Outcast 16T Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So what's the straight juice on swapping the 12T for the 16T...and by that I mean the warnings plastered all over the literature and website about 16T not being suitable/recommended for off road terrain & repetitive stop/start conditions.
I will be running 4S and mostly on short grass, hard pack dirt, and snow.
Is Arrma just throwing caution to the wind, or should I be apprehensive about changing the spur?
Have any of you experienced overheating issues while running 4S or 6S in off-road conditions while using the 16T pinion?

So what's the straight juice on swapping the 12T for the 16T...and by that I mean the warnings plastered all over the literature and website about 16T not being suitable/recommended for off road terrain & repetitive stop/start conditions.
I will be running 4S and mostly on short grass, hard pack dirt, and snow.
Is Arrma just throwing caution to the wind, or should I be apprehensive about changing the spur?
Have any of you experienced overheating issues while running 4S or 6S in off-road conditions while using the 16T pinion?
I've only ran 16 since day one on Kraton and Outcast, both on 6s, haven't seen extreme temps. By that I mean anything over 140-150f, motor, 120-135 ESC. These temps are tolerable for me, most checks with temp gun have been lower than this thus far. I usually gear my motors to roughly 150f max to leave some cushion. I try to never reach/exceed 160-180 with any of them, across brands to be safe. I will gear lower if I'm happy with speeds and/or getting too toasty after first ruling out a bad bearing or some other cause for rolling resistance. It's just way more fun to bash fast for me. These rigs come way undergeared IMHO. Should add that this is dependent on ambient conditions, when summer temps arrive, need to gear down or watch temps a bit closer.

Last edited:
Cool, the way they throw it out there almost seems like a disclaimer of sorts...an 'at your own risk scenario'.
Ok I am going to hook it up, just was having some last minute apprehension before making the swap!
Beginner nerves I guess.
Was looking at the exploded views last night and my eyes popped out of my head...started thinking maybe I should leave 'well enough', alone! Lol

Cool, the way they throw it out there almost seems like a disclaimer of sorts...an 'at your own risk scenario'.
Ok I am going to hook it up, just was having some last minute apprehension before making the swap!
Beginner nerves I guess.
Was looking at the exploded views last night and my eyes popped out of my head...started thinking maybe I should leave 'well enough', alone! Lol
Beginner nerves I guess.
Like I said with the Typhon in a similar thread, got to gear these babies up to fully enjoy their true potential. Way more fun geared up Buck. Make sure to use blue locker on new pinion grub and give her 12-24 hours to fully set.

For sure!
Still waiting on my Lipo and charger...so will be a few days at least until maiden voyage.
Tonight I will be reinforcing the body with drywall tape and rubber spray.
One thing at a time...starting with the 'easy' stuff, lol

I'm a cheap bastard and run light $26 4S batteries on my outcast. Even with 12T pinion batteries get a bit warm, so I don't even worry about 16T since the batteries are my weak link. I can still pop wheelies on command so I'm happy with the setup.

I blast with the 16T pinion on 4s and temps never get high after a full battery i can still hold the motor in my hand thats surely under 140 degrees. Most of my runs are continuous back flipping and wide open through the back yard or up and down the street. Opting for 18T pinion soon

I blast with the 16T pinion on 4s and temps never get high after a full battery i can still hold the motor in my hand thats surely under 140 degrees. Most of my runs are continuous back flipping and wide open through the back yard or up and down the street. Opting for 18T pinion soon
I too have thought about bumping up 1-2 teeth. Don't see a problem as long as temps stay OK. On 6s, 16 is plenty fast for me and where I bash. Adding teeth can really make 4s noticably faster.

I'm a cheap bastard and run light $26 4S batteries on my outcast. Even with 12T pinion batteries get a bit warm, so I don't even worry about 16T since the batteries are my weak link. I can still pop wheelies on command so I'm happy with the setup.

Lol, well you can't be that cheap, you bought a $500 RC! ;)
I hear you, but I really want the truck to be running 40MPH +
I figure 16T plus a high pinch setting will give plenty of speed and accel for all bashing conditions.

What are you gents using to measure engine and ESC temp?

Lol, well you can't be that cheap, you bought a $500 RC! ;)
I hear you, but I really want the truck to be running 40MPH +
I figure 16T plus a high pinch setting will give plenty of speed and accel for all bashing conditions.

What are you gents using to measure engine and ESC temp?
I use a simple automotive heat sensing gun from Harbor Freight, also use a pocket one made by Dynamite that is very small, but surprisingly accurate. I carry it with me every bash.

I use one of those small ofna/orion/ mini temp gun, these are like $10-15 on most websites. They have adjustable emissivity and do max hold, have a back light etc. Not bad for the money. They take lithium coin cells, not super happy with battery, but I have lots of spares so it'should not a big deal.

I too have thought about bumping up 1-2 teeth. Don't see a problem as long as temps stay OK. On 6s, 16 is plenty fast for me and where I bash. Adding teeth can really make 4s noticably faster.

I' running the tenko 17t and really hasn' changed my temps enough to have me concerned or make me want to gear back down and the 17t on 6s is so much fun

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back