3.8" Pro-line tires that don't balloon are likely coming soon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevin7

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I submitted a support ticket to pro-line a few days ago. I want to share the ticket and the response I got from pro-line:

Morgan Yarbrough
User · 6 days ago
I couldn't find any way to contact you guys other than this method so I'm using this for a recommendation (I don't have a problem). I love pro-line tires and have bought quite a few sets of them, but all of the monster truck tires I have bought (2.8" Badlands MX28, 2.8" Trenchers, 3.8" Badlands MX38) have major problems with ballooning at speeds in excess of ~30 MPH (I commonly drive ~50 MPH). On The Arrma Forums many people discuss these issues and its so significant that it forces people to wrap fishing line (or similar line) around their tires and glue it on or unmount the tires, tape the inside, then remount (and often the tape comes undone over time). Many other people won't buy the 3.8" pro-line monster truck tires (for their 8th scale Arrma cars) because of ballooning issues. This is a common issue from many tire manufacturers and for some reason most manufacturers don't seem to care about it when it comes to monster truck tires. The majority of 10th scale and 8th scale monster trucks sold these days easily reach 45 MPH out of the box which causes massive ballooning and major instability with any pro-line monster truck tire. I know making the tires belted is one way to solve the problem (likely an expensive way), but there are also other ways, such as the 2.8" pro-line prime tires, which only have minor ballooning even at 60 MPH (I own a set and have tested this). The prime tires description on your web site reads:

The Prime 2.8" tire comes with Pro-Line's 2.8" Closed Cell Foam and a specifically designed tire carcass shape that prevents extreme tire expansion for high speed runs!

You guys know how to make tires that do not balloon, so please apply this to your monster truck tires. The stock tires on my Arrma Outcast (dBoots Backflips) are a clone of your Badlands tire (but are larger) and I love them because they offer similar performance to your badlands tire and they contain rubber ribs on the inside of the tire that makes them easily handle 50 MPH with very minor ballooning (picture of the ribs on the tire below). I like your Badlands MX series tires more than the normal Badlands tires (and the dBoots Backflips) because their traction is on par but they have much larger knobs that make them last far longer on the street (and they are larger than normal badlands, similar size to the Backflips), however I won't be buying anymore of your 3.8" off-road tires because the dBoots Backflips are far superior when driving over ~30 MPH due to their lack of ballooning. I can't recommend your monster truck tires for any 8th scale off-road car because the ballooning is terrible and the dBoots backflips don't have this issue and are almost as good in the other areas that count (and they are cheaper). There are many threads about this on the Arrma forum where people discuss how they prefer the stock Outcast backflip tires over any of your 3.8" off road tires. Many people despise the design of the wheels that come with the dBoots backflip tires (myself included) and want tires that will last longer on the road, but its just not worth getting tires that make your car handle like a boat when driving over ~30 MPH (because they turn into pizza cutters).

There is currently a huge need for off-road tires in 2.8" and 3.8" sizes that do not have ballooning issues and I know you guys are capable of meeting that need, please consider solving this problem and giving all RC fans an easy choice for buying new off road tires for the fast modern cars we are buying.

47a6d8c0049a42bb6df072a36bbfe817b3e4ac96

--------------
Vance Lund Staff · 7 hours ago
Hey Morgan,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with so much detail. Everyone on the development team here has read your comments. We agree with you completely and we feel a sense of urgency to develop tires to meet the high-speed demands of newer MT’s. I can’t spill any specifics, but we are working on several new tires and/or compounds in the 2.8 and 3.8 sizes that will perform better for your application. I hope you can write in again in a few months to say that our new tires are the best! Until then, keep an eye out for our new releases.

Thanks again,

Vance Lund
Product Innovation

Last edited:
Cool Mate! We all should be grateful, for your opinion, intervention and work!
Thank you, for contributing for the performance of tires!
Now let's hope, they do something about it... and quick.

If that is actually true I will be definitely happy camper. I love proline tires and would love some that don’t balloon like crazy.

You sir are awesome. Maybe more people should be writing this as to show the companies that it is a real need for these kind of cars. Not just the Arrma but others too.

If that is actually true I will be definitely happy camper. I love proline tires and would love some that don’t balloon like crazy.

You sir are awesome. Maybe more people should be writing this as to show the companies that it is a real need for these kind of cars. Not just the Arrma but others too.

and i did! last year my friend!
at least to do like the proline PROLOCK MX4.3....convert that to 3.8?!

I'm happy that they are making changes finally on one part. About 3-4 weeks ago I emailed them asking them about:
1. Making their new Bash Armour bodies (looks to be a white version of the Russian unbreakable body) for 1/8 monster trucks.
2. Making Pro-Loc wheels and tires for 1/8 monster trucks.
3. Making changes to cut down on ballooning of their tires for 6s use.

I got an email back the next day saying that they are not currently working on any of those, nor do they have any plans to do them at this time. I guess one of the things that I wanted are happening. Now hopefully the other two will happen in the future.

It would be nice to see them make some vtr series that are some what aggressive like the Badlands. I like the way the excons are made but would like to see them in the 4.0 wheels

No, not yet. I've been checking the ProLine site periodically but they've not realeased new 3.8 tire designs as of late.

No, not yet. I've been checking the ProLine site periodically but they've not realeased new 3.8 tire designs as of late.
I did notice that they discontinued half their lineup of tires though.

It’d be nice if the prices were inline with the Arrma tires too...
The prices are pretty much inline with Arrma tires. The Backflips are $39.99 a pair and you can't use discount coupons while the Proline Badlands are $48.76 a pair but you can use coupons. So if you buy two sets and a pack of screws you can get the Prolines for $85 with free shippng from Tower while the Backflips are $80 plus shipping.

I do know that you can get Backflips cheaper from kit breakers, but I'm comparing retail to retail as that's the only way that you can get Prolines.

Last edited:
I hope the new series are not too heavy. Heavy wheel/tire combos are extra harsh on suspension, bearings, and servos.
The XMaxx guys found that the Pro-Line MX43s were significantly heavier than original tires. (being bead lock style that is not too surprising)
My hope would be to remain a glue on tire to keep weight down and add some minimal steel or kevlar belts to reduce ballooning.

So far I am 100% content with the Kraton V4 tires for general use. Enough mass to do flips, cush enough for softer landings, low ballooning capable of 65 mph no problem, and high traction off road.

Last edited:
Definitely a step in the right direction. My trenchers balloon pretty bad.

I hope the new series are not too heavy. Heavy wheel/tire combos are extra harsh on suspension, bearings, and servos.
^^^This, I got Trencher 3.8's on F11's because I loved the look, but the ballooning, and the weight keeps me from running them in the warmer months. I could possibly gear down and run them, or possibly strap them, but after my friend ruined his freshly painted Kraton body while hitting the gas in midair with the wheels turned I've been holding back. With that being said, I am in love with my Shockwave 3.8's, I just got my third set of them, but those unfortunately are out of production. I hope Pro-line comes up with a lighter weight replacement tire soon..

all I can say is it's about dang time
tires have been the only thing holding me back for a long time from braided fishing line to cables lol I eventually gave up trying ... if they actually work I'll buy a couple sets

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back