Typhon 17mm wheel hex torque?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I was wondering how tight is tight enough to keep the wheels securely on the car and not too tight to damage anything. I went over my 6sv5 before ever running it. A couple of the 17mm wheel hex nuts were a little loose as I was able to tighten them up with the supplied cross wrench. I Itightened all 4 equally and they stayed on fine for the pack I ran through her and showed no signs of loosening when I did my post pack inspection on her. I’m so used to working on aluminum with torque values and generally just go by feel except on vital engine fasteners etc.but your experience and expertise is probably even better. how tight do you guys put the 17mm wheel hex nuts? Do you retighten them every time you use your typhon? and does anybody know what the specific torque value for them is supposed to be? thanks

Last edited:
Ok. thanks. They seem pretty fragile and I didn’t want to strip anything but I also don’t want them flying off a 6s powered missile either. Maybe the aluminum hub nut assembled is stronger than I’m thinking. I am always going to check them before each run and only use the supplied cross wrench and grip it in the middle so I can’t apply too much torque anyway? That’s how much I tightened them out the box and all is well so far. thanks

Last edited:
I have plenty of that 242 blue but wasn’t sure if that is even necessary or not? thanks

I tighten pretty loosely -- tight enough that I use my whole hand, but not enough to feel any flex in the plastic. I used to do just three fingers on the wrench, but I did loose a wheel once with that tactic (wasn't a big deal), so now I go a touch tighter and haven't had any problems. But not even remotely as tight as I could if I really wrenched on it. My philosophy is "loose-tight-broken" and I don't wanna hit "broken".

Haven't heard of using loctite on the wheel nuts. There was a thread on this forum recently from a guy who destroyed his wheels (and maybe his whole drive shaft?? didn't read the whole thing) by putting loctite on the nuts. He couldn't get them off and had to saw them off in the end I think.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/used-loctite-and-now-cant-get-the-wheels-off.35705/

I tighten pretty loosely -- tight enough that I use my whole hand, but not enough to feel any flex in the plastic. I used to do just three fingers on the wrench, but I did loose a wheel once with that tactic (wasn't a big deal), so now I go a touch tighter and haven't had any problems. But not even remotely as tight as I could if I really wrenched on it. My philosophy is "loose-tight-broken" and I don't wanna hit "broken".

Haven't heard of using loctite on the wheel nuts. There was a thread on this forum recently from a guy who destroyed his wheels (and maybe his
Lwhole drive shaft?? didn't read the whole thing) by putting loctite on the nuts. He couldn't get them off and had to saw them off in the end I think.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/used-loctite-and-now-cant-get-the-wheels-off.35705/

There’s numerous recommendations for blue thread lock to stop loose wheel nuts on this forum. I personally had a cerated wheel nut come loose and had a helpful person here recommend a drop of blue thread lock and I did it and I haven’t had any issues since. It’s important to use blue not red and honestly I would use a soldering gun to break the thread lock before sawing the wheels off.

I don't have a ton of runs on my Typhons, but I use a regular socket wrench with a 17mm bit, and tighten until I feel the wheel hex serrations "click" past each other a few times. So far I haven't had a problem with loose or escaping wheels, and I regularly switch between the stock shoes and Hoons for on-road runs. I wouldn't really overthink this. In any case, if you do happen to strip something, the 4-packs of both the hex hubs and hex nuts are pretty cheap to obtain for replacement.

I put steel bolts into cast aluminum on pretty much a daily basis so stripping them won’t be an issue. I’ll just check them before each run and only tighten them with the provided cross wrench if needed to make sure they stay goodnntight on the typhon ok. thanks

Do NOT use loctite on your wheel nuts. They are alloy and will corrode and never come off. There is a recent thread about someone that used loctite and then had to cut his wheels off, and still couldn’t get them it off.

I treat mine like an oil filter. I screw them until they are snug, the go a bit more. You get a feel for it.

Do NOT use loctite on your wheel nuts. They are alloy and will corrode and never come off. There is a recent thread about someone that used loctite and then had to cut his wheels off, and still couldn’t get them it off.

I treat mine like an oil filter. I screw them until they are snug, the go a bit more. You get a feel for it.

Blue thread lock corroding alloy isn’t true it will work without issue.

Blue thread lock corroding alloy isn’t true it will work without issue.

He doesn’t say if its red or blue and he also says he needs to get a proper wrench for the lug nuts. He could of been using a crescent wrench who knows but one thing I do know is Loctite says their Blue Loctite is safe for aluminum.

From the factory my wheel nuts were tighter than I have ever put them on.

How does blue loctite corrode alloy. I’ve been in the automotive repair business for 30 years and we loctite everything. Loctite isn’t going to damage/ corrode anything unless you use too much or the wrong kind The dude that had to cut his wheels off was probably the jets fan from NY. And he probably used gorilla glue. I put a dab of blue loctite on every time I put the wheels back on and I have not had a problem. Its probably the safest bet to not loosing a wheel and possibly crashing your rig because of it. Aluminum mounted to steel corrodes. IE set screws in aluminum diffs. Using loctite actually puts a coating between it

How does blue loctite corrode alloy. I’ve been in the automotive repair business for 30 years and we loctite everything. Loctite isn’t going to damage/ corrode anything unless you use too much or the wrong kind The dude that had to cut his wheels off was probably the jets fan from NY. And he probably used gorilla glue. I put a dab of blue loctite on every time I put the wheels back on and I have not had a problem. Its probably the safest bet to not loosing a wheel and possibly crashing your rig because of it. Aluminum mounted to steel corrodes. IE set screws in aluminum diffs. Using loctite actually puts a coating between it
I never did ask the guy nor did he post any pics, but I am willing to be he used red.

I never did ask the guy nor did he post any pics, but I am willing to be he used red.
I use automotive red gel on my set screw for my pinion and I still don’t have any problems. I did have some early problems using that when the screw went into plastic and I stripped them getting them out. With all the vibrations of these cars. You need a big bottle of blue loctite I use it on everything I put back together

Back