12s Kraton gets hot .. shocking!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugthing

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
hello all,
Me again looking for some advice from the best RC resource on the net! 💚

I put together this 12s setup (mainly to make use of my 6s batteries and not purchase more batteries).. there is just enough room to fit it all in.

My currrent problem is that the motor gets freekin hot 🔥🧯, so I fear it wont last long.

I had to use a 32T pinion so the motor would fit without catching on the steering rack.... is this the likely cause of the heat? (am I stressing the motor)

Could you recommend a sink and fans for this (ezrun 56113) motor?

Is there anything I can do on the ESC to reduce the power it provides to the motor?

Any advice welcome

thanks,
-bn

PXL_20210607_084054429.jpg

hello all,

I put together this 12s setup (mainly to make use of my 6s batteries and not purchase more batteries).. there is just enough room to fit it all in.

My currrent problem is that the motor gets freekin hot 🔥🧯, so I fear it wont last long.

I had to use a 32T pinion so the motor would fit without catching on the steering rack.... is this the likely cause of the heat? (am I stressing the motor)

Is there anything I can do on the ESC to reduce the power it provides to the motor?

Any advice welcome

thanks,
-bn

View attachment 150681
You can buy the M2C steering kit to get the clearance for your motor

https://m2cracing.net/cars-and-trucks/543-m2c-3296-arrma-s8-passenger-side-steering-arm.html

2 things. 1. You're slightly overvolting the motor (but I've done the same with no problems), but the truck is too heavy. I ran the same setup in my Rovan F5 but it's like 22lbs. This can be 30+lbs with lipos. Fans will help but the motor still won't last too long.

2. That ESC hates 12s. It will actually be fine with 56112/3/4 but the 70120 will destroy it & try to take the car with it. Running it with a 2028 is also great. The 800kv 2028 can handle 12s all day, but again the truck is too heavy. Castle will only warranty it on 12s up to 25lbs, meaning no 1/5 Arrmas.

As for fans, you can go with the game-changer racket or do like I did & buy 2 $4 FFB0412SHN and call it a day. I made brackets to attach them to the motor with small aluminum L-bars from Home Depot.

20210318_132550.jpg

2 things. 1. You're slightly overvolting the motor (but I've done the same with no problems), but the truck is too heavy. I ran the same setup in my Rovan F5 but it's like 22lbs. This can be 30+lbs with lipos. Fans will help but the motor still won't last too long.
oh gutted .. so you think, even with a smaller pinion there not much hope

2. That ESC hates 12s. It will actually be fine with 56112/3/4 but the 70120 will destroy it & try to take the car with it. Running it with a 2028 is also great. The 800kv 2028 can handle 12s all day, but again the truck is too heavy. Castle will only warranty it on 12s up to 25lbs, meaning no 1/5 Arrmas.
it has got the ezrun 56113 in, so thats good :)

As for fans, you can go with the game-changer racket or do like I did & buy 2 $4 FFB0412SHN and call it a day. I made brackets to attach them to the motor with small aluminum L-bars from Home Depot.
great tip, cheers

I will try to add fans and a smaller pinion to lessen the stress and see where that gets me.

Do you think I will still end up having to go to 8S?

great tip, cheers

I will try to add fans and a smaller pinion to lessen the stress and see where that gets me.

Do you think I will still end up having to go to 8S?
These motors can handle being overgeared on 8S more than they can handle being overvolted. 12s is a big step up from 8s, I would of tried 10s first. Besides heat, the first sign of a motor giving out from being overvolted is cogging. If it cogs, stop immediately. It's similar to a misfire. The power that the "pole" doesn't use just doesn't disappear. It can actual fry the ESC if a capacitor gets overloaded.

Also be careful when touching a hot motor. You can easily get 1st degree burns from touching a 150F object, & that's normal operating temps. W/O a fan on 12s can crack it 190-200F. You really don't want it over 180F. Get a cheap temp gun. With my fans, 8S 39/39 HW800, it barely hits 140F when its 90F outside.

These motors can handle being overgeared on 8S more than they can handle being overvolted. 12s is a big step up from 8s, I would of tried 10s first. Besides heat, the first sign of a motor giving out from being overvolted is cogging.
😬 it did seem to cog a little when I gunned it. Can dialing down the punch settings help?.. Anything else I can do to avoid/help with cogging?

I was unaware 5S lipos were a thing, i'll have a hunt about for some if needed.

thanks so much for the advice, I really need it

😬 it did seem to cog a little when I gunned it. Can dialing down the punch settings help?.. Anything else I can do to avoid/help with cogging?

I was unaware 5S lipos were a thing, i'll have a hunt about for some if needed.

thanks so much for the advice, I really need it
Cogging is a basic sign of being overloaded. Gearing, power, & weight can all cause it. Gear down until it stops cogging then see if you have reasonable temps, 150-160F is great for that setup but stacking runs in ambient temps in the high 90s can ruin your lipos. Avoid battery temps higher than 140F, but most batteries give out at those temps anyway. You can use 4S and 6S lipos if they have the same specs & relative age. I would also stay with the same brand & type. Don't mix regular lipos, HVs, or graphenes.

hello all,

Any advice welcome

thanks,
-bn

View attachment 150681
I did the same thing bought some 6S batteries for my sledge and then I got the arm OutKast when they were on sale put my own motor and ESC in there I think maybe it’s your gearing because my car actually runs cooler on 12 S I also have two large fans on the motor I’m running a one to one gearing but it’s also at 800 KV but you might try running gearing that’s closer to one to one say 2527 I run 2525 and it’s just an animal

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back