Kraton 13T VS 14T VS 16T Kraton Pinion Gear?

What pinion gear do you have on your Kraton?

• 12T

• 13T

• 14T

• 16T

• I use a larger gear

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1980mac

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi all,

I just got my V2 Kraton in yesterday, Wahhoo! :cool:

Ran it on 4S for a while, then switched to 6S, but my fun was short-lived... :(

I totally shredded the stock (12T) pinion gear after only 3 wheelies! Guess someone didn't tighten this up correctly on the assembly line.

So... I created a quick poll here to see what size everyone else is using. I'm thinking that the 13T may be a really good sweet spot.

What's the best size?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

I recently bought some new wheels and tires which were smaller than stock, so I went up to a 16t pinion.

It really depends where and what you run your car on. I run a 16t now, however I don't know that i'll be able to this summer because of the hotter ambient temps. I may have to drop down to a 15t.

I recently bought some new wheels and tires which were smaller than stock, so I went up to a 16t pinion.
Makes sense. What tires and wheels did you go with?

It really depends where and what you run your car on. I run a 16t now, however I don't know that i'll be able to this summer because of the hotter ambient temps. I may have to drop down to a 15t.
I actually wondered about that. I am in Austin TX, so it's 85° today (for example). I am running the 14T through short grass and leaves, up and down small hills, etc. Would this be too much to do even on 14T with 4S or 6S?

Last edited:
I've run the 14t the whole time I've had my Kraton. And mostly 4s. The old V1 motor got hot running that gear, but was within safe limits. My new Nero motor is still turning the 14t, but it does not get hot. Not yet, anyways. We'll see how it handles Houston summers. :) I suspect it will be fine, though.

I use 14T for bashing and currently for speedruns 19T.
Thinking of trying a smaller spur soon too for speedruns: )
Locked centerdiff is awesome too.....don't lose power to the front hehe
Well at least locked center is awesome with belted src ;)

I use 14T for bashing and currently for speedruns 19T.
Thinking of trying a smaller spur soon too for speedruns: )
Locked centerdiff is awesome too.....don't lose power to the front hehe
Well at least locked center is awesome with belted src ;)

Hey, so how are you locking the center diff on the Kraton? It's already locked, isn't it? I'm a noob. :)

But, I do "get" the belted low profile tire approach. I've got my sights set on some Proline shockwaves.

I've run the 14t the whole time I've had my Kraton. And mostly 4s. The old V1 motor got hot running that gear, but was within safe limits. My new Nero motor is still turning the 14t, but it does not get hot. Not yet, anyways. We'll see how it handles Houston summers. :) I suspect it will be fine, though.

14T is pretty sweet! I just hope it handles the hills/off-roading, etc in the Texas heat! :nailbiting:

Hey, so how are you locking the center diff on the Kraton? It's already locked, isn't it? I'm a noob. :)

But, I do "get" the belted low profile tire approach. I've got my sights set on some Proline shockwaves.

The diff doesn't come locked from factory. You can pretty much lock it by putting in very thick diff oil, like 1,000,000 CST.

Actually welded it inside so the gears cannot rotate....then dremmel if needed on any welding blocking the top gear when closing the diff.

There is a very very little play on the small diffpins top and bottom inside the diff so thats the only thing im worried about now...one of those breaking ;)

Hi all,

I totally shredded the stock (12T) pinion gear after only 3 wheelies! Guess someone didn't tighten this up correctly on the assembly line.

So... I created a quick poll here to see what size everyone else is using. I'm thinking that the 13T may be a really good sweet spot.

What's the best size?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

I just did the same thing on my lunch break after a few wheeelies and hard brakes all i heard was braaaaazzzz heart sunk oh well i get to tinker around with it i just brought a pretty good hex set so i will see how it goes.

Hi all,

What's the best size?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

was it easy to get off

I guess i will be going with the 14t by force as my 12 is missing teeth

I just did the same thing on my lunch break after a few wheeelies and hard brakes all i heard was braaaaazzzz heart sunk oh well i get to tinker around with it i just brought a pretty good hex set so i will see how it goes.

was it easy to get off

I guess i will be going with the 14t by force as my 12 is missing teeth

Oh my, at least I'm not the only one I guess. :)

When it broke, it took me a good 45 min to an hour to work the bad pinion off the motor shaft. Used a needle nose, channel locks, and then a flat head screwdriver (leveraged against the motor housing) is what got it to finally budge.

The diff doesn't come locked from factory. You can pretty much lock it by putting in very thick diff oil, like 1,000,000 CST.

