Typhon 16t vs 20t pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Flint

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I live in a country where we have usually 30 degrees (c) will the 20t pinion heat everything too much on 3s or go for the 16t for coller temp?

I live in a country where we have usually 30 degrees (c) will the 20t pinion heat everything too much on 3s or go for the 16t for coller temp?
Which truck? Stock electronics?

on my typhon, when the weather was closer to 40c, anything offroad with the stock 16t even would overheat after about 15 minutes. had to stay onroad when it was that hot. if its 30c, i was able to run 20t onroad with slight overheat problems. haven't tried offroad.

30C isn’t that hot tbh. If you have proper airflow on the ESC and motor, you should be fine. Stock cooling isn’t good enough. You’re gonna need motor fans and probably a better and bigger ESC fan.

I tried the 20t pinion once in cooler temperatures than 30c and still got everything really hot. Last I knew BL motors really shouldn't be above about 80c but I know the ESC has a much higher cut off. I've been going back and forth between 16t and 17t and temps seem better.

I tried the 20t pinion once in cooler temperatures than 30c and still got everything really hot. Last I knew BL motors really shouldn't be above about 80c but I know the ESC has a much higher cut off. I've been going back and forth between 16t and 17t and temps seem better.
Do you have motor fans? I've been running mine with 16T here in Texas in the evenings (90F) with YR motor fans and never gets above 130F. As it cools I want to up the pinion. Curious, do you notice a big difference between 16t and 17t?

Do you have motor fans? I've been running mine with 16T here in Texas in the evenings (90F) with YR motor fans and never gets above 130F. As it cools I want to up the pinion. Curious, do you notice a big difference between 16t and 17t?
If you are running a lot of flat out speed you do notice a difference. I go back and forth between a track I have at home and a smaller track I have at work. 16t does better when you have to pin it at the bottom of a jump but 17t definitely jumps further if you can drive smooth. Depends on what kind of driving you are doing I think

And yes I run a 40mm motor fan sorry forgot to mention that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back