3.8 Wheel Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Here we go again @suchtragedy ...

3.8 Wheel.png

3.8 Wheel (1).png

3.8 Wheel (2).png

Attachments

• 3.8 Wheel.stl.zip
    131.8 KB · Views: 84
Rookie 3D question here....

I'm guessing these are "no machining required" as everything is printed in to them?

How tight can you hold the tolerances? How concentric are they?

Inquiring minds want to know!
There is sometimes very light post work needed, depending on the model and if supports are needed. What I'm showing here in these renderings isn't necessarily what get's output by the printer. Support material is usually involved and if done right, it breaks away with minimal effort. There are times when you will get some stringing and have to trim little hairs. You're in Colorado, so you probably know about trimming ???✂

:wacky:

Yep, know a bit about it!

Since I have the software installed on this PC, I'm going to grab your stl file and look at it. Just like when I was learning to code eons ago, I always liked to read other people's code. to see how they did things.

And I'm willing to bet that making some rims would be well within the capabilities of those ~$400 printers you guys were discussing?

tolerances are great, like within thous. if the printer and slicer settings are spot on.. its always easy to go back into a design and change areas of the model if something is way out.. as for concentric.. depends on how many triangles your mesh has.. the more triangles the more round an object is.. low poly objects (less triangles) will print small flats in a circle to create a circle.. hard to explain..

Since I have the software installed on this PC, I'm going to grab your stl file and look at it. Just like when I was learning to code eons ago, I always liked to read other people's code. to see how they did things.

And I'm willing to bet that making some rims would be well within the capabilities of those ~$400 printers you guys were discussing?

yes.. thingiverse is loaded with rims.. ?

Here is a sneak peak at Cura with this wheel design

I have both Slic3r and Ultimaker Cura on this PC. Slic3r will let me manipulate the image, flip it around, etc, but Cura won't do that, or doesn't do that.

Both Slic3r and Cura will feed a printer, as they have setup option for detailing your printer.

Rookie question #2....what software did you use to create the drawing? IIRC, any generic 3D, CAD, etc program that outputs a file format your "slicer" program can read (like a "dwg" file) is suitable?

And I'm also guessing that the stl file strips off the human readable dimensions used when creating the drawing, and has the machine readable stuff encoded into it.

I'm really going to have to hit the local Barnes & Noble and get some books. There's a limit to what I can learn watching YouTube videos.....

I have both Slic3r and Ultimaker Cura on this PC. Slic3r will let me manipulate the image, flip it around, etc, but Cura won't do that, or doesn't do that.

Both Slic3r and Cura will feed a printer, as they have setup option for detailing your printer.

Rookie question #2....what software did you use to create the drawing? IIRC, any generic 3D, CAD, etc program that outputs a file format your "slicer" program can read (like a "dwg" file) is suitable?

And I'm also guessing that the stl file strips off the human readable dimensions used when creating the drawing, and has the machine readable stuff encoded into it.

I'm really going to have to hit the local Barnes & Noble and get some books. There's a limit to what I can learn watching YouTube videos.....
www.tinkercad.com is what @jondilly1974 and I have been using ourselves as relative "beginners" at 3D modeling.

Tinkercad is a web based 3D modeler that utilizes basic shapes as base for modeling. You can select shapes, set orientation and size, merge multiple shapes together to create a new shape , and use what's called a Boolean operation to remove parts of shapes.

Boolean example: Cube with a hole in it
- you select a cube shape, adjust it to whatever size
-select the cylinder shape, designate it as a "hole" and place it in the middle of the cube
- select both shapes and merge them

Once merged you are left with a hole in the shape of the cylinder inside the cube.

There are a ton of vids on YouTube on how to use tinkercad and once you get the basics it's pretty powerful. It's cumbersome because you can't really free draw but it's a good way to get started. It can also import .STL 3d modeling files (and a couple other 3D model file types) so you can modify existing designs to suit your needs or use them as a reference, like I wanted to design a servo mount its easy to find models of standard sizes servos that I can import into tinkercad to help me get the dimensions right. I've made a ton of stuff in tinkercad from the Typhon arms, drone parts, and even skids for my snow blower.

