15A discharge rate too much for 4s 5000mah lipo? Noob question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yazman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
Hey all. I just recently received my super cool FD-200 discharger, and it can discharge at like 15+ amps, but now I'm reading you shouldn't discharge that fast? I know you shouldn't charge at more than 1C (e.g., 7200mah battery, don't charge more than 7.2A), but what about discharge? What's the point of me buying a separate discharger that goes to 20A if I can't discharge that fast? I'm a confused noob. My batteries are:

7200mah 3s Zeee (EC5)
6300mah 4s Traxxas
5000mah 4s Traxxas

Fast charging and discharging is tough on lipos so there is no real good reason to do it unnecessarily. For max discharge you need the c rating of your battery (if you can trust it). Multiply c rating by mah = max amps but I wouldn’t discharge any faster than you have too. Most cheap chargers take hours to discharge now you can control it to take much less time. So you should be able to use max discharge amps on your charger if it’s 20amps no problem

Last edited:
My Zeee batteries are 80C, my Traxxas are 25 "sustained" and 50 "burst."

So for the Zeee, it would be (80C*7200mah)=576,000ma=57amps?

Your batteries will be fine at 15a.

Your Kraton can pull +100amps... But it only does that for a few seconds at a time.

Think on this, how long does it take to drain your batteries in your truck? About 20 minutes? 5000mah = 5amp for one hour = 10 amps for 30 minutes, or about 15 amps for 20 minutes... Similar to running in your truck.

So yeah, hit them at 15a and don't worry.
My Zeee batteries are 80C, my Traxxas are 25 "sustained" and 50 "burst."

So for the Zeee, it would be (80C*7200mah)=576,000ma=57amps?
80*7.2a = 576. Which will melt the wiring... Pretty much all C ratings are lies. Traxxas is one of the few that probably tell the truth. 25 * 5 = 125a which is pretty reasonable, and probably true.

Oh nice! Yeah my math is bad lol. Thanks fellas! I appreciate the help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back