14T Pinion Slips on Typhon v4 6S + Hobbywing Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddworld

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
My 14T pinion gear continues to slip off the motor shaft. I've tried just about everything and would appreciate any tips for how to solve. Rig and mounting below. I appreciate your time.

RC Car
  • Arrma Typhon v4 6S
  • ESC: Hobbywing EZRUN Combo MAX6 Series
  • Motor: Hobbywing 4985, 1650kv
  • Pinion: Original stock 14T
  • Tires: Duratrax Lockup C2

Installation
  • Cleaned motor and grub screw with rubbing alcohol
  • Locktite Blue, applied to grub screw on pinion
  • Grub screw tightened using Vanquish hex drivers (which are amazing by the way)
  • Hobbywing motor only has one flat side, so single grub screw was used on the pinion
  • Attempt #1: Tight mesh - pinion slipped after 15 minutes. Pinion gear was okay. Spur gear was okay.
  • Attempt #2: "Normal" mesh tightness. Sanded bottom of grub screw to ensure it made perfect contact with the flat end of motor. Pinion slipped after 10 minutes. Pinion gear was destroyed. Spur gear looks completely fine. Pictures attached.
What am I doing wrong? Any tips? Switch to Locktite Red?

I've purchased a new Arrma 14T Mod1, but want to check before making the same mistake.
Thanks

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Some times the grub screws are machined badly. I supposed you will have a new one with a replacement gear anyway...
I would use red Loctite given than you have this issue and a good set of hex wrenches.

The Pinion 14T came with two grub screws, both of which have factory-installed blue loctite. Should I use that, or wipe it off and use my own loctite? Loctite red scares me a bit, but may give it a shot if y'all are comfortable with it.

The Pinion 14T came with two grub screws, both of which have factory-installed blue loctite. Should I use that, or wipe it off and use my own loctite? Loctite red scares me a bit, but may give it a shot if y'all are comfortable with it.
I used it all the time and no issues with MIP wrenches. If your hex wrenches are as good as you say then there should be zero worries.

Alright - I've applied the dreaded threadlock red. The pinion is (hopefully) now one with the motor. I'll let it cure for 48 hours now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back