Fazon 13T GoolRC in Voltage Fazon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
I picked up a 13t 540 GRC motor and have a 19T pinion in there. The stock pinion that came with the car. Everything else is stock (3-1 ESC).
Took it for the first run and it’s been pretty wet outside but I wanted to try it out. Ran really well except the motor was really hot to the touch.

what could cause that? It probably wasn’t the most ideal conditions to be breaking in a new motor.

anybody have any thoughts on that set up though? and whether I should drop to a lower Pinion gear. ThNks

How hot is hot to the touch? Everyone judges differently. I would invest in a cheap temp gun or similar. Brushed motors can handle up to 150F deg sustained temps. What are the temps at the ESC, wires and battery? If they are too hot, definitely gear down. The proper way to break-in a new Brushed motor if not done during Mfr., is to run it off the car or on the car with the pinion taken off with 3.0 volts DC for 5 minutes, then 3.5 volts for 3 more min. Give or take. Break-in is best done with low voltage and not on the car running under load. don't worry about break-in however. That's not the potential issue here. The wet weather you refer too is fine for your rig. I would gear down one or two teeth if that makes you comfortable. And 13 turn in most motors is a lot of grunt power.(y) But get a temp gun. Its the only way to judge best. Put a drop of thin oil on each ball bearing. Those Gool motors can get hot. I don't think they lube the bearings well . I have a 17 Turn in my Deabolt 2 Crawler(stock pinion). It is way hotter than the stock 35 turn and 17T is way faster. But the motor temps never go over 150F. I make sure to clean and oil the bearings every 5 runs or so. Less heat build up.

Last edited:
Stock motor is a 20t motor. You put in a 13t motor which is a hotter motor gear down to the 16t pinion hole and see if the motor still runs hot. The placement of the motor doesn't allow much airflow so some like me add a fan to help keep the motor running cooler. Stock esc is only a 40a esc also not really rated for a 13t 540 motor. Even a 60a esc is only rated down to a 15t 540 motor. How hot is hot? Without a temp gun you don't really know for sure if you don't have one I would highly suggest you get one. Temp guns can be had cheap I use this pocket thermometer https://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back