Big Rock 20T pinion in BRCC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I put the adjustable motor mount in and threw on a 20t pinion for shits and grins. Man does it cog terribly. I had the same experience when I tried a 20t in my Granite. I have to ease into the throttle otherwise it will stutter for several seconds before it accelerates. Anyone else running a 20t in a Granite or BRCC? Here are some nice before and after bah pictures:

BEFORE:
DSCF2630.JPG
DSCF2631.JPG

AFTER

DSCF2632.JPG
DSCF2633.JPG

Here is a video of the cogging. When I say "full throttle" it is at full throttle and there is a significant delay before full power is applied. I have a running video that I will post in a bit where you can see it happening as I bash. It's really annoying.

Here is the running video. You can see/hear the cogging I am talking about. Warning - I say a bad word near the beginning of the video. My bad.

I wonder how bad it would do with say a 17 or 18 vs the 20. Not that its necessary, but who is ever really happy with their current top end? What kind of speed are you getting out of the 20? I have an in-law with a 60mph traxxas something or other. I'd like to smoke him with the 3s granite this spring...

I wonder how bad it would do with say a 17 or 18 vs the 20. Not that its necessary, but who is ever really happy with their current top end? What kind of speed are you getting out of the 20? I have an in-law with a 60mph traxxas something or other. I'd like to smoke him with the 3s granite this spring...

The spreadsheet I use calculates it at 63 mph. I have a 17t in my Granite and it cogs but not as badly. I don't plan on keeping the 20 in the BRCC.

How’s the temps with the 20t ??

No clue. I haven't checked. It's been cold out. Nothing has caught on fire yet, so there's that ?

Is your punch set to 5?

Well I just got a 20t pinion in yesterday, that I am going to put in a Granite this weekend. I also got a 18 and wanted the HR mount, but it was out of stock everywhere. I will try the 20 with stock mesh holes and see if I get the same results.

Well I just got a 20t pinion in yesterday, that I am going to put in a Granite this weekend. I also got a 18 and wanted the HR mount, but it was out of stock everywhere. I will try the 20 with stock mesh holes and see if I get the same results.

When I tried the 20t in my Granite it was with the stock motor mount. Man it cogged badly. If I held the front of the truck to prevent it from moving forward and went full throttle it wouldn't even push against my hand very hard. It was just a stuttering mess and eventually the motor would lose all response.

FWIW, the 20t pinion and stock tires on the Granite should push it to over 65 mph.

I'm thinking of putting the 20T in my 3S Typhon. Now you're scaring me. I might be better off getting a different mount and going with the 18T

I'm thinking of putting the 20T in my 3S Typhon. Now you're scaring me. I might be better off getting a different mount and going with the 18T

Typhon has smaller wheels. A 20t in a Typhon would be like a 17/18t in a Granite. Definitely go for the 20t.

Hah, love when the wheel comes off and your reaction:LOL:. On that note, did you guys put lock tight on the outside 17mm nuts holding the wheel on? I did put lock tight on the hex screw holding the hub on just incase.

Hah, love when the wheel comes off and your reaction:LOL:. On that note, did you guys put lock tight on the outside 17mm nuts holding the wheel on? I did put lock tight on the hex screw holding the hub on just incase.

I wasn't happy because that same wheel came off the day before a I had just tightened it back on, lol.

I don't use loctite on those nuts because I tend to remove the wheels a lot. And I don't pit it on the small hex screw because that screw is easy to strip out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back