Limitless 2wd Speed runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
For speed running I'm not sure what 4wd does for us. Maybe it would help a bit with braking?

Has anyone tried converting to 2wd?

In theory it would be less friction and less rotating parts, which means it's more efficient and it "should" go faster. But also moving to a hard wheel would be less rolling friction.

Just a crazy thought.

For speed running I'm not sure what 4wd does for us. Maybe it would help a bit with braking?

In theory it would be less friction and less rotating parts, which means it's more efficient and it "should" go faster. But also moving to a hard wheel would be less rolling friction.

Just a crazy thought.
Like your thinking but without the front, these make too much power and you will fish tail out even at speed. Don’t do it unless you plan on a huge parking lot with no curbs or have deep pockets.

Edit: braking is 80-90% front, you throw out the hooks in only rear brakes, you’ll have a nice spinning pinwheel limitless.

Just a crazy thought.
I think @K-BASH was making a few 2wd passes a couple weeks ago w/ one of his crazy swb typhons

When I began years ago I had a 2wd slash that I tried to speed run.

Have you ever seen drift cars run and how they pull the super-sized parking/emergency brake handle to lock up the back wheels? That's about what braking looks like on a speed runner that is 2wd

Also remember that you are trying to put down an insane power-to-weight ratio and accelerate zero to crazy speeds in about 7 seconds.
AWD / 4WD is the way.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

2wd speed running can be done, but it comes with some massive challenges. IF you could employ air flap brakes of some sort controlled by a servo that would greatly improve the majority of the problem.

When I began years ago I had a 2wd slash that I tried to speed run.
I've got a 4wd slash and it's no better. It just likes backflips. A little bit of that is the body. I swapped it for a 1/10th scale F150 (truck) body and it's a whole lot better. But I was watching a video the other day (might have been @K-BASH 4S Vendetta setup?) and the premise was you have to lock out the rear shocks otherwise it will do back flips. So I thought about trying that with my Slash. . . . But others that have tried to speed run the Slash still get back flips, so who knows.

Where I run I have limited space, or at least it feels limited to me, and was thinking about a parachute to slow it down. It could also be a fail safe, if all goes wrong pull the rip cord. It would make driving it back a bit more complex because the chute would be dragging the car or dragging on the ground the entire time.

Like your thinking but without the front, these make too much power and you will fish tail out even at speed. Don’t do it unless you plan on a huge parking lot with no curbs or have deep pockets.
That makes sense. All of the cars that have low 0-60 times are AWD.

I’ve done it…. FWD… many times

When I was throwing rear center bones. I decided to run FWD. hardly any grip on GRP and the tires definitely wear a lot quicker

Edit. Sorry for the background noise…
That makes sense because the front tires are doing twice the work, just like on a full size FWD car. You probably get a bunch of torque steer too? Maybe locking the front diff would help with the torque steer but will increase tire wear.

I've got a 4wd slash and it's no better. It just likes backflips. A little bit of that is the body. I swapped it for a 1/10th scale F150 (truck) body and it's a whole lot better. But I was watching a video the other day (might have been @K-BASH 4S Vendetta setup?) and the premise was you have to lock out the rear shocks otherwise it will do back flips. So I thought about trying that with my Slash. . . . But others that have tried to speed run the Slash still get back flips, so who knows.

Where I run I have limited space, or at least it feels limited to me, and was thinking about a parachute to slow it down. It could also be a fail safe, if all goes wrong pull the rip cord. It would make driving it back a bit more complex because the chute would be dragging the car or dragging on the ground the entire time.
I think the bigger issue with a parachute that is intended as a fail safe will need a more complex setup than just a mechanism that releases the chute out the back. I've seen others try to do something like this and the deployment speed of a chute that just kind of falls out the back is sure to induce some seriously clenched sphincters as you wait and pray for it to catch the air to save your car from certain doom. I think dragging the parachute on the way back would be the least of your worries in such a scenario as you'd almost certainly be working the cramp out of your chocolate starfish. In such a case I think you'd be better off installing the handbrake module to lock up all four wheels and let the chips falls where they may.

