2 3’s or 1 6 battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EbbTide

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I have a new Kraton on the way and already have a couple of 3s. Is it best to run 1 battery over the pair? Any pros or cons? Thank you

I have a new Kraton on the way and already have a couple of 3s. Is it best to run 1 battery over the pair? Any pros or cons? Thank you

You will get varying opinions. Mine is there is no real pros or cons either way. If you have some 3s, then use those.

I like the thought of running 2 x 3S packs just because if a cell dies, your not out the cost of a big 6S pack. However, if the pack is old, then you likely don't want to run the other old pack with a new one because the IR will differ causing the old one to get over discharged on you when you run it with a new one. But, then you at least still have the old 3S pack to run with other old 3S packs or in a smaller truck capable of running 3S.

I think the difference is simple, running a pair is more cost effective, you can replace one, and also you can reuse the packs on other smaller rigs (that uses 2s or 3s).

Single on the other hand is more convenient, easier to charge since you need only one charger, and you can even yank a pack mid charge (like when you just want to test your rig for a sec on the street outside) without needing to wait it to finish charging (as long as the cells are balanced), when charging a pair, there are very small chances the two packs will be in balance between them to stop it mid charge.

It's twelve of one half a dozen of the other. I find that 2 3s packs tend to be smaller and lighter than 1 6s. My Turnigy HD 5000MAH 6S just barely fits in the battery tray wile my 2 5200mah 3s fit with room to spare.

If running dual 3s you could label each pack and alternate which plug you connect it to on the esc. The battery clonnected to the positive side of the esc will always drain a little bit more than the one connected to the negative side of the esc, ie the battery connected to the positive side of the esc might be at 3.50v per cell and the other battery will be 3.54v per cell. It's debatable as to whether or not this small variance has any effect on pack life or not but I feel that alternating the packs can't hurt anything.

Last edited:
I think the difference is simple, running a pair is more cost effective, you can replace one, and also you can reuse the packs on other smaller rigs (that uses 2s or 3s).

Single on the other hand is more convenient, easier to charge since you need only one charger, and you can even yank a pack mid charge (like when you just want to test your rig for a sec on the street outside) without needing to wait it to finish charging (as long as the cells are balanced), when charging a pair, there are very small chances the two packs will be in balance between them to stop it mid charge.

That is a good point. I usually just use a single because it is easier to keep track of than trying to keep two paired up.

If running dual 3s you could label each pack and alternate which plug you connect it to on the esc. The battery clonnected to the positive side of the esc will always drain a little bit more than the one connected to the negative side of the esc, ie the battery connected to the positive side of the esc might be at 3.50v per cell and the other battery will be 3.54v per cell. It's debatable as to whether or not this small variance has any effect on pack life or not but I feel that alternating the packs can't hurt anything.

I've read that a lot, but for the life of me don't know why it matters. Whether you run 2x3S in series or a single 6S, they are both 6 lipo cells wired in series. So, if the postive side drains faster than the negative, then that would be true within a 6S pack as well. And with a single pack, you can't alternate, so the positive cell(s) are going to always get abused the most. So, if that truly is the case, then running 2x3S is better if you alternate.

I've read that a lot, but for the life of me don't know why it matters. Whether you run 2x3S in series or a single 6S, they are both 6 lipo cells wired in series. So, if the postive side drains faster than the negative, then that would be true within a 6S pack as well. And with a single pack, you can't alternate, so the positive cell(s) are going to always get abused the most. So, if that truly is the case, then running 2x3S is better if you alternate.

Apparently the wires and connectors between 2 packs creates more resistance than what there would be inside a single pack,(I have no idea how they wire packs up internally so if this is true or not is beyond me) and that is what causes the difference in voltage.

Awesome! Thanks for indulging this newbs question. I will stick with my dual 3s. I can’t wait to get my Kraton. I forgot what it’s like to be a kid at Xmas lol.

Weight would be about the only factor I can imagine if the MaH is all the same.

It's twelve of one half a dozen of the other. I find that 2 3s packs tend to be smaller and lighter than 1 6s. My Turnigy HD 5000MAH 6S just barely fits in the battery tray wile my 2 5200mah 3s fit with room to spare.

What batteries are your 5200 3s? I have noticed that all of the Turnigy batteries are large and heavy compared to other brands of the same capacity.

One advantage to running a single 6s instead of two 3s batteries is that cells are normally matched within a pack but not necessarily matched between two packs. So if you have two 3s batteries, one battery may have 3 cells that are 4950mah with an internal resistance of 1 and the other pack may have 3 cells that are 5175mah with an internal resistance of 2.5, which each battery by itself is a perfectly fine battery but when wired together could have trouble staying balanced together as they drain. Where if you have a single 6s pack they will all have roughly the same capacity and resistance and it should drain more in balance.

What batteries are your 5200 3s? I have noticed that all of the Turnigy batteries are large and heavy compared to other brands of the same capacity.

One advantage to running a single 6s instead of two 3s batteries is that cells are normally matched within a pack but not necessarily matched between two packs. So if you have two 3s batteries, one battery may have 3 cells that are 4950mah with an internal resistance of 1 and the other pack may have 3 cells that are 5175mah with an internal resistance of 2.5, which each battery by itself is a perfectly fine battery but when wired together could have trouble staying balanced together as they drain. Where if you have a single 6s pack they will all have roughly the same capacity and resistance and it should drain more in balance.

Some cheapo Zop Power batteries that suck.
The only company that I know of that matches both packs is Maxamps but their batteries are in most cases 2 times as much as any competitor.

Some cheapo Zop Power batteries that suck.
The only company that I know of that matches both packs is Maxamps but their batteries are in most cases 2 times as much as any competitor.
Yeah and I also wasn't saying that the Turnigy batteries were bad batteries or anything, I've heard a lot of good things about them. Just when I look up the specs of the Graphenes and the HDs I see the weight and size of them and am blown away.

I've always wanted to try Maxamps one time but I just have a hard time with the price. For the price of two 4s Maxamps batteries I got 18 gensacearespammers 2s batteries. Maybe one of these days I'll save up the money to get try one LOL.

I have been searching for 6S 50 to 60C 6000maH that will fit in the V3 Typhon and not having much luck of late. Maxamps are nice but pricey. I did not want to use aircraft batteries due to soft sides but they will fit and have several.....any leads please share!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back