Great idea! What's a good brand to use?

Actually welded it inside so the gears cannot rotate....then dremmel if needed on any welding blocking the top gear when closing the diff.

There is a very very little play on the small diffpins top and bottom inside the diff so thats the only thing im worried about now...one of those breaking ;)

You're much more braver than I! I'll stick to heavy diff oil. :)

Oh my, at least I'm not the only one I guess. :)

When it broke, it took me a good 45 min to an hour to work the bad pinion off the motor shaft. Used a needle nose, channel locks, and then a flat head screwdriver (leveraged against the motor housing) is what got it to finally budge.

Great idea! What's a good brand to use?

You're much more braver than I! I'll stick to heavy diff oil. :)

If you want full lock, you can use silly putty. I have Losi brand 125k in hte CD of my Kraton. It is far from locked, but it keeps the ballooning under control, at least on 4s. 6s you will need 500k or more to control wheel spin. Or just go with silly putty.

And a tip on the "stuck" screws on the Arrma's - the factory seems to love the red locktite. Use heat to defeat it. I will put my soldering iron on a screw for a minute +, then try to break it loose.

If you want full lock, you can use silly putty. I have Losi brand 125k in hte CD of my Kraton. It is far from locked, but it keeps the ballooning under control, at least on 4s. 6s you will need 500k or more to control wheel spin. Or just go with silly putty.

And a tip on the "stuck" screws on the Arrma's - the factory seems to love the red locktite. Use heat to defeat it. I will put my soldering iron on a screw for a minute +, then try to break it loose.

Yeah, I saw a red strip in there. A little too late, but good to know on the next one. :) Thanks for the tips!

So is 500k oil too thick on 4S?

Yeah, I saw a red strip in there. A little too late, but good to know on the next one. :) Thanks for the tips!

Hi, i drive the Kraton on 6S with 12T pinion and the Outcast tires. Diff oils 100K/500K/100K, Tekno Springs, 1000 in front shocks and 800 rear and it runs perfect offroad. We drive every weekend with al lot of guys and the Kraton beats 'm all with this setup on heavy offroad terrain.
Punch setting on the ESC is level 4 (=factory setting), it doesn't wheelie at all but just launches everywhere...
Drifts a little but not too much.

On 4S i would go for 300K in the center diff. Just try it and see if you like it.

J1980mac i guess i had the luck of the draw looky here i see blue it took me about 15 minutes to get it out i ravaged my motor mount a bit on the edge facing me and i had my needle nose wrapped with a dish towel lol then i put the needle nose in the hole of the pinion and hammer tapped it out.

20170208_203642.jpg
20170208_205436-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20170208_205436-1-1.jpg
    20170208_205436-1-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Hi, i drive the Kraton on 6S with 12T pinion and the Outcast tires. Diff oils 100K/500K/100K, Tekno Springs, 1000 in front shocks and 800 rear and it runs perfect offroad. We drive every weekend with al lot of guys and the Kraton beats 'm all with this setup on heavy offroad terrain.
Punch setting on the ESC is level 4 (=factory setting), it doesn't wheelie at all but just launches everywhere...
Drifts a little but not too much.

On 4S i would go for 300K in the center diff. Just try it and see if you like it.

Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I don't mind a few wheelies. :) Do you know what the stock fluid weight is in the Kraton?

Team Associated

https://www.amazon.com/Associated-000cST-Silicone-Differential-ASC5465/dp/B0163MWZYW

That's about the thickest you can get.

Also, try looking at the Tekno pinions. Nit used them myself, but heard from people using them that they make the truck quieter and are much better quality than Arrma.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the stock pinion is a bit loud.

J1980mac i guess i had the luck of the draw looky here i see blue it took me about 15 minutes to get it out i ravaged my motor mount a bit on the edge facing me and i had my needle nose wrapped with a dish towel lol then i put the needle nose in the hole of the pinion and hammer tapped it out.

View attachment 6412 View attachment 6413

Man, that's such a good idea. I wish I had thought about that. I had my motor (in hand) trying to work the pinion gear off.

Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I don't mind a few wheelies. :) Do you know what the stock fluid weight is in the Kraton?

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the stock pinion is a bit loud.

Man, that's such a good idea. I wish I had thought about that. I had my motor (in hand) trying to work the pinion gear off.

Sorry, i can't stop improving it haha...standard shockoil is 800 front and 600 rear

Sorry, i can't stop improving it haha...standard shockoil is 800 front and 600 rear

Hey, I'm sorry. What I meant is: what's the standard diff fluid weights in the Kraton?

Last edited:
Back