But maybe you've already considered this and have a more elaborate rapid deployment mechanism in mind. :)

My super secret plan that i'm not telling anyone, is that when i start into 2wd speed running, i'm going to grab a fireteam disc brake, tie it into the throttle channel and find a way to slap that on the front differential. Should require some adjustments, but then you should be able to reliably brake from higher speeds while still having the rwd speed attempt.

In theory, with fewer drivetrain losses, you should have a higher top speed with rwd, and it would come into affect when the car is at higher speeds. You'd be sending more power to the rear wheels where it's needed.

My super secret plan that i'm not telling anyone, is that when i start into 2wd speed running, i'm going to grab a fireteam disc brake, tie it into the throttle channel and find a way to slap that on the front differential. Should require some adjustments, but then you should be able to reliably brake from higher speeds while still having the rwd speed attempt.

In theory, with fewer drivetrain losses, you should have a higher top speed with rwd, and it would come into affect when the car is at higher speeds. You'd be sending more power to the rear wheels where it's needed.
I just watched a video the other day of a guy who converted his Infraction into a RWD burnout-drift-basher where he made a custom motor mount for a direct connection inline to the rear diff via a 38mm dog bone and fitted the Infraction handbrake module to where the front drive shaft normally resides. He had the handbrake set up for 3 positions - off, half engaged and fully engaged while being able to give the rear tires the business. Looked like a lot of fun.

This plus something on the front. With a bias towards the front or the car will flip.
Ah, i remember talking about making something like this on a thread a while back. Looks like someone beat me to the idea?
I just watched a video the other day of a guy who converted his Infraction into a RWD burnout-drift-basher where he made a custom motor mount for a direct connection inline to the rear diff via a 38mm dog bone and fitted the Infraction handbrake module to where the front drive shaft normally resides. He had the handbrake set up for 3 positions - off, half engaged and fully engaged while being able to give the rear tires the business. Looked like a lot of fun.
Perhaps I don't understand how the fireteam brake works, but could it be progressive braking? Like smooth application of braking through the throttle channel?

Ah, i remember talking about making something like this on a thread a while back. Looks like someone beat me to the idea?

Perhaps I don't understand how the fireteam brake works, but could it be progressive braking? Like smooth application of braking through the throttle channel?
I'm sure you could program it to function like that, assuming your Tx supports that sort of functionality. The only thing that would take some working out is: since the handbrake is a disc brake that gets clamped in a caliper, the amount of travel from barely engaged to fully locked isn't very far. So, if I'm understanding your intention correctly, I'd suspect that that a sort of Expo function would be necessary to slow the brake servo movement down as it reaches and goes beyond the point of engagement...if that makes sense.

I'm sure you could program it to function like that, assuming your Tx supports that sort of functionality. The only thing that would take some working out is: since the handbrake is a disc brake that gets clamped in a caliper, the amount of travel from barely engaged to fully locked isn't very far. So, if I'm understanding your intention correctly, I'd suspect that that a sort of Expo function would be necessary to slow the brake servo movement down as it reaches and goes beyond the point of engagement...if that makes sense.
I was just thinking of doing a split off of the throttle channel to try and keep things as intuitive as possible for driving. The only issue i had considered so far being trying to figure out the resting/neutral position for the brakes since it's usually a "on/off" servo. If you have an additional "progressive" channel on your rx/tx, that would be much easier to fine tune braking, and set expos or d/r as needed like you mentioned. You'd just have to remember not to forget to use the extra buttons on your tx for braking :ROFLMAO:

I think the bigger issue with a parachute that is intended as a fail safe will need a more complex setup than just a mechanism that releases the chute out the back. I've seen others try to do something like this and the deployment speed of a chute that just kind of falls out the back is sure to induce some seriously clenched sphincters as you wait and pray for it to catch the air to save your car from certain doom. I think dragging the parachute on the way back would be the least of your worries in such a scenario as you'd almost certainly be working the cramp out of your chocolate starfish. In such a case I think you'd be better off installing the handbrake module to lock up all four wheels and let the chips falls where they may.

But maybe you've already considered this and have a more elaborate rapid deployment mechanism in mind. :)
Parachute effect is fun though. Only for the first few rounds 😂 “end” of joke…

Nothing yet, but I have been thinking on it for the project aero max. Instead of fixed position front wings to have them dynamic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back