1717 destruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.
Anyone seen the kevlar wrap on a 1717 rotor self destruct? Got about 6 runs on this motor. I'm running 8s, 22/50 gearing. It hit about 225° Then shut down, funny thing is, I got my MMX8S set at 170° motor shut down.
1601211874799137544200.jpg

No question that heat killed the motor, the glue will break down and release the kevlar wrap.
Pull the log and check temps? Should tell you something. My guess is that your thermal sensor was not connected right or is defective.
Should still be reporting now tbh. If it's defective you might have a warranty claim. If you didn't connect it right or came loose it's on you.

Hey Guys.
Anyone seen the kevlar wrap on a 1717 rotor self destruct? Got about 6 runs on this motor. I'm running 8s, 22/50 gearing. It hit about 225° Then shut down, funny thing is, I got my MMX8S set at 170° motor shut down. View attachment 101943
I had mine set to 180F shut off

597F8ADC-2336-42A7-B498-2B581F593E2F.jpeg

Is the shutoff in Celsius vs F? Doesn't seem to be working if it's in Fahrenheit as it looks a wee bit warmer.:(
Is the temp being logged?

Actually, does this motor actually have a temp sensor? Not familiar enough and have not seen anything in the manual.

Last edited:
Is the shutoff in Celsius vs F? Doesn't seem to be working if it's in Fahrenheit as it looks a wee bit warmer.:(
Is the temp being logged?

Actually, does this motor actually have a temp sensor? Not familiar enough and have not seen anything in the manual.
Yes it’s a sensored motor and temps are in F as Castle is USA based. All logs are in F as well. When mine unwrapped, it was the first time I had tried 8S on that motor and was about 15 seconds into that pack. Was literally my second pull of the throttle on 8S.

Yes it’s a sensored motor and temps are in F as Castle is USA based. All logs are in F as well. When mine unwrapped, it was the first time I had tried 8S on that motor and was about 15 seconds into that pack. Was literally my second pull of the throttle on 8S.
Exactly how my rotor looks, about 2/3 unwrapped. Not sure how to pull my data as I use the blue tooth link, it tells me that option isn't available yet. I was also running a bran new set of SMC extreme V2 4 cells 5200's, compared to my Yowoo 4000 graph 4s battery's. Not sure if the different cells would have really made that much of a difference though

Thank Bro, I will get another 1717 and really watch the temps very close

Do you have the sensor cable from the motor plugged into the esc? I'm assuming you are using a Castle esc. The motor temp cutoff only works when you have it connected and it's easy to break the tiny wires on the cable. I'd also enable the sensor lost warning in castle link if you haven't done so.

Do you have the sensor cable from the motor plugged into the esc? I'm assuming you are using a Castle esc. The motor temp cutoff only works when you have it connected and it's easy to break the tiny wires on the cable. I'd also enable the sensor lost warning in castle link if you haven't done so.
Yes I do have the cable attached and the sensor cable missing alarm enabled in the MMX8S.

Yes, all the above. Running sensored on a MMX8S. I didn't get a sensor lost code but maybee I will ohm out the sensor wire to be sure. Good point

Yeah, I'd check your cable. I think the default is to have the sensor lost warning disabled on the mmx8s. I'm not sure if that is an adjustable setting with the b-link or not.

Yeah, I'd check your cable. I think the default is to have the sensor lost warning disabled on the mmx8s. I'm not sure if that is an adjustable setting with the b-link or not.
It is off by default and is programmable with both Castle Link methods (USB and BT)

what were you running it in? I have mine in my infraction v2 and have made several runs on 8s.

what were you running it in? I have mine in my infraction v2 and have made several runs on 8s.
Kraton EXB with 18T pinion. Was running 2 x HRB 4S 5000mah 50C packs. Did a quick little blip of the throttle to see how it would react vs 6S and then nailed it the second pull and that’s when it shredded the Kevlar wrap. Castle said it would be covered and to send it in. They received it late last week, so I’m hoping the send out a replacement quickly.

Kraton EXB with 18T pinion. Was running 2 x HRB 4S 5000mah 50C packs. Did a quick little blip of the throttle to see how it would react vs 6S and then nailed it the second pull and that’s when it shredded the Kevlar wrap. Castle said it would be covered and to send it in. They received it late last week, so I’m hoping the send out a replacement quickly.
wow that's crazy, but I'm glad Castle is taking care of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back