And for Cura you can manipulate the model by clicking on it and then selecting the various options that should appear on the left of the screen. Lots of videos on Cura out there too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-201759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-201759_Chrome.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 41
OK, got Cura to work for me. I also have FreeCAD, which is really powerful and can read an stl file.

Are there any "translator" programs that extract the dimensions and/or add them back to the drawing? I'd like to be able to come up with something that you could give to a machine shop, and they could crank out the part. I'm pretty Olde Skool, and would like to have a dimensioned drawing so I could see the dimensions, and get my head wrapped around it better.

Ahh if only i had a 3D printer i could spend the whole day trying to design
I personally used an okd version of cura because the newests verison i did not undestood a crap of what to do

tolerances are great, like within thous. if the printer and slicer settings are spot on.. its always easy to go back into a design and change areas of the model if something is way out.. as for concentric.. depends on how many triangles your mesh has.. the more triangles the more round an object is.. low poly objects (less triangles) will print small flats in a circle to create a circle.. hard to explain..

yes.. thingiverse is loaded with rims.. ?

OOOPS! I missed this reply.

OK, got it now. It's like high resolution graphics cards for gaming...the more and denser polygons you can make, the more accurate the part is. It's like getting the "jaggies" if you blow up a jpg file too big.

OK, got Cura to work for me. I also have FreeCAD, which is really powerful and can read an stl file.

Are there any "translator" programs that extract the dimensions and/or add them back to the drawing? I'd like to be able to come up with something that you could give to a machine shop, and they could crank out the part. I'm pretty Olde Skool, and would like to have a dimensioned drawing so I could see the dimensions, and get my head wrapped around it better.
For what you're wanting that's where other more powerful software you'd have to download and install on your computer come in. I know Fusion360 and Blender are two popular modelers that have those features and are free but I have zero idea how to use them. Tinkercad can do some dimensions but it's limited to XYZ for overall dimensions of an object footprint. There are ways to measure just parts of things in tinkercad but it's very roundabout. So I mostly design as best I can based on base measurements, print a test and measure with calipers and see what needs adjusting, then adjust the model according and try again. I do this over and over until I get it right.

For what you're wanting that's where other more powerful software you'd have to download and install on your computer come in. I know Fusion360 and Blender are two popular modelers that have those features and are free but I have zero idea how to use them. Tinkercad can do some dimensions but it's limited to XYZ for overall dimensions of an object footprint. There are ways to measure just parts of things in tinkercad but it's very roundabout. So I mostly design as best I can based on base measurements, print a test and measure with calipers and see what needs adjusting, then adjust the model according and try again. I do this over and over until I get it right.

Blender can't read an stl file, or at least my version of it can't. It can do 3D rendering, but it's more for making artwork for publications, animation, and things like that. Very powerful, but steep learning curve. I messed around with it a bit for video editing, and it was too advanced for me.

I found a couple of books at Barnes & Noble, but I just checked their website to see if they have "carry out" available, and the entire store is closed.

Guess I'll have to get them online...

Blender can't read an stl file, or at least my version of it can't. It can do 3D rendering, but it's more for making artwork for publications, animation, and things like that. Very powerful, but steep learning curve. I messed around with it a bit for video editing, and it was too advanced for me.
I've seen a lot of vids of people who use blender to render 3D parts and it looks stupid confusing but then I'll find stuff on reddit referring to it and everyone who says its confusing gets told it's the only thing they will use once they learned how to do it. Maybe I should find a course on Skillshare or something to learn it someday.

Found this guide how to use Blender for 3D print modeling purposes in case you want to play around with that more since you already have it installed. If you become and expert let us know lol

https://all3dp.com/2/blender-3d-printing-tutorial-16-easy-steps-for-beginners/

I've seen a lot of vids of people who use blender to render 3D parts and it looks stupid confusing but then I'll find stuff on reddit referring to it and everyone who says its confusing gets told it's the only thing they will use once they learned how to do it. Maybe I should find a course on Skillshare or something to learn it someday.

Found this guide how to use Blender for 3D print modeling purposes in case you want to play around with that more since you already have it installed. If you become and expert let us know lol

https://all3dp.com/2/blender-3d-printing-tutorial-16-easy-steps-for-beginners/

Blender is on here, but I never use it. As you say, it ain't exactly "User Friendly"!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back