228RC's Kraton Makeover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

228RC

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
What's up guys? I am new here, and thought I would post up so I can document my progress with my Kraton build. Recently picked up a Kraton 6s v4 that the seller described as "good condition" and only having been run twice. I got it in hand and I must say, those have to have been the two hardest runs an RC has ever seen. She is extremely dirty right out of the box, but I got a pretty good deal, so I won't complain. Here are the sellers pictures:

received_252561159295529.jpeg
received_328768014758527.jpeg
received_1468088763399642.jpeg
received_3226891197372258.jpeg

I got her in hand and almost everything was expected except the battery box was missing the long strap and the cap so the batteries were flying everywhere on the test run. Beyond that while I was taking it for the test run, the front bumper wore through and snapped the bolt (I think it arrived with a bolt already snapped so only one was left to snap) causing the bumper to fall off which left the A-arm pins unsecured, so I called it a day. I already had some parts on the way, so I added some more. Here is the list:

RPM front and rear A-arms with mudguards
RPM front bumper and skid plate
RPM rear skid plate
RPM wing mount
Hot Racing stainless steel skid plates
Hot Racing front and rear chassis brace
Hot Racing servo mount
Fast Eddy's bearing kit
Arrma bumper set, battery tray, and ball cup set (for the stock bumper I need to run the RPM front bumper)
Full stock screw kit from Jenny's RC
SMC 8000 mAh battery
Futaba 3PV with R203GF receiver

On the test run I noticed the Kraton intermittently not going into reverse, so I have already contacted Horizon about the issue and am going to send the remote in once the Futaba comes in. Last night I decided that it was time to break the Kraton down in preparation for cleaning this weekend. So I started by removing the battery box and worked my way to the receiver since they are connected:

5.jpeg

Next I took off the rear wing, then moved on to the tower-to-tower brace, and finally I removed the center support tower:

6.jpeg

Next out was the motor and ESC:

7.jpeg

And finally the servo:

8.jpeg

This is the state I plan to wash her in. I am planning on using a pressure washer on her and then an air compressor to dry her out nicely. I am interested in any feedback and if there are other things you guys would remove. I bought a small mesh bag so that I can wash the parts in the dishwasher. Thanks for stopping by!

If you can return the braces and replace them with m2c racing parts
Just use a hose and a brush to wash no soap the pressure washer can cut through parts.
Same no dishwasher just water and a tooth brush
Don’t soak the tires but do vent them on the thread if you plan on running in water.

If you can return the braces and replace them with m2c racing parts
Just use a hose and a brush to wash no soap the pressure washer can cut through parts.
Same no dishwasher just water and a tooth brush
Don’t soak the tires but do vent them on the thread if you plan on running in water.
I am going to go ahead and run the HR braces, I am not sure I want to keep the Kraton yet. I have some tubs, I could soak the parts and then clean them with toothbrushes, I will go that route instead, thanks! I don't plan on running in water, so I am going to skip venting the tires for now. Thanks for the advice!

I don't plan on running in water, so I am going to skip venting the tires for now. Thanks for the advice!

As a FYI, Venting is not just for water. If you run in loose dirt, that hole in the rim will suck in a pretty good amount of dirt over several runs...

As a FYI, Venting is not just for water. If you run in loose dirt, that hole in the rim will suck in a pretty good amount of dirt over several runs...
So plug the hole? I pick up a lot of fine dirt almost like sand where I run.

Today I broke the truck down a bit further and every time I do I find something missing, loose, or broken. I had to order the suspension mount set because the rear part that is keyed to the chassis behind the bumper is broken and then I had to order the kit that has the shock balls in it because I am missing a lower and the uppers seem loose, so I am interested to see how new ones for.

I am going to get a lot of the parts cleaned ultrasonically tomorrow and I have the frame broken down to where I feel comfortable using a weak pressure washer to clean what's left on it. I tried with a toothbrush but there are too many hard to reach spots and I don't feel like breaking it down any further.

My Futaba 3PV should be here this week, but more than likely I will still be waiting on parts for reassembly.

So I started putting her back together today. Hot Racing braces and servo saver installed. Waiting on the upper and lower balls for the shocks, Futaba receiver, and a rear bumper piece that's broken. Should all be here by this weekend and buttoned up.

IMG_20200609_220749452.jpg

Got my Futaba 3PV in today and got it all setup for the Kraton. Waiting on the upper and lower pivot balls for the shocks to come in tomorrow so I can get the suspension back on and take her for her first fully functional run.

103504921_3901411759933512_7262141322591492275_n.jpg

So today I got the M2C Racing shock stand offs in as well as pivot balls for the shocks and got her buttoned back up. Did a 5 minute shakedown run and everything went nicely. Came back out to run it again and immediately slowly went into a ditch with some standing water. Tried to drive out and it kept sliding back down into the water. Finally got her out and the steering was weak (stock servo). Got her out of the water and ran her into a tree and bent a shock tower! So today was fun. I ended up ordering the M2C front shock tower and a Reefs RC servo that should be overkill but do the job nicely.

Took the Kraton out yesterday and it doesn't appear that the water has done any damage. The servo is back to working properly and all seems well. I got about five minutes of bashing in before I heard a weird noise. Pulled the body and the pinion gear had moved and chewed up a little bit of the motor mount. Pulled it off and applied a nice dab of Loctite. Also ordered a pinion gear set in case the grub screw is just worn out.

Got a 6s SMC battery a while back for the Kraton. I went to plug it into the charger that the LHS sold me and realized the charger only supports up to 3s or 4s. So I went onto SMC and ordered the Hota D6+ charger. I have heard good things about it, so I am excited to try it out. That and my M2C front tower will be in today.

Took the Kraton out yesterday and it doesn't appear that the water has done any damage. The servo is back to working properly and all seems well. I got about five minutes of bashing in before I heard a weird noise. Pulled the body and the pinion gear had moved and chewed up a little bit of the motor mount. Pulled it off and applied a nice dab of Loctite. Also ordered a pinion gear set in case the grub screw is just worn out.

Got a 6s SMC battery a while back for the Kraton. I went to plug it into the charger that the LHS sold me and realized the charger only supports up to 3s or 4s. So I went onto SMC and ordered the Hota D6+ charger. I have heard good things about it, so I am excited to try it out. That and my M2C front tower will be in today.
What pinion set did you order? I am new to the RC world and purchased a Kraton 6s a few weeks ago. I have already had to replace pinion gears 2x. I am sure it is something I am doing. Thx

What pinion set did you order? I am new to the RC world and purchased a Kraton 6s a few weeks ago. I have already had to replace pinion gears 2x. I am sure it is something I am doing. Thx
It was a Hobbypark set I found on Amazon, nothing special, just what I came across on Amazon for cheap.

Did you replace Spur gear also?
I have not bought a spur gear as the actual teeth of my gears are fine, I was thinking the grub screw or the threads of the hole for the grub screw may be worn out, so I bought new pinion gears just in case.

I sent my STX2 transmitter in for service after having issues with reverse. Cost me $20 to ship, but it looks like they are going to send me an STX3 to replace it.

I also bought a Reefs RC servo. When I went to install it I noticed that the screw holes were a bit smaller than the stock Arrma servo, so I found the right drill bit and enlarged them. Now I am waiting for servo grommets to come in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back