Outcast 2018 Outcast stuck sun gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booboo71

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I was just checking my diffs out after a couple runs just to have a look and thinking about shimming. So far the center and rear diff all have sun gears that are stuck on the pin and outdrives. I was able to pry the center one off the ring gear but didn't want to push the issue with the one inside the case. Didn't want to chew it up with pliers trying to dig it out.
Just wondering if this was common or any tricks to get them out? Thanks!

Slam the diff case face down really hard sometimes works
Thanks! Didn't worry too much about it and filled the center back up with 80k and 10k in the rear. Didn't do the front yet but wanna put 30 or 50k in there. Will run a few more times and check again. If they break i will just shim new ones.

I just shimmed the four center gears in the middle diff. Manley bc I had four shims on hand. Do the two outside gears even need shimming? I havnt had any problems yet, although ive only had my outcast a few months. I do run it hard as balls tho!

After blowing gears in my typhon I quickly learned the general rule when it comes to big jumps and flips..... Don't land in full throttle!

Step son and I both had issues with stuck sun gears in 3 out of 9 diffs opened up recently. I took a very small hex wrench shortened the bend end and was able to push up on drive cup enough to get it in and turn under the sun gear. I just latched on with some Vise Grips and pulled and worked it till it popped off. Not really sure what is holding it. Feels too strong to be suction, but usually if you just leave upside down for 20-30 minutes or so they will fall right out. I was impatient and forced these all out.

I too have this problem, but with only one of my differentials.
The first time I took my diffs apart to shim them, I had to work at the 2 sun gears in one diff for about 30mins to get them out.
Used some needle nose pliers.
It was a nightmare for sure.
Definitely not suction...what it is in fact, is the cut out slot on the back of the sun gear is not machined properly.
Note that the cut out/pin direction on the back of the sun is the same as the slots on the outdrive, so when you are prying, try to wiggle back and forth in that direction...as there will bes less resistance and therefore greater chance of breaking free.
All that said, it’s a real hassle and a total PITA.
$hit this simple shouldn’t be so damn hard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back