Granite 19t pinion Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampguts

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Voltage
So my son wouldn't let me play with his truck much, so I got myself one. I'm totally new to RC, but I'm having fun.
20181113_174118.jpg

Has anyone run the nineteen tooth pinion on a stock Granite? Should I be more cautious about outdrive or overheating issues if I install one? I'm running six of the included lithium ion cells, haven't jumped to lipo yet. It's been raining constantly and my driving isn't up to par quite yet.

Mostly asphalt and gravel running right now. I wanna see this "25+ mph" the package claims. Right now it only does about nineteen.

You can drop the bigger pinion in there, but check the motor temp often for your first run or three. Get a IR thermometer (I use a $12 one from Harbor Freight) and keep the temps under 170f.

I already own a few IR guns, some nice, cause of welding. One seventy is safe for plastic, really?

Anyone know what size hex for the set screw?

That's what I thought. I guess I got my metric set and my standard set mixed up again.

It only gained three mph with the larger pinion. Of course I just downloaded a GPS app so it might not be super accurate. I was getting 19 before, 22 now.

It only gained three mph with the larger pinion. Of course I just downloaded a GPS app so it might not be super accurate. I was getting 19 before, 22 now.

It seems like you are enjoying the hobby! I'd suggest getting the Granite 3s BLX. Then you will be looking at over twice the speed of the Voltage. You are going to become bored with that truck and you don't want to keep throwing money at it :)

You're right, I'm already kinda itching for more speed but I'm too green about the driving and maintenance aspect. Four wheel drive seems like a lot more work. I only got myself a Voltage to race my five year old who I got the same truck for on his birthday on the first. I'm not supposed to be playing with it, Santa is supposed to bring it to me per his (the boy's) Christmas list. Haha.

It seems like you are enjoying the hobby! I'd suggest getting the Granite 3s BLX. Then you will be looking at over twice the speed of the Voltage. You are going to become bored with that truck and you don't want to keep throwing money at it :)
Do you think it would be dumb to jump from this to a larger truck like a Senton or Outcast in a few months? Maybe run it on 3S until I'm comfortable and jump to six?

Do you think it would be dumb to jump from this to a larger truck like a Senton or Outcast in a few months? Maybe run it on 3S until I'm comfortable and jump to six?

Not at all. Run on 4s and then go to 6s if you want.

Sounds like a great plan to me. Start with 3s or 4s. If you want to keep on a budget, the BLX3s trucks are a great option. Lots of performance and toughness, but a lot less total cost - cheaper batteries, chargers, tires, etc...

You're right, I'm already kinda itching for more speed but I'm too green about the driving and maintenance aspect. Four wheel drive seems like a lot more work.

One of the Great Things about the Armma 4wd trucks - they are designed to be easy to work on. Yeah, there is more moving parts, but I can have the diffs out in under 5 minutes in either my BLX6s or my mega 4x4. 4 screws + 4 set screws for the BLX6s, and the front or rear diff is in your hand. For the Mega/BLX3s - it is 1 screw to pull the power module, then 2 or 3 more screws (don't remember) and the diff assembly is out. 3 more screws, and the diff is out of the yoke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back