and if it isn't bogged down, and can spin it, i'm sure you'll be happy. You may find that to spin that big big big pinion that you have to buy another motor mount to accommodate the range of gearing you may want.
Thanks for the input. I do not have to return the motor and will still get a full refund. It was an Amazon purchase through a China shipper. They have already acknowledged the mistake and the refund is inevitable. So I still plan to buy that 1650, but I want to start experimenting with the 1250.

Not trying to hijack this thread but this has me very curious. Is it better by far because it runs cooler?
Yes way cooler and lots of torque. The 1650 is snappier but my 1100 is a very linear powerband a little slower off the hit bit it's a freight train after about 10 feet out

Yes way cooler and lots of torque. The 1650 is snappier but my 1100 is a very linear powerband a little slower off the hit bit it's a freight train after about 10 feet out
Sounds like a dream for the summer. With a 30t pinion I’m guessing you need a larger motor mount?

Sounds like a dream for the summer. With a 30t pinion I’m guessing you need a larger motor mount?
Not sure with a 5mm shaft. My motor already required a bigger mount because the size of it. I know for certain a 27t fits that will still be a 60mph gearing

If you have a v4 motor mount you can run a 27/46 or a 22 or 23/50 (pinion/spur). If you have a limitless spool and run a 29 spur you will need a 30+ size pinion gear to even make contact with the spur. The limitless spool gives you a lot more gearing options while at the same time sacrificing your center differential. To keep your center diff, the easiest solution is to grab a aftermarket motor mount. Your standard motor uses 25mm bolt spacing. These enormous 1100kv and 800kv motors use 30mm spacing (mounting holes) and require a different mounting plate or motor mount just to fit in your vehicle.

Not sure with a 5mm shaft. My motor already required a bigger mount because the size of it. I know for certain a 27t fits that will still be a 60mph gearing
Okay gotcha. I’ve been seriously considering getting a 5687 motor 1100kv for a while but I was worried that much torque would destroy the drivetrain in my kraton 6s. Right now I’m running a TP 4070 1700kv and it’s definitely powerful but it gets a little warm in the summer heat which still isn’t hot for a motor but I like to have plenty of wiggle room.
If you have a v4 motor mount you can run a 27/46 or a 22 or 23/50 (pinion/spur). If you have a limitless spool and run a 29 spur you will need a 30+ size pinion gear to even make contact with the spur. The limitless spool gives you a lot more gearing options while at the same time sacrificing your center differential. To keep your center diff, the easiest solution is to grab a aftermarket motor mount. Your standard motor uses 25mm bolt spacing. These enormous 1100kv and 800kv motors use 30mm spacing (mounting holes) and require a different mounting plate or motor mount just to fit in your vehicle.
For sure would like to keep the center diff. If I go that route, what motor mount do you recommend? The PPS motor mount looks pretty awesome

Okay gotcha. I’ve been seriously considering getting a 5687 motor 1100kv for a while but I was worried that much torque would destroy the drivetrain in my kraton 6s. Right now I’m running a TP 4070 1700kv and it’s definitely powerful but it gets a little warm in the summer heat which still isn’t hot for a motor but I like to have plenty of wiggle room.

For sure would like to keep the center diff. If I go that route, what motor mount do you recommend? The PPS motor mount looks pretty awesome
You cannot go wrong with the PPS mount. Easiest gear mesh setting on the planet.

@Lovestricken @jhunter @jtself42 @BashingBrian,
You'll all be happy to hear that a Mamba Monster X 8s has been ordered. Kind of my Christmas present to me. Will be running it on 6s 6000 mah 100c to start and might consider 8s in the future. Gonna put the 46t spur in the center so I can cram the biggest pinion I have without changing the motor mount. On the 1250kv side, the company contacted me and is sending a 1650kv, so now I'll have two decent motor options on top of the 1730kv that is already in my Kraton. Gonna be a good start to the new year. Thanks for all the advice

Back