17mm temporary for Granite BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freelosophy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
let me start off by saying am new at rc cars . . . I ordered a set (that will be here monday) of Proline 118411 Trencher 3.8" All Terrain Tire Mounted on Desperado Black Wheels for an MT410 that I hope to start building later this month. I've been waiting for a set of the stock tires for the granite BLX (dboots fortress) so I can get back out for more bashing but I keep waiting. No one said waiting for parts was the worse part of this hobby! . . . so the big idea is put the trenchers on the granite for a bit while the original granite tires comes in. Seems reasonable doesn't it? So I start looking for 14mm to 17mm adapters, no such thing. What am I missing? Surely people want this . . , so I read some more and conclude (hopefully incorrectly) that you either 1. have to change the axle and fit a 17mm hex or change it to 12 adn get and adapter. Hope there's an easier way . . . Anybody else stuck some 17mm hex wheels on the granite 14 mm hex?
I really thought this would be easy, I must be missing something obvious... thanks for help!

Hot racing has the 17mm hexes you need... Its a very common upgrade... I wouldn’t use the 3.8”s to mentioned... They will rub when turning and won’t let your chassis slap when jumping causing bends and breaks. Plus you will run into heat issues very fast.

Hot Racing has 14 to 17mm adapters that also extend your width by 10mm on each side. Product #ATF117XT02.
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-ATF117XT02-Aluminum-Offset/dp/B07NF7HNBM
They are very popular with Granite owners. Maybe too popular, they go out of stock quickly. I just searched for them and was not able to find any in stock.
The Pro-line Badlands MX 28's are also very popular with Granite owners. I have both the Hot Racing adapters and the MX 28's, they work great. I agree with Be Ready, I tried a different set of 3.8's on the Granite. While mine didn't rub, 2.8's suit the Granite much better.

Last edited:
2.8 tires
B318A141-DE9D-4A33-8E9D-0753329A28E4.jpeg
will work better

I went ahead and cancelled the Traxxas 6469 and ordered the one from hot racing. THANKS ! ! !

FYI for anyone looking at the hot racing 17mm hex conversions, they are quite heavy and in my experience it is a lot easier to build a durable and quick Basher when you can keep your truck as light as possible. I was considering getting the 17mm from my lhs but was surprised by the amount of weight there is in those little things. Just a tip, hope Someone finds this useful.

But honestly it shouldn’t make a huge difference because I know a lot of people have had good experience with them. Just my point of view.

I don't plan to use them long term. Am very happy with the Granite and it's stock tires. The trenchers are for the MT410 and the granite will wear them until the dboots come in. Hopefully, just a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the help folks!

well got the trenchers and it's dumb to put those enormous tires on a granite blx, to dam heavy. hopefully it will be ok with the mt410. got a set of stock tires for the granite and glued them to the old rim. seems to be holding ok after two sessions. did replace the servo and got the cheap dumbroc about a million times better than the stock crap mx2 or whatever is called. love this thing most fun I had in a while! love this thing wish there were more places to go play with it, running out of construction sites in LA.

Yeah, I tried 3.8's as well. Took about 1 minute to realize they weren't suitable. Finding a good spot is tough for me too, so I made a cardboard ramp and I have another ramp on order.

please please give so details on that ramp, been thinking of making one . . . but how much angle how big, am a noob for sure.

please please give so details on that ramp, been thinking of making one . . . but how much angle how big, am a noob for sure.
I'll tell you what I can, but it was just making the best with the cardboard boxes I had. I'd estimate my ramp is 2.5 feet wide, 3.5 feet long, 20 inches high. Don't underestimate how wide you have to make the ramp. 2 feet is minimum. 3-4 feet wide would be better, but I didn't have the cardboard to do it.

But the length, height really depended on the material I had. The important elements are a relatively flat approach and an approximately 45 degree launch angle (mine's probably more like 50 degrees.) Also, you need a curved ramp, flat ramps don't provide the right launch.

For the curve of the side supports, I tied a string around a magic marker. Held the string and rotated the marker to draw a curve that would fit in the cardboard I had. I adjusted the length until it fit, my string was around 4 feet long. I made 3 of these curved supports. After I cut out the first one I traced it to make the others. 2 of them make the sides of the ramp, and there is one inside to support the middle. All 3 are made of 2 layers of cardboard, so actually 6 pieces.

The 3 curved pieces are gorilla taped to a flat bottom. Then I taped them to the top. The front side (the one with the crossed pieces of tape in the video) is taped to the top, bottom and sides. It stabilizes the entire ramp. You can't connect it to the middle curved piece inside.

Everything is made of 2 layers of cardboard. It may sound flimsy, but the overall design makes the parts support each other. Just don't be stingy with the gorilla tape. I probably used 3 rolls.

I completely taped the bottom to avoid it soaking up water/dirt. I also used tape to further flatten out the approach. The ramp is light, if the initial contact is bumpy, the RC will just push the ramp.

Cutting the cardboard took some time. I used scissors and it created some serious sore spots in my hands. A utility knife would be better. If you have the tools, a wooden ramp may be in some ways easier. The advantage of cardboard is it's much lighter. I can carry it with one hand and one-hand drive my RC from my apartment to the spot in the video. Until I get the ramp I ordered, I'm having fun with this.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back