Felony 12s Felony Build Tire Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomis38

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
  8. Vendetta
Hello all,

Been a minute since I stopped in. I'm finally getting back to my Felony build. Please link me some tires that can handle 130mph, the hoons just aint cuttin it? I'm thinking foamies but I don't know what or where to buy. Thx in advance.

I have been happy so far its at 130mph and I can do multiple passes without the esc cutting out. YaY. I just need tires then ill be happy. Not looking to break speed records lol 130 is fine with me and its still pretty functional to play with in parking lots with friends, not just for speed runs.

Last edited:
I think grp tires can handle around 130mph. You would need to get extended wheel hexes to make the wheels flush with the body. IIRC about 130mph you are getting into the area of needing foam tires.
In my opinion, I would either toss the motor fans/heatsinks or get better fans for it. Those fans don't look like they do much.
Edit: If you want grp tires you would need to buy new diff gear for the front or rear diff.

Last edited:
I think grp tires can handle around 130mph. You would need to get extended wheel hexes to make the wheels flush with the body. IIRC about 130mph you are getting into the area of needing foam tires.
In my opinion, I would either toss the motor fans/heatsinks or get better fans for it. Those fans don't look like they do much.
Edit: If you want grp tires you would need to buy new diff gear for the front or rear diff.
I gotcha, I've had many grp's but not on this setup. Sorry lol that video isnt recent, it has 15k rpm aluminum case fans on the motors currently. But with my active air intake it really didnt need better. But you know how we are, of course she got more then she needed lolol.
I did 137 with grp and I'm pretty sure I have seen others get close to 150 with them
Ok seems clear then, ill get a set of grp's and they are cheap anyway, I'll swap my diff's front and rear so i can run same sized tires all around.

Whatcha think S7 compound?

If i want Foamies what and where would I buy? Cant seem to find what im looking for on typical sites like amainhobbies or amazon.

Thanks fellas!!

I gotcha, I've had many grp's but not on this setup. Sorry lol that video isnt recent, it has 15k rpm aluminum case fans on the motors currently. But with my active air intake it really didnt need better. But you know how we are, of course she got more then she needed lolol.

Ok seems clear then, ill get a set of grp's and they are cheap anyway, I'll swap my diff's front and rear so i can run same sized tires all around.

If i want Foamies what and where would I buy? Cant seem to find what im looking for on typical sites like amainhobbies or amazon.

Thanks fellas!!
I used to use S7 but I have found I really like the softer compounds because I don't like drifting around I like super hard acceleration and grip for turning at high speeds and such. So I use mediums or soft. The new grp tires are better than the old ones as well. For foams I have BSR purples from amain I believe. I don't have much experience with them though
I've gotten to 120mph with my GRPs and had no issues and I'm sure that others have gone well beyond that. But it not to say that they won't fail early, anything is possible.

Hobby Heros is having a sale on tires.
https://www.hobbyheroes.com/
That website is being a bit dishonest. They are saying 4 tires is normally $90??? They are like like $50 for 4 on amain all the time.

Ok I'm grabbing some GRPs from amain, should I do slicks? Experiences? Or just get regular tread?

My driving style, Speed runs sometimes, mainly drifting and playing in the parking lot on weekends with friends and just racing around. I don't like to call it street bashing unless I crash lolol.

I'm thinking hard compound for longer run times, and slicks for drifting and screwing around? What yall think?

I've used 4 sets now of GRPs from s3 to s7, ive not used the new ones and will be getting the new T03 and T04 stuff, hence why I'm asking for help on this one. Everyone likes different stuff but I wanna here what you like and why.

Thx.
Budget is getting kicked around a little bit, so just one set for now... I mean $800 esc's and $600 motors can hurt the pocket book a little lolol.

20220813_152118.jpg

20220810_190025.jpg

20220810_190503.jpg

20220810_190433.jpg

20220810_190421.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I'm grabbing some GRPs from amain, should I do slicks? Experiences? Or just get regular tread?

My driving style, Speed runs sometimes, mainly drifting and playing in the parking lot on weekends with friends and just racing around. I don't like to call it street bashing unless I crash lolol.

I'm thinking hard compound for longer run times, and slicks for drifting and screwing around? What yall think?

I've used 4 sets now of GRPs from s3 to s7, ive not used the new ones and will be getting the new T03 and T04 stuff, hence why I'm asking for help on this one. Everyone likes different stuff but I wanna here what you like and why.

Thx.
Budget is getting kicked around a little bit, so just one set for now... I mean $800 esc's and $600 motors can hurt the pocket book a little lolol.

View attachment 260081

View attachment 260082

View attachment 260083

View attachment 260084

View attachment 260085
That's a serious chopper. 😍

Most people say hard compound if you are drifting since it gives less grip. And they will still work for speed runs since you aren't pushing any crazy numbers. I never used slicks so no comment there but I do want to try eventually

That's a serious chopper. 😍

Most people say hard compound if you are drifting since it gives less grip. And they will still work for speed runs since you aren't pushing any crazy numbers. I never used slicks so no comment there but I do want to try eventually
Haha yes it is!! Damn thing makes me look tiny, I'm 5'9" I swear hahah.

Ok I appreciate the honesty Sir.

Can anyone speak on experience with the GRP T03 T04 slicks? my application is occasional speed run, but most likely wont have the room to do 130mph when with friends, so top out speed runs will be rare. I wanted a fast car that doesn't cut the esc every two seconds and I got it thankfully after a lot of trial and error and burning the stock spektrum esc up lol.

Thanks fellas!!
You have a heavy rig there now.... 12s ESC(s) and dual motor. Not much to complain about with tires being an issue. Is what it is. Hooning around with all that weight and you'll eat tires real quick.

