1st Kraton, 1st Build, 1st Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one sexy mammajamma! Awesome build and even better craftsmanship.
Thanks man. The whole build was a learning event. A bunch of times I had to switch gears and go a different route then I had planned on, just like the motor mount.
I should also note that with the stock spur and a 20t pinion on the Hobbywing 1650 the mesh felt ok, but I wasn't entirely happy with it. I think it was due to the bottom plate on the Yeah Racing dual fan heatsink that I couldn't get the mesh any tighter. I picked up a Arrma 50 series motor plate. This plate raised the motor up, just a hair, enough to clear the chassis with the bottom plate. This allowed me to get a better mesh with the larger can motor.

Last edited:
A few functional "dress up" steps I took were to add a little protection to the bottom of the chassis, as well as the battery tray.

On the chassis, I applied a chassis protector from DarkSide Studios. I've used these before on my Typhon and they're a great product! Comes in a bunch of different designs, most of which can be customized, and they're way more durable than you'd think. The ones for the Kraton also come with pieces for the side guards.
received_956366034730285.jpeg

received_2428591327377651.jpeg

*Bit of advice with these: TAKE YOUR TIME AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Do that and you shouldn't have any issues.

I also did a little something with the battery tray. On most of my rigs I install a piece of yoga mat to both help pad the tray, as well as provide a little more friction to prevent the battery from sliding. For good measure I also added some Just Bash It battery straps (Thanks Curt) and took a silver paint marker to the Arrma logo on the receiver box.
received_1562177660589067.jpeg

I know many people have trouble finding a fan/heatsink for the 4985 size can. I tried a few different options.

I started off talking to one of the custom fan builders, Nicholas Tordella. After speaking with him he doesn't have anything that is a perfect bolt on for them. I got a Hobbywing C4 heatsink with the 40mm (I think that's the size) fan. I wasn't a fan, pun intended haha, of the blue, so I stripped the anodization and stretched out the heatsink. The fit was good, but have never been super excited about the pressure mount style, especially once you really get into "sending it".
I've used The Yeah Racing dual fan setup, so decided to give it a try. They also started making a red heatsink. Ordered the heatsink and some WTF 30mm fans. The YR fans have been fine on my other rig, but I've heard from many, that the WTF are superior, even if just in how well they're balanced. I wrapped some pliers in an old t-shirt, as to not scratch op the heatsink and got to bending. Because the aluminum YR uses is fairly thin, it was easy to do, especially compared to the Hobbywing C4 heatsink.
Size up, bend, size up and bend some more. I found that holding the "top" of the heatsink and slowly bending the sides helped keep the circular shape and it didn't flatten out too bad (have experienced that before). Also, because the YR was designed for a 1/8 motor and not a 1/6, like the 4985, I used longer screws to mount it to the bottom plate. Said bottom plate is smaller than the top plate, so bending that was even easier. I finished it off with Alza carbon fiber fan grills. Because they're so flat, I added a few small washers on the screws that mount the grills, to make sure there is no binding problems with the fan blades. It gave just enough clearance.
Sorry for the long winded post for something as simple as a heatsink/fan, but with so many looking for the same answer I was, I thought it was worth the time. I'm super happy with the end result. The fit is great and I think it looks awesome! View attachment 48734
thanks for info was looking for a fan set up for my 1650 that's on its way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back