Senton 2WD running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
Has anyone taken the driveshaft out of a Senton, and ran it long term in strictly 2WD? My fury is becoming impossible to find parts for, and I have a Losi 22S, but I would really like another Arrma 2WD SCT, but, since they don't make one, I thought about making my own. I tried it with my Granite 4x4, but, it doesn't work as well as what I am looking for (rolls too easy, harder to control, especially with the driveshaft out), so, I thought, why not a Senton, but I'm not sure it will actually work, so I thought I would ask here. I know I could get an ECX, but by the time I upgrade that to brushless capable, I'm past the price of a new Senton 3S. It's why I bought the Losi in the first place, because it was cheaper than an ECX build.

My Fury is an original, with the metal diff that has the washer coning issue. I put the Raider composite diff in it, but it didn't hold up long against my brushless setup, and parts are non-existent for the metal diff, so I figured I would just find something newer that has better parts availability.
Traxxas still makes a 2wd brushless Slash, at the risk of inflaming the masses, lol

https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/slash-vxl-tsm
I won't own a Traxxas, for many reasons. If ecx would make a brushless Ruckus or Torment, with AVC, that would be the perfect set up for me, but they don't, and upgrades, including metal diff, and better axles, even buying the truck used, makes buying new a better idea.

I didn't realize ECX dropped the Brushless Torment. :( I need to get mine out and give it a second life...

My other recommendation would have been the Losi RTR SCT, but sounds like you have that one already so...

I didn't realize ECX dropped the Brushless Torment. :( I need to get mine out and give it a second life...

My other recommendation would have been the Losi RTR SCT, but sounds like you have that one already so...
I have the Losi K&N 22S, and, since I am a bit odd, I like having trucks from different companies, but since I'm only looking for a basher, an Associated wouldn't make any sense, and the only 2WD SCT's I have found are the Torment, Slash (which I won't own), the 22S (I really don't want 2 SCT's from the same company, I'm odd like that), and the Associated ProSC10 (which is more of a race truck and less of a basher), hence my idea of pulling the driveshaft from a Senton (making it switchable from 2WD to 4WD easily is also an appealing idea), but, I can't afford to do that only to have it keep breaking stuff.

As far as your initial question goes, it looks possible and like some have tried a variety of ways. The forum post I attached shows a few ways people tried on some other rigs. I.e. removing center shaft, removing the front shafts, locking the center dif (if equipped). The only complaints were the handling characteristics changing.

Personally, I’d look at a platform that runs both 2 and 4wd setups to see if the dif internals are different as that would be the most likely point of failure. Removing 50% of the work from the system puts more load on what’s left and reasonably would increase the wear. But I’m just spit balling here until someone else offers first hand knowledge or experience.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9040292-can-i-switch-from-4wd-to-2wd

As far as your initial question goes, it looks possible and like some have tried a variety of ways. The forum post I attached shows a few ways people tried on some other rigs. I.e. removing center shaft, removing the front shafts, locking the center dif (if equipped). The only complaints were the handling characteristics changing.

Personally, I’d look at a platform that runs both 2 and 4wd setups to see if the dif internals are different as that would be the most likely point of failure. Removing 50% of the work from the system puts more load on what’s left and reasonably would increase the wear. But I’m just spit balling here until someone else offers first hand knowledge or experience.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9040292-can-i-switch-from-4wd-to-2wd
I have tried it with several different vehicles (DHK Hobby Hunter (shredded center diff, twice), Arrma Granite (very hard to handle, easily either did wheelies or flipped cornering, but it does that anyway and a lot of rear wheel spin made it nearly uncontrollable), Redcat Blackout (Broke a bunch of different parts), Losi Tenacity (center diff locked and then blew apart)), and it didn't work on any of them that i have tried, except a DHK Hobby Wolf 2, but that is too short to be used as an SCT.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back