Kraton 2020 Kraton Tires - What are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKPatriots

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey folks! I've searched around and found a TON of tire threads from 2016-2019, and some from 2020, but nothing from 2021. The information in the older threads is great, but some of the tires mentioned have been renamed or have been updated so what a tire is called today is not neccessarily the same time from just a few years back. For example, everyone seems to love the dBoots Backflips, and back several years ago, that was one tire. Today it's been segregated into Backflip LP, Backflip MT, and Backflip. The "Backflip" people talked about a few years ago is certainly not the "Backflip" that exists today. The current "Backflip" is for the 8S Kraton and there's no way people are "Running [Kraton 8S] backflips on all my cars".

Can we revisit tires now that names may have changed, new versions may have been released, updated vehicles have been released, etc? All brands are welcome in this thread, since many of those have changed in the last few years as well. For example, an old thread said that the Proline Badlands 38 are too small for the Kraton 6S, which could confuse people since the Proline Badlands MX38 are HUGE (and have a very similar name).

Let's just get some fresh information out there for people who are looking to get new tires now that they've burned the tread off of the rigs they got for Christmas!

Instead of just saying what you like, please also tell us what terrain you use your vehicle on, and what you do with your vehicle on that terrain. This will help others figure out if a tire is right for them. If you are still looking for tires that fit your style, by all means tell us what you don't like about what you have now, what your terrain and style is, and ask for suggestions.

Bash on everyone!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go first since I'm not happy with the Copperhead2 MT tires that come on the Kraton:

My Style:
Ripping around fields, dirt areas, and parking lots. Small air jumping that is typically more distance than height. I like going WOT up and down a parking lot or field, which I do just as often as jumping.

Current tires that I don't like:
I have the Copperhead2 MT tires that came on the Kraton. They are very soft, balloon a lot, can't grip pavement at all, and don't grip packed dirt that well (at least, not compared to the BadLands MX28 I have on my Typhon). The Copperhead2 MT tires do okay on grass, but it's nothing amazing. They are great for big air, since they are tall, wide, and soft so they act as pillows when you land and have enough mass to get the truck spinning while it's in the air.

What I'm looking for 1 (grass, dirt, mud):
I'm looking at getting some Backflips, and I think I want the Backflip LPs since I don't need a tall tire to cushion landings from big air, and the LP version should allow for better handling because they are smaller, thinner, and lighter than the CopperHead2 and Backflip MT tires. The Backflip LPs should grip really well on grass, gravel, dirt and even pavement - though pavement will tear them up quickly. Am I correct in my thinking that the backflip LPs are what I'm looking for, or would the Backflip MT's be better for my use case?

What I'm looking for 2 (road, hard packed dirt):
Since running backflips on pavement will tear them up quickly, I'm also looking for tires that will do well on pavement and maybe some packed dirt. That way if I know I'm going to be doing a parking lot session, I can swap tires. A few threads from years back said that the Minokawa tires were great for road, but there were several others saying that the tires were worthless because they didn't grip enough on pavement, dirt, or grass. The Minokawa tires come in two forms nowadays, the Minokawa MT and Minokawa LP. Can anyone speak to these or does anyone have a suggestion for a more pavement oriented tire that isn't worthless on dirt or short grass in a pinch?

Offroad (forest/military practice area from time tot time) mostly sand, both hard packed trails and loose sand areas, bit of grass and dirt as well. Never ran the stock tires, went straight for the Louise MFT ST-MCross. Like the way they look (important 😎) both thread pattern and rim, and the fact that they are belted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back