17mm tires for Granite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. If you choose the 3s Typhon parts option, the best way to get parts is Jenny's RC. Hexes, nuts, pins and screws come together for half the price of buying them separately https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...heel-hex-hubs-ar102696?variant=19221996863542 The axles are sold along with driveshafts (it's good to have driveshaft replacements on hand) https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...iveshafts-front-rear-new-wheel-axles-ar102696
Does the axle come out of this drive shaft? I haven't upgraded to all the 3s Typhon parts, but I ordered the drive shaft you linked above. With the stock drive shafts, can't you easily swap the granite and typhon axles? I thought these new ones you recommended were the same stock drive shafts, but the axle seems fixed in place, so I'm thinking I'll be breaking the piece if I try to remove it.

Does the axle come out of this drive shaft? ... I thought these new ones you recommended were the same stock drive shafts, but the axle seems fixed in place, so I'm thinking I'll be breaking the piece if I try to remove it.
Yes, the axles come out of the driveshaft. You have to insert a 2.0 hex wrench through the driveshaft and unscrew the screw that holds the axle in place.

IMG_1057.jpg

Yes, the axles come out of the driveshaft. You have to insert a 2.0 hex wrench through the driveshaft and unscrew the screw that holds the axle in place.

View attachment 205513
Got it, thanks.

Can I just use the Typhon 3s driveshaft on the Granite and/or Big Rock? I understand the axle is bigger, but otherwise, does it matter? Maybe this should have been my initial question.

Yes, you can use them on the Granite/Big Rock. The driveshafts are exactly the same across the 3s line.

Be aware, the fronts are longer than the rear. If you look closely the fronts are marked with the letter "A" and "D". The rears are marked with one and two dots. You can see the dot at the top of the photo above.

Yes, you can use them on the Granite/Big Rock. The driveshafts are exactly the same across the 3s line.

Be aware, the fronts are longer than the rear. If you look closely the fronts are marked with the letter "A" and "D". The rears are marked with one and two dots. You can see the dot at the top of the photo above.
So if the larger Typhon axle wont fit into one of the drive shafts, does that mean the original Granite drive shaft is chewed up too much and needs to be tossed? The original axle and even the bearing were hell to separate from the drive shaft, so I'm guessing it's trashed. (And yes, I removed the screw before trying to rip the axle out)

Yes, the Typhon axle should fit. Axles are usually not difficult to remove, so it sounds like the driveshaft is trashed. The bearings can take some prying to get off.

Last edited:
Yes, the Typhon axle should fit. Axles are usually not difficult to remove, so it sounds like the driveshaft is trashed.
Loctite gets in and make it hard to pull out sometimes. Just heat the axle a bit. Driveshafts shot anyway so doesn’t matter if it’s warped. just need to recoup the axle.

Wouldn't explain why he can't get a new Typhon axle in though.
Yeah, I mean the threads or whatever the grooves are called inside the driveshaft look a bit chewed. The other side looked just as bad though, and the typhon axle fit right in. Not the end of the world, but hoping this doesn't indicate a bigger problem. I don't want to put brand new drive shaft/axles on just to have them get chewed too. I guess we shall see

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back