Typhon 14t or 16t pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Typhon 6s
Hi guys,

I have an typhon 6s v3 (i run it on single 3s). There is an (long) story behind that but it doesn't matter.

So i was wondering, the manual says the 16t pinion is only for high speed runs and not for start stop driving bashing, etc. since it is bad for your motor.
But the V4 typhon has an 16t pinion stock(i believe?). And it also has the same electronics. So is it bad if i install the high speed 16t pinion on my V3 typhon? Let me know!

Thanks!

If your only running 3s, you should be able to use the 16t for on-road and off-road. 6S I would be cautious using the 16t for off-road. It will cause higher motor and esc temps. Adding a motor fan and heatsink will help if your concerned about heat.

The v4 comes with 14t, and 20t for speed.
The v3 also comes with 14t, but have 16t for speed.

The manual assumes the worst case scenario, which is 6s, you're on the other end of the spectrum, so its fine.

anyway, you don't have to trust any theoretical recommendations, the effect of over-gearing is heat, which you can check yourself easily, if you have a temp gun, check if the motor temp reaches 170f, and if you don't have one you can also know the limit by if you can keep touching the motor for 3-4 seconds.

if you don't reaches these temperatures - everything is fine.
If you do, either stop to let the car rest when it over heats, or use a lower gearing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back