You have a heavy rig there now.... 12s ESC(s) and dual motor. Not much to complain about with tires being an issue. Is what it is. Hooning around with all that weight and you'll eat tires real quick.
Not sure how to respond to that after the positivity given as it should be, help someone get over a hump, not tell them your screwed dude deal with it. hahahahhahaha. So ok lets do this SIR.

Huh? lol What I'm asking is basic and doable. It's not it is what it is, although that attitude does make me laugh. It's a fixable thing lol. Any constructive input on slicks Sir?

Eats tires, It doesn't eat them it throws them off the rim lol, I put a brand new set on and floor it from a dead stop and two tires are gone almost instantly. Obviously I have learned throttle control better since, but I did and do now know I needed better then hoons can provide me and thats ok and shouldnt hurt anyone's feelings hahah.

Seems GRP will work as a solution from the responses above. Almost everything I regularly play with is 12s and heavier then 6s rigs lol, so its normal to me these days. I never touch 6s anymore. Ill drop my 8s xmaxx out the back of the truck but thats about it lol.

It's all good.
Just that I thought the topic was about tires issues. Maybe you answered your own question. :unsure:
I am not sure. I don't have the answer, just what I can point out is all. And at the end of the day, IS what it is. You built a heavy dedicated speed runner, but also bash it hooning around.
We all do RC differently.

It's all good.
Just that I thought the topic was about tires issues. Maybe you answered your own question. :unsure:
I am not sure. I don't have the answer, just what I can point out is all. And at the end of the day, IS what it is. You built a heavy dedicated speed runner, but also bash it hooning around.
We all do RC differently.
That is a respectful response. Thank you Sir.

Now back on topic lolol.... As I have not answered my own question but have narrowed it down. GRPs for sure. Slicks or Non-Slicks? Votes?

Anyone have GRP slick experience please post what you think with my application I'll be using them on.

Last edited:
No experience with slicks. Non siped tires..
I have run Foamies also. Best for speeds over 130'ish Mph. Have you considered them. Just for speed passes? Gone Bannanas? They are very light and balanced better. Could be an advantage. Down side is quick wear. But great traction at speed. Less rotating weight will help keep the wheels intact perhaps.
Also, GRP does have a new harder composite wheel if I am correct. Might hold together better IDK.
I would give GRP slicks a try.
You do balance your wheels? right? Rotate them fequently?

No experience with slicks. Non siped tires..
I have run Foamies also. Best for speeds over 130'ish Mph. Have you considered them. Just for speed passes? Gone Bannanas? They are very light. Could be an advantage.
Also, GRP does have a new harder composite wheel if I am correct. Might hold together better IDK.
I would give slicks a try.
Sounds good, that is a good solution have a set for speed and a set for screwing around. I think I'll grab a set of slicks for now then, I know ill grab more later anyway guess it'll prolly be foams. My original post I was thinking Foamies as well as it's all I see on fast rigs. And it's all I used to run when I competition raced 1/10 scale touring indoor and outdoor in the mid 2000s.

I Rotate my well used tires for purposed Bashing, drifting, etc. Which is rare, to be honest. But the best way to get you moneys worth out of tires. I never speed run with poor tires. Too many blow outs at high speed got the $best$ of my Lim. Major carnage. You must have been through this already. Even if they look good but have a minor defect, tear or crack to them I won't push them at speed.
I have like 8 pairs of new wheels here at a given time. Many are the Hoons Disk Lim wheels. White compound.
I like them better because Spoker wheels have shattered more easily from my experience. And Disks are supposedly more aero FWIW.
Have you tried the PL Proxes wheels? They come with Hoon spoker wheels. Another option. Not cheap. You are paying for the Toyo Proxes Licensing. Same scale tread design as the real full size ones.

Last edited:
I Rotate my well used tires for purposed Bashing, drifting, etc. Which is rare, to be honest. But the best way to get you moneys worth out of tires. I never speed run with poor tires. Too many blow outs at high speed got the $best$ of my Lim. Major carnage. You must have been through this already. Even if they look good but have a minor defect, tear or crack to them I won't push them at speed.
I have like 8 pairs of new wheels here at a given time. Many are the Hoons Disk Lim wheels. White compound.
I like them better because Spoker wheels have shattered more easily from my experience. And Disks are supposedly more aero FWIW.
Have you tried the PL Proxes wheels? They come with Hoon spoker wheels. Another option. Not cheap. You are paying for the Toyo Proxes Licensing. Same scale tread design as the real full size ones.
Yeah I have 2 sets of hoons, 1 functional lol, and 2 sets of GRPs none can make a full working set haha, and I should have thrown them away a while ago. I do agree if your at high speed they need to be flawless its not worth a high speed crash. My last body skidded for like 30ft and now has giant holes in it from a blow out running questionable tires.

I have not tried any PL I will have to look into them.

I used to use S7 but I have found I really like the softer compounds because I don't like drifting around I like super hard acceleration and grip for turning at high speeds and such. So I use mediums or soft. The new grp tires are better than the old ones as well. For foams I have BSR purples from amain I believe. I don't have much experience with them though

That website is being a bit dishonest. They are saying 4 tires is normally $90??? They are like like $50 for 4 on amain all the time.
I dunno the regular price, but I picked up a full set of GRP GTJ04-XB1 and GRP GTJ03-XB1 for $20/2 tires or $40/set. The up'd the price a few bucks, but they are still cheaper than Amain.

@nomis38 what up buddy???still have the senton 6s gt??????from what I've read above,hooning with speed periodically I'd go with xm7 slicks with the J-CODE hard rims grps..but they only come in white..S7s on heavy rigs will still get hot an grip hard,plus longer life..hard rims are better heavier rides..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back