Raider 2016 Raider XL BLX vs. old

Is the 2016 Raider XL BLX the same as the old version minus electronics?

• Yes, other than electronics they're the same

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, new electronics, but there are also other changes you didn't mention and they are.....

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolrcguy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hello, I am new to this forum, I do not own any ARRMA rc's YET. But I have had my eye on the Raider XL BLX for about a year.

However after watching and reading many reviews, I determined it wasn't quite worth the money. I was seeing far too many disappointed folks. I heard of electronics issues, dog bones being too short, parts of the car being assembled incorrectly from the factory, etc. BUT, they have re-released the Raider XL BLX with new electronics just like their other 1/8 scale cars, and I also noticed some cosmetic changes, ( like the aluminum roof now appears to be plastic, and the aluminum TVP's are absent). The price I see has been dropped to $250.

I have tried to do additional research on this 2nd gen version of the car, but there don't appear to be any NEW reviews out yet. Can anyone tell me, if ARRMA also corrected some of the other issues I read about? I am not into digging through grass to find a dog bone my car tossed away......

The price is right for me to purchase it, especially with the towerhobbies discount, I would just like a little encouragement that it won't be a dud.

Thanks in advance to any help and I look forward to participating here!

Hello, I am new to this forum, I do not own any ARRMA rc's YET. But I have had my eye on the Raider XL BLX for about a year.

However after watching and reading many reviews, I determined it wasn't quite worth the money. I was seeing far too many disappointed folks. I heard of electronics issues, dog bones being too short, parts of the car being assembled incorrectly from the factory, etc. BUT, they have re-released the Raider XL BLX with new electronics just like their other 1/8 scale cars, and I also noticed some cosmetic changes, ( like the aluminum roof now appears to be plastic, and the aluminum TVP's are absent). The price I see has been dropped to $250.

I have tried to do additional research on this 2nd gen version of the car, but there don't appear to be any NEW reviews out yet. Can anyone tell me, if ARRMA also corrected some of the other issues I read about? I am not into digging through grass to find a dog bone my car tossed away......

The price is right for me to purchase it, especially with the towerhobbies discount, I would just like a little encouragement that it won't be a dud.

Check out this YouTube unboxing. He has several other videos of the car before and after some upgrades as well

T
Check out this YouTube unboxing. He has several other videos of the car before and after some upgrades as well

thank you for the reply. I guess my confusion is whether or not they fixed the other issues with the buggy other then the electronics. I have watched all of that guy's videos on both the XL BLX, and the XL MEGA versions. He seems to be happy with the mega version so far. But are they identical other then one having a brushed motor instead of brushless? I assumed the brushless BLX version would have tougher parts.

I recently upgraded my Mega to brushless. I used an RC gear shop motor with an Arrma BLX speed control. So far I have not had an issue with anything electric (knock on wood).
Not sure if the new esc is different. I bought my esc right before the new cars were released.

as soon as I got on this forum I too was reading all the electric horror stories of the past and was just waiting for an issue- but I have yet to have any problems!!! Hope you have the same luck !!!

I recently upgraded my Mega to brushless. I used an RC gear shop motor with an Arrma BLX speed control. So far I have not had an issue with anything electric (knock on wood).
Not sure if the new esc is different. I bought my esc right before the new cars were released.

as soon as I got on this forum I too was reading all the electric horror stories of the past and was just waiting for an issue- but I have yet to have any problems!!! Hope you have the same luck !!!

Thank you. I just wish they would post more detailed information about the exact changes they have made.

Yea I'm having the same problem where my manuals are not showing the parts that come with the car. They have upgraded the cars but not the manuals becuase it is too costly too reproduce all those manuals. What I don't get is why they don't update the manuals on their website becuase that would be a very cost effective way of handling the problem. If you need further assistance I would call hobbico or another big RC company and confirm everything that's warranted, and if there's and updates too the car they will send you those parts of you have proof of purchase within 2 years unless purchased through tower hobbies membership program which you double your warranty to 4 years. Hope this helps!

Yea I'm having the same problem where my manuals are not showing the parts that come with the car. They have upgraded the cars but not the manuals becuase it is too costly too reproduce all those manuals. What I don't get is why they don't update the manuals on their website becuase that would be a very cost effective way of handling the problem. If you need further assistance I would call hobbico or another big RC company and confirm everything that's warranted, and if there's and updates too the car they will send you those parts of you have proof of purchase within 2 years unless purchased through tower hobbies membership program which you double your warranty to 4 years. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input sir. I will keep that in mind. By the way I read your thread a couple days ago. Sounds like you are having fun with the car. I'm definitely looking into those STRC upgrades when I get mine

Hi Coolrcguy,

I just received my new Raider XL BLX v2 version this week.

It is my second Arrma (the other one being a Talion) and compared to the regular sized Raider BLX (which I happened to have maintained for a friend of mine) I really like the size, and the looks, of the XL. Components seem to be good quality and I really like how Arrma engineers its models. I am hardly a mechanic, but Arrma makes it look as if everything is (relatively) easy to maintain. It is just really well made and designed.

Unfortunately I have an issue with the servo: I did only two or three testruns on a brand new 3s lipo and all of a sudden, the servo simply stopped functioning. I did not hit anything or bumped over something. The test run was indoors on a concrete floor of a parking garage, Throttle works fine, but wheels stayed in utmost left position.

I changed Lipo to a 2s: same issue. I changed radio gear (different radio/transmitter): same issue.

Of course I am disappointed that it did not work out of the box. I have contacted Hobbico in Germany, I hope they can shed some light.

If news, I will post again. Sorry i cannot be more positive.

Best

@Coolrcguy
Ha! I only now read elsewhere on this forum that you already purchased the Typhon. Enjoy! I hope you like it as much as I do my Talion.
Cheers!

Back