2-speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I understand why electric cars have no multispeed gearbox; because the torque band is linear and there is no peak torque/RPM like there is in traditional gas engines.

However, would it not be beneficial to have a 2-speed gearbox in my Talion? Then I wouldn't need to worry so much about what pinion to run. I could run a large pinion on all terrain, as the 1st gear in the 2-speed gearbox will reduce the strain on the motor, until the vehicle is up to speed where it'll shift into the second gear to achieve greater top speed. This would keep the motor and esc heat down by not straining it at low RPM. Am I missing something?

I still have 3 nitro jatos with 2 speed trans.
Love them. Nothing like hearing them scream and change gear like a Chevy Powerglide.

Hi guys,

I understand why electric cars have no multispeed gearbox; because the torque band is linear and there is no peak torque/RPM like there is in traditional gas engines.

However, would it not be beneficial to have a 2-speed gearbox in my Talion? Then I wouldn't need to worry so much about what pinion to run. I could run a large pinion on all terrain, as the 1st gear in the 2-speed gearbox will reduce the strain on the motor, until the vehicle is up to speed where it'll shift into the second gear to achieve greater top speed. This would keep the motor and esc heat down by not straining it at low RPM. Am I missing something?
What you are missing is that either 1), if you use the high speed gear for road bashing, you will probably overheat, or B) - there won't be much of a difference between low and high.

I still have 3 nitro jatos with 2 speed trans.
Love them. Nothing like hearing them scream and change gear like a Chevy Powerglide.

I beg to differ as I was always a sucker for a whining Muncie Rockcrusher M22 ?

I beg to differ as I was always a sucker for a whining Muncie Rockcrusher M22 ?
Still have one sitting on my garage floor, out of my 69 Camaro! I use Powerglides in my drag cars for consistency!

Still have one sitting on my garage floor, out of my 69 Camaro! I use Powerglides in my drag cars for consistency!

Saweeeet! But with all due respect, being consistent can be done with a 4 speed with some solid footwork and good timing. More complicated to achieve than with a ‘Glide, but Grumpy Jenkins proved this time and time again ?

It's a good thought , but with the RPM range ( 0 to 50k) of an electric motor it's not really needed. Although it would be nice to easily switch to a lower gear when bashing in heavy grass.

It's a good thought , but with the RPM range ( 0 to 50k) of an electric motor it's not really needed. Although it would be nice to easily switch to a lower gear when bashing in heavy grass.
Precisely. And then have the ability to switch to a higher gear when you go back on road, to gain that top end

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back