20t pinon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spn133- you will have to set the gear mesh by loosening the center differential clamps and rotating until proper mesh is achieved. Of course that's after selecting the closest fitting bolt pattern on the motor mount.

I tried installing the 20T pinion back in October to no avail. The gear shattered around the set screw when tightening..... I have the 17T in the truck now but still have an ESC and perhaps a clutch issue, so a top speed has not been achieved!

49mph stock 15T pinion

52mph stock 15T pinion and Big Joe II tires on Proline F-11 wheels, ballooning like crazy!
IMG_20161222_231503.jpg
IMG_20161222_231527.jpg

Is it just me or does the motor sound like its lacking a gear. Seems like it isn't spinning like it should, a bit low on the pitch. Dunno, could be because of the mic location forward of the motor.

What are you meaning by gear? A tooth in the pinion/spur or something totally different?

What are you meaning by gear? A tooth in the pinion/spur or something totally different?

Yeah after rereading that, it didn't sound too clear to me either. I was basically saying the motor didn't seem to be hitting its peak rpms by the low pitch sound from the video.

Yeah after rereading that, it didn't sound too clear to me either. I was basically saying the motor didn't seem to be hitting its peak rpms by the low pitch sound from the video.
Got ya!! Yeah, I'm thinking the same! I feel like it peaked way to early. Had decent acceleration to that point, but then seemed like it didn't have any more. I will figure it out. Worse case, I have a spare (For my Axial Yeti XL) 2200kw/Mamba Monster X combo that I will install. Haha!

Yes

20t pinon is a beast! Super fast! Blew 4 set of tiers. Haven't went full throttle yet. Car takes off like a plain
I think the Arrma pinions are pretty crude,not machined well and poor metal.I have used Robinsonracing hardened pinions and they are much quieter,mesh much better have a proper mod1 profile( arrmas aren't tapered at the end of the tooth).

Last edited:
I think the Arrma pinions are pretty crude,not machined well and poor metal.I have used Robinsonracing hardened pinions and they are much quieter,mess much better have a proper mod1 profile( arrmas aren't tapered at the end of the tooth).

I did it while tighten it down

I did it while tighten it down
That would be the poor metals they use for pinions,the one in your photo looks like it was cast with out enough heat.I wouldn't buy the Arrma pinions when the Robinson racing and other hardened pinions cost about the same.

That would be the poor metals they use for pinions,the one in your photo looks like it was cast with out enough heat.I wouldn't buy the Arrma pinions when the Robinson racing and other hardened pinions cost about the same.
Your right

I think the Arrma pinions are pretty crude,not machined well and poor metal.I have used Robinsonracing hardened pinions and they are much quieter,mess much better have a proper mod1 profile( arrmas aren't tapered at the end of the tooth).
I have been swapping pinions to Robinson Racing too! Haven't had one damage yet, but my friend broke a tooth on his Arrma Outcast pinion. Definitely a quality difference. The 20 tooth I installed on my Fazon was Robinson Racing and secured by one screw, which has been problem free. Other than tires coming unglued, there hasn't been any issues within the drivetrain.

I have been swapping pinions to Robinson Racing too! Haven't had one damage yet, but my friend broke a tooth on his Arrma Outcast pinion. Definitely a quality difference. The 20 tooth I installed on my Fazon was Robinson Racing and secured by one screw, which has been problem free. Other than tires coming unglued, there hasn't been any issues within the drivetrain.
I went threw 4 sets of tires but I order GRP s3 they well hold up. If not I'll get xo1 wheels

I went threw 4 sets of tires but I order GRP s3 they well hold up. If not I'll get xo1 wheels
I used SRC Terrain Crushers the last time I drove it (above YouTube video) and obviously had no ballooning or ungluing, but the lack of ballooning led to a lower top speed than anticipated! Haha! I would definitely suggest these tires for guaranteed no ballooning/ungluing. The 2 drawbacks is the off-road drivability do to no flex in the sidewalls and also the lack of ballooning limiting top speed runs.

So I ran the car and did a video with a GoPro 5 for the GPS speed and other telemetry..... All to be disappointed!! Only hit 55. Not sure if it's a settings thing or because the tires didn't balloon at all. Fazon with 20 tooth pinion and SMC belted tires. Although the tires are stock diameter the lack of ballooning may account for the lack of top speed. I will try with the stock tires soon and also with the Proline Trenchers that I use on my Axial Yeti XL.

Did u run it with the stock tires yet

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back