Kraton 2nd hand fun (diff problems)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xr64d

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys ,
So i spent most of yesterday reading forum posts, lots of great reads on here and awesome information, thanks guys :)
I brought a 2nd hand V2 Kraton off ebay from a guy who seemed to know a thing or 2 about RC's , had a heap of expensive crawlers and an assortment of other RC's. Anyways i only saved about $200 off brand new price, needless to say i'm an RC noob and am convinced he saw me coming. Not to worries, thats life.

Ok so on my first run (4s) i was a bit disappointed with the speed and it sounded very grindy so after about 2 mins i decided to head home n have an investigate. had a play with the wheels n shafts n decided the rear diff was slipping so i pulled it down and this is what i found (see images)

is this a common thing? and any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• received_10154910166911456.jpeg
    received_10154910166911456.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 172
  • received_10154910166921456.jpeg
    received_10154910166921456.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 162
Are you sure the spur and pinion mesh were set properly??? That is the first thing I would check when hearing grinding noises. As far as your pictures it is hard to see what you're showing there. Are teeth missing? Are they just worn down? If missing then replace them and if you want to make sure they last a long time shim your diffs. If they are just worn down well then replace them and shim them as well. It happens these things wear out over time.

Are you sure the spur and pinion mesh were set properly??? That is the first thing I would check when hearing grinding noises. As far as your pictures it is hard to see what you're showing there. Are teeth missing? Are they just worn down? If missing then replace them and if you want to make sure they last a long time shim your diffs. If they are just worn down well then replace them and shim them as well. It happens these things wear out over time.
It looks like the pinion is hitting the diff case to me. It looks like the PO shimmed it in too far.

No teeth missing on either gear but the teeth on the pinnion are definitely worn , no rub marks on the diff casing except on the chassis. The spur gear dose'nt look too bad. Did'nt find any shims on the pinnion, only shim was on the left hand side of the diff (from what i've read on the forums they standard on v2 ?)
I ordered another pinnion gear and a shim kit for the diffs (mug-e0206 hope thats the right kit :/ ) and a bearing kit
Screenshot_20171120-192213.png

Attachments

• 20171120_190712.jpg
    20171120_190712.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 82
Yeah, that diff pinion looks toast. If he had shims, and it started clicking on you within 1-3 packs, then I bet he didn't shim it till after it started clicking - then overshimmed in hopes it would last long enough for you to call it your problem. Either way, new pinion, may want a new ring gear too.

Ebay chop shops can be your friend - whole diff + case, for about $40. Sometimes you can find a chop shop selling 2 for $60.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-Krat...108977?hash=item1c983b52f1:g:XAYAAOSwLiJZ1FcM

Yeah no doubt knowing my luck lol.
Thanks guys for ur thoughts and advice :)
I do wish ebay Australia had some of thoughs types of sellers :/ ahh well, gotta work with what ya got , think ill pull the whole car down n have a good clean whilstvi waight my bits :)

Shim Them!
2 on each side, apply grease as well , also change your fluid to 100k while you are at it.
and change them to fast eddy bearings, usually the bearing goes on the diff or sand can get into them, apply wd40 as well
and it will run a lot quieter!

here is my thread on the shim and video how quiet it was after

https://arrmaforum.com/threads/building-my-kraton.4747/page-10

Please, for the love of Mike, DON'T PUT WD40 ON BEARINGS!!!

Well, you can use it for cleaning, but you MUST follow up with some real bearing oil after the WD40.
Yeah it dries things out.... Which is bad. It is good for cleaning out things like bearings and moving parts but then you need to follow it up with an actual lubricant.

That pinion issue can also happen if any threads in the gearbox case plastic are worn out. If you cant screw the box lid tight and snug then you must replace it or it will happen again.

Ok thanks, i didn't notice anything loose when disassembling but i'll keep that in mind when im putting it back together :)

Hey guys ,
So i spent most of yesterday reading forum posts, lots of great reads on here and awesome information, thanks guys :)
I brought a 2nd hand V2 Kraton off ebay from a guy who seemed to know a thing or 2 about RC's , had a heap of expensive crawlers and an assortment of other RC's. Anyways i only saved about $200 off brand new price, needless to say i'm an RC noob and am convinced he saw me coming. Not to worries, thats life.

Ok so on my first run (4s) i was a bit disappointed with the speed and it sounded very grindy so after about 2 mins i decided to head home n have an investigate. had a play with the wheels n shafts n decided the rear diff was slipping so i pulled it down and this is what i found (see images)

is this a common thing? and any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :)
Yup I've had multiple go on me. Once I replaced the gears and shimmed them properly its been smooth sailing!!!

No teeth missing on either gear but the teeth on the pinnion are definitely worn , no rub marks on the diff casing except on the chassis. The spur gear dose'nt look too bad. Did'nt find any shims on the pinnion, only shim was on the left hand side of the diff (from what i've read on the forums they standard on v2 ?)
I ordered another pinnion gear and a shim kit for the diffs (mug-e0206 hope thats the right kit :/ ) and a bearing kitView attachment 13543
Will 1 pack of these shim all of my diffs by chance?

Yes sir should take care of all 3. I just beat the snot out of my kraton on 6s in 28 degree Fahrenheit weather jumping huge stone piles and its going home in one piece just dirty as hell. Once you shim those diffs its close to indestructible. Not to mention my center diff hasn't been shimmed yet because I'm lazy!!!

Yes sir should take care of all 3. I just beat the snot out of my kraton on 6s in 28 degree Fahrenheit weather jumping huge stone piles and its going home in one piece just dirty as hell. Once you shim those diffs its close to indestructible. Not to mention my center diff hasn't been shimmed yet because I'm lazy!!!
I can’t find the right shims to do mine I haven’t ran mine on 6s yet just 4s only have like 4 runs on it. But do you know what part numbers I need for the shims and happy thanksgiving bash on !!!

That pinion issue can also happen if any threads in the gearbox case plastic are worn out. If you cant screw the box lid tight and snug then you must replace it or it will happen again.
Thanks for the information about lose threads on the gearbox case. I’ve went through 3 diffs pretty fast and I suspected it was because of the lose threads on the gear box. I suspected it was the problem but was to cheap to invest in a new gear box to be sure. What about the aluminum gear box? Will they prevent stripping? How can I pre ent stripping g in the future.

I pulled down the whole car, every last screw, had a good clean , got a v2 bearing kit from plaig bearings (ebay, aussie company) was suprised the kit included bearings upgrade for the steering rack :)
Ive got the mugen shims just waiting for the diff oils to arive, seems to be enough in there.
I replaced that worn out pinion gear n havnt had a problem as yet ( 6 packs so far )
i wasnt really happy with the way some of the screws went back into some of the plastics but i guess that's plastic for ya.

I got a little too close to the lake today and kinda submerged the Kraton .... reversed out and everything seemed to be working ok so went for a long run up n down to dry it out a bit, steering started playing up a lil so i pulled the lipo n pulled ouy all the electricals to make sure nothing was wet.
A few hrs latter, seemed to be ok so put all back and went for a run . About 1 min in, the kraton lost steering and went full throttle for about 10 secs somehow missing all the trees lol .
Anyways pretty sure the servo has burnt out. Ahhwell will have a good read through the forum's, pretty sure i read somthing about recommended servo's haha will def be looking at a waterproof one.

Oh, and all the diff casings seemed ok thread wise but wouldnt mind upgrading to some alloy ones eventually:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back