12mm or 17mm hex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugboat

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Are there any downsides to changing the 14mm wheel hex to a 12mm or a 17mm? Curious if it causes any excess wear and tare on any components.

Going down to 12 should be about the same as the 14's, but going up to 17's will require additional hardware that will wear differently.

Gonna assume you have a 3s. Many say 3s will wreck 12mm hexes or hubs. I switched my Senton 3s to 12mm after getting "free" new Badlands that were wrong size and type from Amazon. Could have went 17mm but the 12mm conversion hexes were cheaper. I've run my Badlands and belted Trenchers at 12mm with no issue so far for 3 months. In hindsight, since I got the Senton 6s, I kinda wish I went 17mm just for convenience.

Going down to 12 should be about the same as the 14's, but going up to 17's will require additional hardware that will wear differently.
I appreciate the information.
Gonna assume you have a 3s. Many say 3s will wreck 12mm hexes or hubs. I switched my Senton 3s to 12mm after getting "free" new Badlands that were wrong size and type from Amazon. Could have went 17mm but the 12mm conversion hexes were cheaper. I've run my Badlands and belted Trenchers at 12mm with no issue so far for 3 months. In hindsight, since I got the Senton 6s, I kinda wish I went 17mm just for convenience.
My mistakeyes I have a Senton 3S and have not decided on which size to go with. This my only RC at the time.

Going to 17mm will open up many more tire choices in the 1/8 range of tires. And they tend to be more durable as tires go. 17mm hex axles are fine.
There are limited choices for 14mm tires/wheels. Most go up to 17mm, not down to 12mm. Tire size is more critical, than actual hex size.
You decide.
FWIW, Duratrax makes 14mm wheels/tires as one option. Not plentiful though.
Alterntively, many run 1/8 Buggy wheels (having17mm hexes) on SC rigs. Just some ideas
Others may chime in with their ideas. :cool:

Going to 17mm will open up many more tire choices in the 1/8 range of tires. And they tend to be more durable as tires go. 17mm hex axles are fine.
There are limited choices for 14mm tires/wheels. Most go up to 17mm, not down to 12mm. Tire size is more critical, than actual hex size.
You decide.
FWIW, Duratrax makes 14mm wheels/tires as one option. Not plentiful though.
Alterntively, many run 1/8 Buggy wheels (having17mm hexes) on SC rigs. Just some ideas
Others may chime in with their ideas. :cool:
Thanks

Are there any downsides to changing the 14mm wheel hex to a 12mm or a 17mm? Curious if it causes any excess wear and tare on any components.

All good going using 17mm which I have done both on my 3S rigs. I go back and forth only for tire choices I like. I did the HR setup but recently bought the M2C 17mm setup and will install and test down the road...no rush just yet.

https://m2cracing.net/arrma/578-m2c-3160-arrma-17mm-hub-extenders.html

17mm feels good when you tighten the wheel nuts down. With the 14mm I have to be mindful of how tight it so I do not eat up the tire by overtightening...why I use better serrated nuts for 14mm over the Arrma nuts. The Badlands are a favorite here and a good damn tire for a 17mm option. In their "Raid" version you can go from 14mm to 17mm with their adapter...or get just the 17mm fixed.

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-mx28-2-8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-raid.asp

I go back and forth because I do like the cheaper 14mm Durtrax tires only for the look and white lettering...go figure. Need care and attention they work well for me on how I used my 4x4 and hookup well. If you go HR or M2C for 17mm just be mindful to use Loctite metal to metal and let it sit for 24hrs before usage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back