2 snapped bolts - whats the best way to remove them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demogorgon

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Snapped the front bumper on my Kraton and two of the bolts snapped as well. What would be my best way to go about getting them out?
Screw extractor?

IMG_3140.JPG

For future reference, screw extractors won't work on bores that small. You ever get one that can't be gripped with vise grips or pliers, you need to drill it out. Start with the smallest bit you have, this one is mainly to centre your hole then start progressing with bit sizes. By time you get to 3/4 of the bore, softly angle the bit while its inside the hole(SOFTLY, as to not break the bit) and reverse the drill slowly. More often than not this will extract the bolt. But in some cases you will need to completely drill the bolt out and re-tap(re-thread) the hole with a slightly larger tap from a Tap and Die set.

For future reference, screw extractors won't work on bores that small. You ever get one that can't be gripped with vise grips or pliers, you need to drill it out. Start with the smallest bit you have, this one is mainly to centre your hole then start progressing with bit sizes. By time you get to 3/4 of the bore, softly angle the bit while its inside the hole(SOFTLY, as to not break the bit) and reverse the drill slowly. More often than not this will extract the bolt. But in some cases you will need to completely drill the bolt out and re-tap(re-thread) the hole with a slightly larger tap from a Tap and Die set.
?? yes, I could not find any extractors that small. Good to know for the future!

?? yes, I could not find any extractors that small. Good to know for the future!
They DO make them for bolts that small but as someone who has used them many times over the years, I believe the smallest bore I ever used one successfully on was 3/8(roughly 10m)
I would imagine these things work better on drill presses because the three most common issues with using an extractor are pressure, speed, and centering.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back