Granite 32P Spur Conversion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
There has been a lot written about the 32P spur conversion and unfortunately the info is spread out in several different threads. To make things even more confusing, the procedure/parts have been updated several times. Maybe we can make this the "official" 32P spur gear conversion thread and keep the information current. Jerry is the man when it comes to this conversion and he would probably be the best one to document it. But I will give it a start.

What you will need - Parts List
(1) Axial Spur Gear 32P 56T: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEEYT&P=6
(1) Axial Aluminum Slipper Pad 32.8x15.2x1mm https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERNV (I tried the Axial fiber pads and they could not handle 3s power. They did hold up fine on 2s. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEEYW)
(1) Arrma Pinion Gear 32DP 17T https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUPS&P=6
(2) 10x15x4mm ball bearings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KSNXU8?tag=arrma-20&creativeASIN=B003KSNXU8 These can be sourced at your LHS as well. I actually used bearings that I replaced on my Granite. The inner race from these bearings are used as an insert on the Axial Spur and as a spring spacer on the completed project.
(1) M10 washer - an M10 washer has an inside diameter of 10.5mm and an outside diameter of 20mm. YOu can buy these at any hardware store of Home Depot.

If someone else wants to write up the step by step, feel free. If not, I can give it a go later on.

Last edited:
I am not "The man", I just copied @Megasty - he had the first BLX185 powered MEGA 4x4 (that I know of)... LOL. He made up this conversion, I just promote it... :)

I did a step by step write up, but now I don't like the spiral aluminum spacer I tried. drilling the spur and using a bearing race is much better -

Also, yesterday on FB, there was a guy that made his a double disk slipper - with an extra slipper hub, he filed it down to use on the back side of the slipper, instead of the spacer and M10 washer I used. I like that idea, and will probably soon rebuild my slipper like that.

Last edited:
I edited the parts list to reflect my experience with the Axial fiber pads.

In order to fit the larger 32P pinion,I had modify the engine mount. The 32P 17T pinion is much larger than the stock pinions. Here it is compared to the stock 15T and 17T pinions.
IMG_0580.JPG

You also have to make one of the engine mounting larger and then use a washer on the engine mount screw. Here is what my modified mount looks like:

IMG_0582.JPG

I didn't touch the top 17T hole and used that. I then used the enlarged lower 17T hole:

IMG_0585.JPG

I hope that helps when it comes time to mount the engine with the 32P spur and pinion.

Nice. I was a bit puzzled with it and this clears things up :)

Thanks!

A65730D8-9A2F-45D2-8087-C965FD5970CC.jpeg
Nice work. I finished up mine today.

I used a bronze bushing, 10mm i.d. 13mm o.d. Cut to .177” long and pressed it into the 56t spur(drilled to 13mm)

C7DC7808-2D69-478B-8C0E-020AB1D2B295.jpeg
Without slotting the motor mount hole, the 17/56 will install into the housing, but the gear mesh is way to tight.

View attachment 20595 Nice work. I finished up mine today.

I used a bronze bushing, 10mm i.d. 13mm o.d. Cut to .177” long and pressed it into the 56t spur(drilled to 13mm)

Nice work. My Yeti conversion assembly busted the slipper hub. I’m going to rebuild it and go with the Arrma 32P 57T spur and dual slipper hubs. That’s what’s on my Granite and so far so good.

View attachment 20596 Without slotting the motor mount hole, the 17/56 will install into the housing, but the gear mesh is way to tight.

I really had to play with mine to get it just right. A lot the 17 with the one next to it. Go low arc. Then you will have a ton of adjustment space.

393C98F2-E1F7-4531-8625-B025D2A7FF0A.jpeg
I slotted the top hole with a dremel tool, went a little ways each way so I can mount a 15 thru 18 pinion. This mesh is set with a piece of paper.

Nice work. My Yeti conversion assembly busted the slipper hub. I’m going to rebuild it and go with the Arrma 32P 57T spur and dual slipper hubs. That’s what’s on my Granite and so far so good.
I ordered a spare slipper hub today. My slipper is set loose. I can’t believe how quiet the gear whine is now with this set up!

Man, I may have to jump in on this conversion if only to QUIET DOWN that damned gear noise! Seems silly, but the gear howl from this truck has been driving me nuts ever since the beginning.
BigStick: is yours a double slipper like Bicketybam's?

Man, I may have to jump in on this conversion if only to QUIET DOWN that damned gear noise! Seems silly, but the gear howl from this truck has been driving me nuts ever since the beginning.
BigStick: is yours a double slipper like Bicketybam's?

My double slipper is like another member’s. But everyone is trying something different which is cool.

I just ordered everything from the new 3s blx senton to avoid doing all the fab work. Chassis is same so I'm hoping its a direct swap, I know the parts just became available, but does anybody know if this will work?

I had a Arrma rep on the FB page say the "power module" was a drop in fit. I don't know if the new slipper will fit the old power module, though.

Jerry,

An chance to get the link to that thread on the FB group, its difficult to stay on top of the narrative there at times.

An chance to get the link to that thread on the FB group, its difficult to stay on top of the narrative there at times.

That was a few weeks ago. And yeah, I kind of hate the FB group because of this. Stuff drops off and is near impossible to find. The FB search tool is almost useless too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back